Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   noisy hardtop, anyone else have this problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/noisy-hardtop-anyone-else-have-this-problem-22354.html)

za_mhz 10-17-2008 06:10 AM

noisy hardtop, anyone else have this problem

Hey guys quick question for anyone who has some time. My hardtop is making a rattle noise. I think its the back window, everytime i hit a bump it seems to swing out of place. Its doesn't swing open, but moves enough to let in road noise. I have a 2005 rubicon unlimited. Thanks for any insight.:banghead:

Hitchhiker 10-17-2008 08:32 AM

Check the screws on the hinges for some being loose?

Regards,
Richard

Reclaimer 10-17-2008 09:11 AM

hmmm...mine rattles enough to be heard but i never really worried about it...after all, its still there!

wavebacktothetj 10-17-2008 01:09 PM

Mine is doing the same thing then I figured it out, on mine I had to put pressure on the sides in order to screw it down all the way, have someone apply some pressure on the rear sides as you screw down the back screws, but it could just be my top, who knows

vettefever5 10-17-2008 02:39 PM

try checking the screws that hold the hinges on, but also check the strut window bolts. i know the bushing that goes on the strut bolt on mine is a little chewed up, so if the bolt is loose and the bushing is shot then it might be the metal screw clanking against the window.

also maybe the wiper motor is loose? there's not many parts in the back of the hard top other than the things connected to the window that would make noise when a bump is hit, so the options should be fairly limited. that is unless the top is not bolted down tightly and the top/body gasket is missing, could be causing the top to flex/rattle.

cavediverjc 10-17-2008 03:06 PM

Mine's quiet, but you guys have me thinking now.......guess I'll check all my fasteners back there this weekend and tighten any loose ones. Thanks for the heads up!

wavebacktothetj 10-17-2008 05:54 PM

also check and see if maybe your hardtop is tapping against your sound bar mine was doing that and I just put a rubber strip that had adhesive on the back on top of my sound bar and no more tapping noise when I hit a bump

Triple88a 10-17-2008 06:13 PM

btw you do have a rubber lining between the hard top and the body right? How about a rubber lining between the window and the trunk door?

dweebster 10-17-2008 10:29 PM

i think the rattling maybe coming from the bar on top and your hard top. thatwas my problem so i just bought a piece of weather strip and placed it when your driving on the highway see if your hard top bounces of the lining of your jeep. the spot should be where your sound bar would be the bar that goes across

stevens243 10-17-2008 10:43 PM

The FIRST thing I always look at when I'm getting a rattle is the stupid visors. When someone or something pops one out it rattles to beat the band and if you don't look, you'll never find the cause...

ih8pepl73 10-18-2008 02:36 PM

When I had my hardtop on my '04 Unlimited, I had the same rattling noise. I found out that it was the window hinge screws. Check them, if they are loose, take off one at a time and but some Loctite on them. Also, check your rear top-to-body screws.

Later on, I found that the cover that covers all the wiring/w-fluid line was a little loose. Try some type of silicone.

As far as the rubber strip across the tailgate, mine had it on there and it not only helped with the windnoise, but also helped hold the window close tighter. I just took my strip off to put my soft top on. I got rid of my hardtop.

76flh 10-18-2008 05:39 PM

do the hard tops whistle like the soft top does at the front at the top.

za_mhz 10-18-2008 10:34 PM

thanks

Wow alot of replies. Thanks guys i'm going to double check the bolts on my hardtop. One thing though, at the bottom of my window i have a seal, but not at the top of my tailgate. Am i supposed to have one there as well?