Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Base stereo upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/base-stereo-upgrade-224311.html)

Skinny44 03-01-2013 05:17 AM

Base stereo upgrade
 
I have a 2010 4 dr wrangler with nothing but the most basic of stock stereo Sys (not even a sub). As you can imagine when I drop the soft top and remove the doors, it's nearly impossible to even hear who's playing let alone enjoy it. This is a weekend driver vehicle and I'm in the over 40 I don't wanna piss off the neighbors mode in life, but I need some better sound!!!! I would like to spend $1500 installed if that will get me anything but not sure where to put the money? The local high end place wants over $3k but is basically replacing everything. I was considering a new head unit, a sub with a nice Amp and seeing if that buys me much improvement before gutting all speakers etc. Any thoughts? Thank you much!

Jma20a 03-01-2013 11:49 AM

Start with a headunit first and see what that does for you. Of you still need better sound than upgrade the speakers. And depending on how loud you want to go you can pickup a 5 channel amp to power the speakers and a sub.

spr0k3t 03-01-2013 12:41 PM

I would upgrade the head unit and the stock speakers at least. It shouldn't cost $3K for that. A good aftermarket radio which pushes out 50W per channel is a great place to start. When you replace the head unit, make sure it has pre-amp outputs in case you want to add amps or subs.

Skinny44 03-01-2013 04:16 PM

Thank you for the feedback, sounds like a good place to start. I have heard my buddy's high end stock stereo in his jeep and it rocks out nicely so I wasn't surebifbi could just add the same amp and keep the head unit stock to deter theft etc........

Jma20a 03-01-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spr0k3t (Post 3438585)
IA good aftermarket radio which pushes out 50W per channel is a great place to start. .

Thats 50 peak power rms would be around 20 tops.

Mattk11 03-02-2013 07:05 AM

I replaced everything, hew HU, new Focal speakers, 4 channel 300w amp, 10" sub and 300w sub amp all for about $1200. That includes a custom sub box fiberglassed in the stock location and custom soundbar. It isn't that bad if you want to do the install yourself. There are plenty of places to buy equipment online at huge savings and plenty of step by step instructions to do it yourself. Btw, I'm in the 40+ crowd as well and the new stereo makes my "high end" Alpine premium system sound like a cheap Kraco system from Kmart.

Skinny44 03-06-2013 07:33 AM

For my $1700 budget (installed) they are recommending a Alpine cde-134 hd HU, pioneer TS-D1702r speakers (all) with alpine KTP-445u amp and JL 10w1 10" sub w JX 250/1 (250watt) amp. All installed and sub under rear seat (somehow?). I'm guessing based on prod reviews this will give me some nice sound, especially over the most base stock Sys minus sub that I have now? Anyone agree or have any "don't do it" comments? Thanks again!

coastalwrangler 03-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinny44 (Post 3464996)
For my $1700 budget (installed) they are recommending a Alpine cde-134 hd HU, pioneer TS-D1702r speakers (all) with alpine KTP-445u amp and JL 10w1 10" sub w JX 250/1 (250watt) amp. All installed and sub under rear seat (somehow?). I'm guessing based on prod reviews this will give me some nice sound, especially over the most base stock Sys minus sub that I have now? Anyone agree or have any "don't do it" comments? Thanks again!

Before you jump on that you should shop around online and read reviews. You could probably find better speakers than the pioneers and a better sub/amp combo for cheaper than their quote. I've heard many good things about those small alpine amps, but if you go with an alpine head unit get the plug and play model. I think it's the same model number without the U on the end and much easier to install. As for subs if you want to go with a big name look at jl's w3 line or alpine type r's. if you're open to suggestion look at SSA's (sound solutions audio) website and check out some of their subs (ssa dcon line in particular). They have great quality products for cheaper prices than a company such as jl. The jx model amps are great because you can fit them in a lot of tight places. As for installation, wranglers are probably the easiest car to install a sound system in yourself. You could save a lot of money by doing this and get to know your jeep a lot better.

I think I covered everything but if you have any questions just ask :). I just got through doing this to my jeep so everything I read is still fresh in my mind.

eboven 03-06-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalwrangler (Post 3467117)
...You could probably find better speakers than the pioneers...

While I typically don't recommend Pioneer's new product line, the TS-D series speakers are actually excellent speakers for the price. I have the 5.25 component set in my TJ running off my Alpine 5-channel under the dash and they sound amazing. I have run many brands of speakers from Focal to Alpine, and I am still very impressed with the TS-D's. Just my $.02

st1264 03-07-2013 10:46 PM

Road/wind noise will not help your sound... sounds like you want LOUD. I've spent serious money on good car audio, but wind and road noise will just mask your tunes. I have some subs/amps left over from my trade-in, I'll see if I do anything to my new JKU I am picking up. Not sure if it's worth it.

If I'm going topless in the summertime, I won't be hearing much music anyway, unless I'm pushing at least 800W of high current like I was before. Putting a huge sub box in the back like in my WJ sounded good, but then I lost most of my storage space. Don't think I'd do it again.

ALjeep 03-08-2013 06:53 AM

Just got the Sony DSX-S210BTX Digital Media Receiver yesterday from Crutchfield yesterday for $119; planning on installing this weekend using factory speakers for now. Will let you know how it compares to factory.

st1264 03-08-2013 11:42 AM

Are there aftermarket units that will receive the Sirius satellite signal? Is it transferable to another HU? 1yr is paid, so I might as well use it.

spr0k3t 03-08-2013 01:08 PM

There are several aftermarket head units. Some of them require an external tuner. Yes, you can transfer your account to another radio... there's probably going to be a fee to do it though.

st1264 03-09-2013 12:27 AM

To be perfectly honest... after checking out what Satellite radio has to offer, it's garbage. I'm just using FM, which has horrible reception (when my Alpine HU in my other vehicle worked perfectly).

Jma20a 03-09-2013 01:11 AM

Find a unit that has supports the pandora app off your smart phone rather than sirius or xm

37Olivestreetbrews 03-09-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 3480264)
Find a unit that has supports the pandora app off your smart phone rather than sirius or xm

Won't that kill your data usage if your not on a limitless plan?

Jma20a 03-09-2013 01:04 PM

It takes up very little data usage. I have the lowest data plan and dont come close to going over, i also use my gps app a few times a week.

kpfalconi 03-11-2013 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I know it is opposite of what you were planning to do but I went the speaker route first. I did the plug and play Mopar/Kicker dash and sound bar speaker upgrade which ran me about $150 for all 4 speakers and IMO the difference is huge. The install was pretty easy and painless (taking apart the dash was the biggest PITA) and the sound is much clearer, crisper and louder even with the base factory head unit. I cut the covering off the original factory speaker and took a side-by-side pic just to see what the difference between the two was and its honestly night and day. The speakers that came stock are nothing but large glorified clock speakers IMO. I would start there and see what you think first. Regardless, you will still more than likely end up swapping out the speakers anyway. FYI - I have a 2012 JK Sport that came with the base factory system. :thumb:

st1264 03-11-2013 12:20 PM

Thanks for the stock/aftermarket pic. I'm assuming those stock speakers have paper woofers. That magnet is pitiful. Just a change in speakers most likely will garner a large improvement.

Factory stuff is put in there because it's the "cheapest stuff to make it sound acceptable". It keeps cost down and those who care for better stuff can swap it out. I seriously doubt the "premium Alpine" system has anything better than the Kicker's you put in.

I bet the "muddy" sound is gone now.

ALjeep 03-12-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 3481558)
It takes up very little data usage. I have the lowest data plan and dont come close to going over, i also use my gps app a few times a week.

Just installed a new head unit over the weekend and what an improvement in sound. I haven't touched the factory speakers yet but I'm sure that is in the near future. Sounds great setting still but not as good at 70MPH due to road noise. It is also Pandora compatible which is pretty cool and works well.

st1264 03-12-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALjeep (Post 3492919)
Just installed a new head unit over the weekend and what an improvement in sound. I haven't touched the factory speakers yet but I'm sure that is in the near future. Sounds great setting still but not as good at 70MPH due to road noise. It is also Pandora compatible which is pretty cool and works well.

New HU = More Power... Better Sound. Change speakers=even better. Add an amp=5x as good, add a Sub...

It has begun. The sky is the limit, try not to spend too much :punk:

kpfalconi 03-12-2013 10:38 AM

Yeah its definitely not "muddy" anymore. The main difference is the distortion I would get from the bass on the stock speakers is now gone. I thought about a new head unit as well but decided to hold off because I liked the factory look of the stock head unit (also a theft deterrent) and I wanted to retain the use of steering wheel controls. I know you can get after-market head units that will allow you to retain then but I figured I would try the lazy route first and see how I liked it.

st1264 03-12-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpfalconi (Post 3493068)
Yeah its definitely not "muddy" anymore. The main difference is the distortion I would get from the bass on the stock speakers is now gone. I thought about a new head unit as well but decided to hold off because I liked the factory look of the stock head unit (also a theft deterrent) and I wanted to retain the use of steering wheel controls. I know you can get after-market head units that will allow you to retain then but I figured I would try the lazy route first and see how I liked it.

Thanks for the update. Still wondering where you guys can get 4 speakers for $150... I see those Kickers for $99/pair and the shallow & regular Polk's everyone is using for $119/pair in Canada. What are the Model #'s so I can search?

If someone can post some links I can order from the US to a PO Box in Detroit (live 5 minutes away) and go pick the stuff up. Everything is so expensive here, then add 13% sales tax :banghead:

st1264 03-12-2013 01:19 PM

Is it possible just to change the rear speakers and not bother with the ones in the dash? I'm assuming all the speakers are 4ohms...

Are these the Kickers? $69.99 cdn, free shipping, out of stock though.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Kicker_11D..._p/206ds60.htm

coastalwrangler 03-12-2013 02:08 PM

Yeah it's possible to do that but it would move your sound stage to the back a lot with the difference in the speakers. Check out the Polk db521's on amazon. Cheap and water resistant. I just put those in mine and they sound good without an amp.

st1264 03-12-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalwrangler (Post 3493844)
Yeah it's possible to do that but it would move your sound stage to the back a lot with the difference in the speakers. Check out the Polk db521's on amazon. Cheap and water resistant. I just put those in mine and they sound good without an amp.

You put 5.25"'s in a 6.5" opening?

coastalwrangler 03-12-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3494425)
You put 5.25"'s in a 6.5" opening?

Sorry forgot you have a 4 door. Their bigger brothers are similarly priced I think.

kpfalconi 03-13-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3493698)
Is it possible just to change the rear speakers and not bother with the ones in the dash? I'm assuming all the speakers are 4ohms...

Are these the Kickers? $69.99 cdn, free shipping, out of stock though.

Kicker 11DS60 6.5" 2-way Car Speakers

I bought mine off of Amazon. Here is the link.

JEEP WRANGLER JK KICKER SPEAKER UPGRADE : Amazon.com : Automotive

st1264 03-13-2013 10:54 AM

That JK Off Road rubberized antenna looks interesting... anyone try it? My reception here is pretty bad (live 5-15 miles from about 50 FM stations), probably could only get better with this antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Road-13-in...=pd_sim_auto_1

kpfalconi 03-13-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3498089)
That JK Off Road rubberized antenna looks interesting... anyone try it? My reception here is pretty bad (live 5-15 miles from about 50 FM stations), probably could only get better with this antenna.

Off-Road (13" inch) ANTENNA - 2007 thru 2013 Jeep WRANGLER Unlimited JK : Amazon.com : Automotive

I actually have that exact antenna. I have had zero problems with reception although its important to note that I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area so the signal strength is probably higher than yours if you are out in the sticks. It definitely looks much better IMO than the stock antenna and you cant beat the price.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.