Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soft Top questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-questions-224760.html)

rfletch1 03-02-2013 10:30 PM

Soft Top questions

Hey, Im sure there are a bunch of posts regarding the softops but I just had a few questions regarding it. Firstly, how durable is the soft top. I live in CT and we get quite a bit of snow. Is it a bad idea to let a few inches of snow accumulate on it? Also what should I use to clean the rear plastic windows? And my last question is how should I go about washing the outside of the jeep?

Thanks,
PS I bought my first jeep a few weeks ago. Bought a 13 sport manual trans. Traded in a honda civic

RKracing 03-02-2013 10:42 PM

Congratulations on your new Jeep! Best top who makes your top does sell a 3 bottle soft top kit to maintain it. You can order it on line at about a 100 places. Try Northridge 4x4.

P.S.
Now you want to go Balls To Da Wall, 4" Evo long arm lift kit, 37" tires, bumpers, tire carrier, gears, and $lots$ of other really cool stuff. Have Fun and congratulations again! :punk:

Afmcronnie 03-03-2013 05:35 AM

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps3634a214.jpg

A few inches of snow wont hurt it. The back window scratches easily. I was careful to only spray it off, at first. After it got scratched up anyway, Im not so careful anymore.
As far as washing, the preferred method is to have a scantily clad college cheerleader do it at one of those roadside fundraisers.

kbwwolf 03-03-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfletch1 (Post 3446366)
Hey, Im sure there are a bunch of posts regarding the softops but I just had a few questions regarding it. Firstly, how durable is the soft top. I live in CT and we get quite a bit of snow. Is it a bad idea to let a few inches of snow accumulate on it? Also what should I use to clean the rear plastic windows? And my last question is how should I go about washing the outside of the jeep?

Thanks,
PS I bought my first jeep a few weeks ago. Bought a 13 sport manual trans. Traded in a honda civic

Can't help you with the snow buildup part, even though I'm in WI; I park mine in a garage most nights. Probably not a good idea to let too much snow build up on it, though, simply for the sake of weight, and possible leakage.

As for the rear windows, in winter I hose em off at the coin-op carwash every so often, mainly to get the salt off (and to clean off the undercarriage, as well). In the spring I clean em well with some stuff called Novus plastic polish: NOVUS Plastic Polish

I clean the soft top fabric with Aerospace 303, which both cleans and protects it from UV damage. Then I take the whole thing off for the summer...

Amazon.com: 303 aerospace protectant

I also use the 303 for anything plastic; bumpers, trim, interior. Great stuff.

BLK2012 03-03-2013 06:52 AM

I have had 4 - 5 inches of heavy snow on it without issue, and that was before the bow was included with the tops. I don't really worry about it....

I use the Bestop window cleaner, it works great...

NE Jeeper 03-03-2013 07:59 AM

I live in Groton, CT and during the storm this year I saw a few Wranglers with bent/broken soft top frames from the 24+ inches or so of snow in my apartment complex. Obviously that much snow is rare, but you should at least have a plan in place to deal with that kind of accumulation.

I got my Jeep with a hard top and bought the Bestop Supertop NX for the summer.

Congrats on the new Jeep! :thumb:

jkjeeper06 03-03-2013 09:06 AM

I'd say 6" is a max. Maybe a little less if its wet snow. It's not hard to just knock some off with a push broom. I've seen ppl put a sheet of plywood on top before too. I didn't like the looks of that. Especially if its windy

rfletch1 03-03-2013 09:25 PM

thanks alot for all the help!

Morris4x4Center 03-04-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfletch1 (Post 3446366)

Thanks,

Bestop is your best bet. There are all types of tops from basic replacements, Sailcloth material soft tops kits , and now Twill material soft tops kits. What is your budget ? We can figure out the right soft top for you. :punk: Jeep Soft Tops by Bestop, Pavement Ends, Rugged Ridge & Mopar We usually have the best deals around the internet and free shipping as well.

We also have a Bestop $500 Shopping Spree Giveaway on our Facebook So you can try and win a soft top.