Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   04 TJ question rear axel (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/04-tj-question-rear-axel-22331.html)

soundline 10-16-2008 11:59 AM

04 TJ question rear axel

I am wondering if these two problems were related to anything and what you guys think.

1. The seal that keeps the gear oil in the pumkin went out right where the driveline goes into the rear axel.

2. Driver's side rear brake line cracked and I lost brakes coming down a pretty good hill on the freeway.

Here's what I have done to my jeep:
AEM Brute Force Intake
Banks Cat-Back Exhaust
Poweraide Throttle Body Spacer
Kelly Discovery 30x9.50 tires
American Racing Titan 15x8 Wheels
Olympic Rear tube bumper
Warn Front Bumper
Warrior Black diamond plating

The jeep itself is an 04 Soft top with 55k mi on it and the 4.0 with a manual trans. I bought it used in january and I have only taken it up once. I did some light mudding and some very mild crawling, I didn't even hit the bumpstops. Gotta know your limits when you're the only rig out there and you don't have a winch.

Thanks.

Jerry Bransford 10-16-2008 12:11 PM

A leaky pinion shaft seal is common, but a minor thing and easily/inexpensively replaced. A common cause of leaky pinion seals is a vibration in the drivetrain, are all of your angles ok and you don't feel any vibes while you drive? A cracked rear brake line is almost certainly caused by an impact, that isn't common.

soundline 10-16-2008 12:48 PM

Jerry, thanks for your quick response to this preplexing problem.

The seal occured first and then about four months later I had the brake line go out. I don't really have any vibration issues except for the increase from the tires. Here's a picture of my jeep pretty much how she sits now.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL449.../338972438.jpg

There are no modifications to the suspension and all of my angles appear to be okay. Everything is OEM and it all appears to be in good condition. The only thing I've changed is the tires/wheels in that dept and those were straight off my mother in law's 02 TJ when she traded it in for an 07 JK.

Jerry Bransford 10-16-2008 12:51 PM

Then no worries. I would just have a 4x4 shop (not a general garage which will likely charge more) replace your rear pinion seal and not worry about it. I've already had to replace both my front and rear pinion seals, it is no big deal. You've probably already had the brake line replaced by now. :)

soundline 10-16-2008 01:03 PM

Yep, that was an in the driveway fix. The pinion seal was replaced at the local jeep dealer under warranty.

I just looked at your web page jerry, and your jeep is an inspiration. It's really well put together and thought out. I'd like to see mine half that cool.

The last thing is that I was just told that this could be caused by a bad shock, but I got that info from someone with less over all technical experience than I have. Does this sound right? How would I check that aside from the standard bouncing on the bumper test?

Jerry Bransford 10-16-2008 01:18 PM

Not sure how a bad shock could cause either problem, it's probably not very likely at all. Bouncing on the bumper test is a good way to test a shock but removing it to test its action is best. Be aware if you remove a shock to test it, that not all shocks extend out on their own when removed, only gas-charged shocks do. Hydraulic shocks are "standard" and only resist moving in and out, they will not move or extend back out from the position they're left in. Neither shock should be easily compressable or pulled apart which is the sign of a bad shock.

Your Jeep isn't so old I'd think the shocks are likely bad, though it can happen. I just don't think what happened to you was caused by that. Thanks for the compliments on the website. :)

By the way, I'm a vet too... RVN though so I'm getting up there. What's OIF?

soundline 10-16-2008 01:55 PM

Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Republic of Vietnam was a rough one, I don't know how you guys did it. It took some real tough bastards to fight in those jungles. I'd still be in the service but I broke my back on a mission and got sent packing. So now I just cash my VA check and call it a day. I'll be starting a new job in April, since construction is kicking my ass.

Thanks again for your help, it responds the way that it should for the bumper test, and I'll be replacing those shocks once my wife gets outta school. I want to do a 2.5" lift and run 32x11.50's. I just want to keep it moderate for the street and limited off roading that I'll be doing. Since I'm moving to a high desert with lots of wicked wind I don't want to go up too high or it will make the jeep a kite.

Jerry Bransford 10-16-2008 02:00 PM

Wow, broken back... at least you made it back in one piece. Welcome back brother.

Brewski 10-16-2008 02:02 PM

lots of vets on here....could there be a connection btwn military and jeeps??? lol i was in OIF 3 when were you there sound?

soundline 10-16-2008 02:41 PM

I was there for Operation Red Dawn, then I was pulled back into Qatar where I sat out four four months and then returned home. So I was in Iraq from early Nov 03 until late december.

I'm glad I made it out too. Wish I could have stayed in, I had a pretty sweet gig set up, but now I need to find a new line of work. I saw a sign saying that Wendy's was hiring for night mangers...

Brewski 10-16-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundline (Post 273108)
I was there for Operation Red Dawn, then I was pulled back into Qatar where I sat out four four months and then returned home. So I was in Iraq from early Nov 03 until late december.

I'm glad I made it out too. Wish I could have stayed in, I had a pretty sweet gig set up, but now I need to find a new line of work. I saw a sign saying that Wendy's was hiring for night mangers...

Qatar is nice ill give you that. i was in iraq from jan 05 to jan 06. glad your alright man, too many dont come back that way. keep on keepin on!

stevens243 10-16-2008 07:29 PM

Cool, lotsa Vets!

20 year Navy here...

Glad you got back and glad you are in shape to go out jeepn!

soundline 10-16-2008 07:45 PM

Well, when it was all said and done I ended up with 27 stress fractures and the bottom two vertebra move. So no big jumps for me, but I still take her up. Since I'm now 27 and it's been a couple years I'm in pretty good shape. But my wife took me up in her stock YJ about two months after I got hurt and it was really bad.

Dunno, there's something about Jeeps that calms me down. I don't know if you other guys are like that, but when my head gets stuck with all the crap the military gives you and I need to go get some fresh air I just hop in my TJ and go to the woods. So when it doesn't work for what ever reason it's like a part of me is down. Seems like the nightmares get worse when I know I don't have that outlet.

But, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this one.

cavediverjc 10-16-2008 07:56 PM

Welcome back, brother. I'm going through the medboard process right now....not a fun time for me. Glad to know you're ok!!

dbbd1 10-16-2008 10:26 PM

I missed all of the wars, but I served.

soundline 10-17-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbd1 (Post 273244)
I missed all of the wars, but I served.

I wouldn't say missed. You didn't miss anything.

Good luck on the med board. Those things can get nasty... What did you do? If you need any help with it let me know, I've been all the way through it.