Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Tools needed for lift install? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tools-needed-for-lift-install-22455.html)

ryanralston07 10-21-2008 10:14 PM

Tools needed for lift install?

What tools will I need to install a Skyjacker Rock Ready LA 4" kit? Where can I get the tools from...preferably rent? Also a SYE...

whiteyj 10-21-2008 10:40 PM

So why would you rent? Aren't you ever going to break down on a trail? Most of the basics you are going to need unless you're running a mall princess. I good basic set of hand tool is going to take you quite a ways.

ccain 10-21-2008 10:44 PM

A six pack of beer and a torch set should do just nicely! :D

Triple88a 10-21-2008 10:52 PM

Autozone will lend you a spring compressor (Do not get a coil compressor, make sure its a spring compressor) and a quality torque wrench. You will also need a welder and cutter of some sort (no experience there). Dont forget few bottles of Brake fluid since i think the kit comes with new brake lines. Also dont forget a grease gun for fittings. Then a tool set (both wrenches and sockets) is also a must. Thats all i can think of. If i'm missing something please add.

I dont know what you will need for the sye install though.

richp 10-21-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 274269)
Autozone will lend you a spring compressor (Do not get a coil compressor, make sure its a spring compressor) and a quality torque wrench. You will also need a welder and cutter of some sort (no experience there). Dont forget few bottles of Brake fluid since i think the kit comes with new brake lines. Also dont forget a grease gun for fittings. Then a tool set (both wrenches and sockets) is also a must. Thats all i can think of. If i'm missing something please add.

I dont know what you will need for the sye install though.

Plus a good floor jack, 4 jack stands, trouble light, breaker bar, couple of friends,

Triple88a 10-21-2008 10:57 PM

oh.. yes, at least 2 floor jacks!!!

I used autozones torque wrench as a breaker bar.. it worked well :) that thing was like 3 feet long so it worked out well.

Friends are a must with a project like that. I installed my lift solo however it was tough, i wouldnt imagine installing an LA lift by my self.

ryanralston07 10-21-2008 11:02 PM

I'm wanting to do the install myself and I'm talking my dad into doing it with me as our first project. We are both good as doing stuff like this, just haven't been able to have time to do a project like this lol if that made since haha we are mechanically inclined. I'd want to install all this ourselves and then buy the tools later down the road...

Warpman89 10-21-2008 11:37 PM

either way, you will still need a good selection of tools for the job

and a nice shop with lots of space is always nice...

ryanralston07 10-21-2008 11:41 PM

Hmm I'm thinking about just letting a shop do it too...what should the estimated cost of that be to install the lift, sye, cv d/s, and high clearance skid?

AzTJ 10-22-2008 02:46 AM

Average ~$90/hr for labor... and ~6hrs for a decent shop to do it.

Shops around Phoenix charge about $250 just for an SYE install.

foxinthemudd 10-22-2008 04:07 AM

just had my FT 4" installed at a shop. charged me 400 even. around here average charge price is about 75/hr. I'm gonna be ordering a SYE and DS and doing that myself.

ryanralston07 10-22-2008 07:43 AM

so roughly $600-700 in labor? Also...if I run the high clearance skid with the kit will I need a motor mount lift or anything?

jtalar 10-22-2008 08:38 AM

If your new kit comes with a drop pitman arm, you will need a pitman arm puller and a set of pickle forks, plus a BIG hammer.