Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Help With Carpet (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/help-with-carpet-223869.html)

JeepWrangler09 02-27-2013 11:22 AM

Help With Carpet

Hi everyone , I have an 09 Jeep Wrangler ; long story short the cops ripped apart my car's carpet due to thinking there was something in my car because I have a good looking jeep for an 18 year old(nothing found as usual). Anyways , the front passenger side keeps coming out and it's making my car look like crap. I tried glueing it down but I guess it was too cold and the glue came off and didn't stick. My question to everyone is ; what type of glue should I use or buy to glue the carpet( as to brands, cost). Does anyone have any recommendations ? Thanks a lot !

cory05tj 02-27-2013 01:24 PM

If they tore apart your car and you didn't commit a crime they pay for all damages. At least that's how it happened for me. Dog scratched the door all up and tore my leather seat. He was hitting on a bag of beef jerky in my car. They paid for everything. Just a thought!

JeepWrangler09 02-27-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cory05tj
If they tore apart your car and you didn't commit a crime they pay for all damages. At least that's how it happened for me. Dog scratched the door all up and tore my leather seat. He was hitting on a bag of beef jerky in my car. They paid for everything. Just a thought!

Appreciate it! They won't though I complained all ready , do you know of anywhere I can pay for brand new carpeting of glue to just glue it down?

Steve305 02-27-2013 06:39 PM

Hmmmmmmm ....................

They usually have a reasonably good reason to suspect something before they start a vehicle search. Did you smart-mouth them or something?

cory05tj 02-28-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3429865)

They usually have a reasonably good reason to suspect something before they start a vehicle search. Did you smart-mouth them or something?

Nope. I was parked at the high school parking lot. They randomly bring dogs and go thru the lot as well as let them walk thru and sniff the lockers inside. He hit on my car and they came and pulled me out of class to unlock it. When I got outside I noticed the scratches by the door handle. Then when I opened it they let him hop in on my leather seat. Ended up finding a bag of jalapeno beef jerky. I threw a fit. A big one. They paid to have scratches buffed out and for the leather repair since it was a bad search.

cory05tj 02-28-2013 12:21 AM

And I just noticed you probably were directing that question at the op. But now you know my story too! Haha

CowboySnR 02-28-2013 12:23 AM

They are liable for damages and if they don't repair all damages you have grounds for a lawsuit.

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 06:56 AM

Does anyone know any websites where I can buy carpet (specifically charcoal color ) or recommend any glue companies to glue it down

caninecop 02-28-2013 10:27 AM

This will not answer your original post, but it may help someone else that runs into the same problem. If needed I will post my background to give credibility to what I am suggesting. Anytime you are stopped and your vehicle is search by a canine unit, prior to leaving, CHECK the vehicle outside and inside to determine if any damage was done. If you find any problems scratches, torn seat or any other problem caused by the canine search, point this out to the officer in charge of the police conducting the search. If you are not satisfied with the officer on site request to speak with a supervisor. The number one thing is to do this in politely and calm manner. You get into a pissing contest you are going to lose, donít go there. You can always follow up with a higher authority.

Rubicon1968 02-28-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3429865)

Ya thats a good reason to throw away the 4th amendment.. Get an attorney he will get paid by the police too.. The worst part of police dogs is you can't cross examine them in court which is why a dog should never be a reason to lose your rights.. I respect the police and am nice to them on the spot but after that its attorney and complaint/lawsuit time.. The dog search is a joke as they are controlled and trained by cops who have one goal-to search your car which is easy when you know how to make a trained dog to bark.. Drop some hot red peppers in the creases of your seats and I'll show you a dog howling...lol

cmaggi2 02-28-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3431998)
Does anyone know any websites where I can buy carpet (specifically charcoal color ) or recommend any glue companies to glue it down

Does the carpet have glue? I took mine out by hand and there didn't seem to be any resistance.

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaggi2

Does the carpet have glue? I took mine out by hand and there didn't seem to be any resistance.

It didn't. I want to glue it down though

cmaggi2 02-28-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3433917)

It didn't. I want to glue it down though

I see now. How much carpet are you looking for? I have the complete set for a 2 Dr, but it wouldn't fit.

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaggi2

I see now. How much carpet are you looking for? I have the complete set for a 2 Dr, but it wouldn't fit.

I have an 09 jeep wrangler and I only need it for the front two ! There the ones that are messed up

cmaggi2 02-28-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3434153)

I have an 09 jeep wrangler and I only need it for the front two ! There the ones that are messed up

Are they messed up that bad? I'm gonna bedline soon and just leave the Quadratech liners. I have a complete set in charcoal gray for a 2010.

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaggi2 (Post 3434266)

Are they messed up that bad? I'm gonna bedline soon and just leave the Quadratech liners. I have a complete set in charcoal gray for a 2010.

Yeah there horrible! If you have no use for them I'd love to buy it off you. Will it work for an 09 4 door wrangler though?

JoeBot13 02-28-2013 05:24 PM

Lol ... dont bash the man for doing their jobs ... the 4th amendment has nothing to do with it because you have to give consent to search ... I don't think that they will pay because the OP's carpet won't stay put ... No damage

That being said... You will probably have to remove all the plastic along the floor boards, rerun the carpet, then pop the plastic back in place ... Just sounds like the carpet isn't seating properly ... Can't always just slide it back into place ... I have an 08 and pulled the carpet a long time ago in lieu of Bedliner and PVC mats ... Nothing (glue or otherwise) was holding the carpet down

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3434375)
Lol ... dont bash the man for doing their jobs ... the 4th amendment has nothing to do with it because you have to give consent to search ... I don't think that they will pay because the OP's carpet won't stay put ... No damage

That being said... You will probably have to remove all the plastic along the floor boards, rerun the carpet, then pop the plastic back in place ... Just sounds like the carpet isn't seating properly ... Can't always just slide it back into place ... I have an 08 and pulled the carpet a long time ago in lieu of Bedliner and PVC mats ... Nothing (glue or otherwise) was holding the carpet down

So you were in the same boat as me 😑 do you have any recommendations ?

JoeBot13 02-28-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3434696)
So you were in the same boat as me 😑 do you have any recommendations ?

Try to remove the plastic under the door seams ... And put the carpet back down making sure that its straight as you can get it ... Then put the plastic back on ... Should work ... Careful with the glues ... Some of them can melt the carpet ... I think the plastic trick should work though

JeepWrangler09 02-28-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3434720)

Try to remove the plastic under the door seams ... And put the carpet back down making sure that its straight as you can get it ... Then put the plastic back on ... Should work ... Careful with the glues ... Some of them can melt the carpet ... I think the plastic trick should work though

Awesome thanks I'm gonna try it tomorrow

cmaggi2 03-01-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3436215)

Awesome thanks I'm gonna try it tomorrow

Try that first, and if it doesn't work I'll see if the carpet will fit. Do you have any close up pics of the damage?

JeepWrangler09 03-01-2013 07:06 AM

Yeah I can later today! I appreciate all the help !

JeepWrangler09 03-01-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaggi2 (Post 3436982)

Try that first, and if it doesn't work I'll see if the carpet will fit. Do you have any close up pics of the damage?

Thanks man and yeah I can take some

cmaggi2 03-01-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWrangler09 (Post 3437155)
Yeah I can later today! I appreciate all the help !

Since I don't know the scope of the damage, this might not work-but could you just use velcro?

krazybob 03-01-2013 09:12 AM

Go to a home center like Home Depot, and get the adhesive for laying indoor/outdoor carpeting. It will do the job for you....

JeepWrangler09 03-01-2013 02:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by krazybob (Post 3437623)
Go to a home center like Home Depot, and get the adhesive for laying indoor/outdoor carpeting. It will do the job for you....

Attachment 216182

Attachment 216192

As you can see its messed up. Just the front passenger side. What do you think ?

jeffmarion 03-01-2013 02:34 PM

I urge you not to glue it down. It is a Jeep after all.

The previous owner of my Jeep glued the carpet down, and when I went to remove it, it was a major hassle trying to remove all the freaking glue. I would maybe use some double sided carpet tape on that one little section if it really concerns you.

jeffmarion 03-01-2013 02:35 PM

oops, after seeing the picture, it just looks like it need to be pushed back under the center console

JoeBot13 03-01-2013 02:36 PM

It is a pain in the ass to do ... but that excess carpet needs to be tucked under the center console ... which means that you are probably going to have to take the center console out first ... unless you can jimmy it up there with something

JeepWrangler09 03-01-2013 02:52 PM

Every time I slip it up there it comes undone -___- it's not enough carpet to stick up there it's like ripped apart. I just want to replace it. Anyone have any carpet for sale?