Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Need tool advise (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/need-tool-advise-224372.html)

jquinn83 03-01-2013 11:46 AM

Need tool advise
 
Now that I have a Jeep I want to start to work on it myself as much as possible. I figure one of those cordless drills would be a good tool to get so I went to Lowe's to see what they had. I don't like asking associates at those stores because you never know what you will get, so I wanted to ask in here.

There are several different types of these power drills and I was wondering what the difference and if there is one that will do everything I need.

Drill - I'm assuming this is just for drilling, nothing else.

Drill/Driver - This can be used as a drill but can also go reverse so you can use it as a power screwdriver

Impact Wrench - I couldn't tell what this did that was different from a drill driver

Hammer Drill - This vibrates like a jack hammer to let you drill through tough materials. I don't think I will need this.

I'm looking for something to help do the following things.
* Drill holes in bumpers or frame
* Fasten and unfasten frame and suspension bolts.
* Run a polish or sanding head for body work or detailing

Is there one power tool I can get that will do all that? Any help is appreciated.

mossyoakwrangler 03-01-2013 12:54 PM

A millwaukee corded power drill. Tons of power!

Hank the Tank 03-01-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler (Post 3438636)
A millwaukee corded power drill. Tons of power!

:thumb: to this. I have one that is over 25 years old. Still a beast. So much torque you've gotta be careful with it.

mossyoakwrangler 03-01-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank the Tank (Post 3438707)

:thumb: to this. I have one that is over 25 years old. Still a beast. So much torque you've gotta be careful with it.

Watch your thumbs and wrists! That's what dad always told me growing up

rketr 03-01-2013 04:03 PM

DeWalt fan here.

Also would suggest the corded vs battery powered. Some of the drillings I've had to do have not been very kind to battery packs. Corded drills aren't as portable, but don't have that problem.

Hank the Tank 03-01-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler

Watch your thumbs and wrists! That's what dad always told me growing up

True! If you hit something solid, it can be a bear. Still, with some practice it's a great addition to your toolkit and will last you a long time. And, as the next poster acknowledged, they're obviously less portable, but a superior capability if you're going to be in the garage.

Shrimp 03-01-2013 08:19 PM

I have a corded DeWalt and LOVE it and recommend a corded drill in every toolbox. Cordless i really like makitas, we had one for may years in our shop with the same battery and it held up great and they have a drill/impact combo kit too. Hitachi gives you free replacement batteries.

JD95YJ 03-02-2013 10:30 AM

I too have a very old corded Millwaukee that my dad passed down to me and it definitely has a ton of power, but you have to drag around an extension cord and use a chuck to put the bits in. I also own an 18v DeWalt cordless from my stereo install days. Also has a ton of power and you just use your hands to change bits in it. I've broken many screws, phillips bits, & drill bits in my day with this bad boy. I've got the tall one, not the normal drill shape. It helps a LOT working on cars, especially under dashes or under the hood. When I first bought it, I bought the heavy duty 18v spare battery (I think it was about $100) and it's lasted me about 8 years now. The other battery won't charge anymore but the fact they lasted this long amazed me. Both highly recommended

mikemounlio 05-24-2013 05:13 PM

Get them all. Then get more and more. My garage is a never ending addition to the house.

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 05:18 PM

Get a corded drill and an air compressor/impact. Good set of impact sockets. That last bit will set you back a lot more than the drill though.

StanF 05-25-2013 06:47 AM

This Dewalt impact driver DC820KA is my favorite new tool:

DEWALT DC820KA 1/2" (13mm) 18V Cordless XRP Impact Wrench Kit - Amazon.com

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/dewalt/images/dc820ka.jpg

Cordless, so you can take it with you on the trail. Just change batteries when needed. It got great reviews - research before buying anything. The DC820KA did very well in a magazine shootout.

I'm a Dewalt fan, so the extra 18V batteries were nice for use with my drill.

I also have a full set of corded drills - make sure that your first corded drill has a 1/2" chuck. The hammer drill function can be turned off, so my large drill is a hammer drill for use around the house as well.

boomer_95 05-25-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquinn83 (Post 3438359)
Now that I have a Jeep I want to start to work on it myself as much as possible. I figure one of those cordless drills would be a good tool to get so I went to Lowe's to see what they had. I don't like asking associates at those stores because you never know what you will get, so I wanted to ask in here.

There are several different types of these power drills and I was wondering what the difference and if there is one that will do everything I need.

Drill - I'm assuming this is just for drilling, nothing else.

Drill/Driver - This can be used as a drill but can also go reverse so you can use it as a power screwdriver

Impact Wrench - I couldn't tell what this did that was different from a drill driver

Hammer Drill - This vibrates like a jack hammer to let you drill through tough materials. I don't think I will need this.

I'm looking for something to help do the following things.
* Drill holes in bumpers or frame
* Fasten and unfasten frame and suspension bolts.
* Run a polish or sanding head for body work or detailing

Is there one power tool I can get that will do all that? Any help is appreciated.

most cordless drills will have a drill, driver, and hammer option on them. but an impact wrench is a separate tool all together. its is a VERY high torque (twisting power) "hammer drill" used to remove/install large rusty bolts (lug nuts on tires, frame bolts/nuts, engine bolts). also they have a little more speed, generally, then drills, or air ratchets, so they are also used to quickly remove alot of smaller bolts.

a cordless drill/driver and a corded impact (faster/more power then cordless (air is the best but requires a large compressor)) are your best friends :thumb:

AegisCPO 06-16-2013 10:35 PM

Anyone have knowledge of using the 12V Milwaukee Impact driver, it is rated at 850 Ft Lbs, think that would be enough for things like tire rotations and such? Considering getting the 12V Milwaukee Drill/Driver/Hammer and 12V Impact driver, wondering if anyone used them or had some good first hand knowledge? Specifically, do I need a bigger impact driver or will 850 Ft Lbs be enough? Thanks.

Kenobi 06-16-2013 11:14 PM

If it's not a Makita, I won't spend money on it.

boomer_95 06-17-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3867862)
Anyone have knowledge of using the 12V Milwaukee Impact driver, it is rated at 850 Ft Lbs, think that would be enough for things like tire rotations and such? Considering getting the 12V Milwaukee Drill/Driver/Hammer and 12V Impact driver, wondering if anyone used them or had some good first hand knowledge? Specifically, do I need a bigger impact driver or will 850 Ft Lbs be enough? Thanks.

just going off of their rating yes it more then enough. I used to be a tire/lube technician for a few years in an auto shop, and everyone had the same impact gun. it was an Ingrasol Rand air impact gun rated for 780'lbs in reverse (1/2" drive), if that gun didn't take the bolt/nut off, it wasn't coming off. snap-on guns arnt rated for much more (800'lbs +/-). and any 1/2" drive impact wont be over 850'lbs. if you need more then that, your working on dump trucks and high hoes and need a 3/4" or 1" drive gun

that rating sounds WAY to much for only a 12V gun tho. and if it is correct its probably only that much for a few seconds then the battery will be half dead (just my opinion anyway)

StanF 06-17-2013 06:22 AM

That Milwaukee is 850 in-lbs (not ft-lbs!)
Milwaukee 2450-22 12-volt Impact Driver Kit - Amazon.com

I couldn't find a good review, but here's an interesting thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=83043

Also, my Dewalt has been awesome for all the Jeep work that I've done. Everyone who has tried it has loved it.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/ne...ml#post3791374

AegisCPO 06-17-2013 08:53 AM

Oops. Sometimes our thoughts get ahead of our typing, meant inch pounds. Thanks for the correction and replies.

Toolin Around 06-17-2013 05:10 PM

There is a distinct difference between a drill and a drill/driver. When installing fasteners you need a tool that has a brake. Drill/DRIVERS have a brake so when you get the fastener as tight as you need it it will stop. Less broken fasteners. You do not need a hammer drill, they are for drilling through concrete. Impact tools put a rotational impact on the fastener to help loosen or tighten them. A hammer drill puts a linear impact on the drill bit to cut through concrete, cement and brick.
If you are looking for an impact gun for tires you need a 1/2" drive for sockets and at least 150ftlbs. there are some great cordless impacts and drill/drivers out there with interchangeable batteries. I would highly recommend Lithium Ion batteries. They have more power, longer life and no memory. They can be put on the charger at any point to top it off so you can make sure you have enough charge to last for your project.
Let me know if you have any questions as I have been in the tool business for the past 10 years, and have been using them for 30 years!

boomer_95 06-17-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3868801)
Oops. Sometimes our thoughts get ahead of our typing, meant inch pounds. Thanks for the correction and replies.

well then.. that's a HUGE difference :rofl: considering a lug nut is torqued to about 100-120 FOOT pounds, and you need more torque to remove the nuts (10% +/- more), 850 INCH pounds (70 FOOT pounds) won't do you any good for that. find something along the lines of 200+ FOOT pounds. that should do most jobs you can think of.

BTW the rustier the fastener the more torque needed to remove. so go with the most torque output your budget can afford. (again my impact is rated for 780 FOOT pounds! and even then there are bolts it simply cant remove!)

Scooby88 06-19-2013 09:47 PM

Sounds like your just starting your tool box. Check out resale and pawn shops... you can save a lot of $$ on all kind of tools!

StanF 06-20-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby88 (Post 3879627)
Sounds like your just starting your tool box. Check out resale and pawn shops... you can save a lot of $$ on all kind of tools!

This is probably location dependent...at pawn shops in my area, I've mostly seen overpriced junk or worn out tools. :hide:

If you buy at a pawn shop (or anywhere for that matter), definitely educate yourself on the new prices of what you're buying. And don't be afraid to make an offer at a pawn shop - definitely try negotiating them down.

TJZ 07-04-2013 02:09 PM

Need some advice on a Good Torque Wrench for my Jeep tool Box. What Drive and how big a Torque Ft. /Lb range should I consider. I've seen prices from 30 to 150 bucks on these puppies. Want quality but not overboard. Thanks

TJZ 07-05-2013 12:17 AM

Wow ! Thought someone would be all over a Tool recommendation ! New to jeeps but can do everything myself. Just never owned a torque wrench. Always borrowed one.

Serg5000 07-05-2013 12:22 AM

I have the Milwaukee 18volt 450ft lbs torque in 1/2 drive. This bastard is strong as hell. Used it to install my lift. Kick some ass. Not cheap. But strong.

2JeepsThatRun 07-05-2013 12:36 AM

I have a corded Milwaukee, a cordless dewalt, a ryobi cordless, and a big arse corded hammer drill for the big stuff and the dewalt is my goto drill I think it's a 12v one but its done all the drilling on my jeep other thanks some holes in the bumpers where the batteries were all dead so I used the Milwaukee which will bust your hand if your not carful. (I also think the Milwaukee is a hammer drill to I just never needed it)

boomer_95 07-05-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJZ (Post 3927642)
Need some advice on a Good Torque Wrench for my Jeep tool Box. What Drive and how big a Torque Ft. /Lb range should I consider. I've seen prices from 30 to 150 bucks on these puppies. Want quality but not overboard. Thanks

now do you mean a torque wrench, as in a ratchet that reads what torque you are putting on a fastener? or a impact wrench that is air/battery powered? I don't really see the need for a torque wrench out on a trail, as most fasteners can be tightened with a good ratchet/wrench and stay in place until you get home to torque it. but I can see the need for a battery powered impact wrench to say, take off your tires or axles. if that's the case you would want a 1/2" drive impact wrench that has at least 200 'lbs of torque (300+ would be best)

if you do want a torque wrench then you probably want it for your tires and axles and other large fasteners. so get a 1/2" drive click type torque wrench that has a range of about 20-200 +/- 'lbs. also look at the accuracy. it should give a rating of accuracy like +/-4%. don't go any higher then 4% (the cheaper wrenches) the better accuracy the better quality tool and higher price (I have a snap-on wrench with 1% accuracy. but I paid out my ass for it)

jsuggs 07-22-2013 10:46 PM

torque wrench: get a Precision instruments 1/2in drive flex head 150ft lbs and its 3/8in little brother. Well worth the money around $100-150 each I think the last time I paid attention to the price

Drill/driver and impact: If you are just starting out Ryobi or something like that. In my career I could not tell you the amount of new mechanics that I have seen talked into buying the big Snap On tool box before they owned a single tool. For tire rotations buy a 110v electric impact, or a good 4 way.

I could not imagine not having tools growing up. That is the benefit of being a 3rd generation mechanic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.