Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How does Treadlightly discount work for discount on a new JK Wrangler? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-does-treadlightly-discount-work-for-discount-on-a-new-jk-wrangler-223671.html)

ruxerr 02-26-2013 01:50 PM

How does Treadlightly discount work for discount on a new JK Wrangler?

Can someone please explain to me how the treadlightly discount works. I apologize if this has already been asked. If so, could you please direct me to the forum where it is explained. I am finally in a position to get the Jeep I have always wanted and was reading these forums and came across someone mentioning the discount.
btw, looking for a 12-13 new unlimited
Rob

Beastmaster 02-26-2013 02:19 PM

So, you're looking to use the TL discount on buying a new Jeep? All I've used mine for was a rebate from Goodyear on a set of tires. I'll change the title and move this to the JK area so you can get better answers.

Duckquackers 02-26-2013 02:41 PM

ruxerr, you have to be a member for at least 30 days, tread lightly sends you a welcome letter after they get their 100 donation and you take that letter to the dealership of your choice. Works on all Jeeps from what I was told and I had no issues.

Blastek 02-26-2013 02:49 PM

Tread lightly just makes you part of the "Chrysler Affiliates" program. A lot of workplaces are already a member of this program, so you may be able to get the 1% below invoice deal through your work.

Although it says you must be a member for 30 days, a lot of dealers will honor the code from the tread lightly program regardless. There's usually a $75 doc fee when you use the affiliates discount.

Up Hill Bill 02-26-2013 02:59 PM

There is no such thing as a Tread Lightly discount.

Membership in Tread Lightly makes you eligible for the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program.

After joining, TL will send you a "company code" in the mail. With that code, you can go to Chrysler's Affiliate Rewards website (https://www.chrysleraffiliates.com/l...tPricingLayout) and get your control number.

With the control number and the membership letter from TL, most dealers will give you the Affiliate price of 1% under factory invoice.

Chrysler requires participating dealers (who get a 2% credit from Chrysler with the deal) to follow a lot of rules to make sure you know you are getting the right price with no hassles.

You are supposed to be a member of TL for 30 days before you take delivery of your vehicle.... but, whose counting?

Best way to buy IMHO! :thumb:

flyinion 02-26-2013 03:04 PM

The way it worked when I used it last year was sign up for the 3 year membership to qualify, TL sends you a welcome package that includes a letter with a code on it. After 30 days you qualify for the discount and you have to go sign up at a Chrysler website that enrolls you in the Chrysler affiliate program which is the current source of the discount. You actually apply for a special discount code there and bring the affiliate information with you to the dealer. I don't remember if it was required or not, but I did bring my TL with me as well. Apparently the discount used to be directly through TL but in 2011 or 2012 model year (from what I gathered from reading around here) it changed to Chrysler gave them access to the affiliate program directly. It's the same discount, just a different way of getting it.

Like Blastek says, some employers that already give you access to the program and that would save you the TL fee. I thought the website had a list of the affiliates but the only thing I could find quickly on Google was this one on some dealer's website Chrysler Jeep Dodge Affiliates Program

panthermark 02-26-2013 03:28 PM

Everything you need to know is in this forum.
Fields Jeep - Jeep Wrangler Forum and in this thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f127/af...es-142036.html.
Thanks Pat!

BadOleRoss 02-26-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3423794)
There is no such thing as a Tread Lightly discount.

Membership in Tread Lightly makes you eligible for the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program.

After joining, TL will send you a "company code" in the mail. With that code, you can go to Chrysler's Affiliate Rewards website (https://www.chrysleraffiliates.com/l...tPricingLayout) and get your control number.

With the control number and the membership letter from TL, most dealers will give you the Affiliate price of 1% under factory invoice.

Chrysler requires participating dealers (who get a 2% credit from Chrysler with the deal) to follow a lot of rules to make sure you know you are getting the right price with no hassles.

You are supposed to be a member of TL for 30 days before you take delivery of your vehicle.... but, whose counting?

Best way to buy IMHO! :thumb:

This is a great explanation of the program. I used it myself when I bought my 2013 and it could not have been easier. If you like to haggle you may be able to get a better price and save a few hundred bucks but if you are like me and don't want to bother with the whole haggle process this is the way to go.

ruxerr 02-28-2013 08:24 AM

Thanks I appreciate the info and the links. Will post pics if this all works out as I hope.

lee indy 02-28-2013 08:32 AM

i used TL on one jeep and USAA car buying on the other. both were about the same.

kjwhite622 04-18-2013 05:56 PM

What are some prices of what you paid with the 2% under invoice. Is it worth it? The reason for the question is I am looking at trading my 10' in for a 13', just wondering what the difference is below sticker. I have not went to a dealer yet to see what invoice $ is yet.

Blastek 04-18-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjwhite622 (Post 3653577)
What are some prices of what you paid with the 2% under invoice. Is it worth it? The reason for the question is I am looking at trading my 10' in for a 13', just wondering what the difference is below sticker. I have not went to a dealer yet to see what invoice $ is yet.

use edmunds.com to price out the vehicle and get the invoice. i paid about 27 out the door. MSRP sticker was 30,360

fv9 04-18-2013 06:21 PM

I dont know about where you love, but it was easy to get internet quote 6% below invoice where I live. Much better than the TL discount.

mcdull 04-18-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fv9 (Post 3653660)
I dont know about where you love, but it was easy to get internet quote 6% below invoice where I live. Much better than the TL discount.

Agreed. TL discount is your last resort that the dealer can't refuse. Many of us got much better than TL . When I got my JKU, I told them I have TL and they simply told me their discount was a lot lower than that.

kjwhite622 04-18-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdull (Post 3653892)

Agreed. TL discount is your last resort that the dealer can't refuse. Many of us got much better than TL . When I got my JKU, I told them I have TL and they simply told me their discount was a lot lower than that.

How did you go about doing that? Did they have the one you wanted or order it for you? What if they don't have the one I want, how do I get that discount?

RoadiJeff 04-18-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjwhite622 (Post 3653577)
What are some prices of what you paid with the 2% under invoice.

Unless they've changed it since I bought mine a few months ago it's 1% below invoice, not 2%. You can go to cars.com and get the invoice price.

fv9 04-18-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjwhite622 (Post 3654007)
How did you go about doing that? Did they have the one you wanted or order it for you? What if they don't have the one I want, how do I get that discount?

Email dealers and tell them what you are looking for. Ask for their lowest quote. You can figure out invoice on Edmunds. Also, you can build what you want on Jeep.com and then check local inventory. You can email those dealers.

And yes, they would have ordered for the same discount.

pvf 10-25-2013 11:01 AM

So, let's say I've negotiated invoice minus the holdback (around $1,1,00 in my case). If I THEN presented the TL document, would I be able to realize another 2% below my prior negotiated price without the dealer loosing any more skin (total of 3% below invoice)?

RoadiJeff 10-25-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvf (Post 5643113)
So, let's say I've negotiated invoice minus the holdback (around $1,1,00 in my case). If I THEN presented the TL document, would I be able to realize another 2% below my prior negotiated price without the dealer loosing any more skin (total of 3% below invoice)?

They will offer you the TL (Affiliate Rewards) discount of 1% off the ORIGINAL invoice price. It has nothing to do with any other negotiations you may have done.

pvf 10-25-2013 11:37 AM

My understanding is that participating in Affiliate Pricing credits the dealers 2% of MSRP. If you buy at AR pricing (-1%), they actually make more money than if you'd bought at invoice. Is this correct?

Hallvalla 10-25-2013 11:50 AM

I signed up for TL ($100) and got the membership back within a week with the codes. It's good for a Plan B.

panthermark 10-25-2013 12:08 PM

Everything about the discount can be found in these threads.

Fields Jeep - Jeep Wrangler Forum