Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK soft top rear window replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-soft-top-rear-window-replacement-224898.html)

katiekat 03-03-2013 03:37 PM

JK soft top rear window replacement

Back when the soft top was on, I unzipped it the wrong direction and it didn't come off so I just folded the soft top down over it since doing it myself becomes frustrating and sweaty. Doing this resulted in the breaking off of zippers on the rear window.

I'm trying to see if it is possible to find replacement zippers to put on it or if i need to replace the entire window even though it is not ripped or broken. The jeep is a 2010 Rubicon with a JK soft top that belongs to my boyfriend who is currently overseas. I would like to use the soft top when it warms up and he will not be back until fall and he knows more about parts and accessories and all that stuff but I would like to have it fixed before next winter/when he returns since I'm the one who busted it in the first place but I can't afford hundreds of dollars to replace a window that isnt damaged itsself.

Has anyone had this issue before or knows of something I could do?

daggo66 03-03-2013 04:08 PM

Check out a place that does auto and boat upholstery. You can buy replacement windows, but they come in a set. You can also try CL and the for sale sections of the various Jeep forums, including this one.

katiekat 03-03-2013 04:13 PM

I looked on craigslist but I couldnt find anything except the entire soft top itself and I've already got that. Would you mind linking me to the sale section of the forums you were telling me about? I have no idea where to look and you most likely already know where it's located on the site.

GunToter 03-03-2013 04:55 PM

Is the zipper broken on the window itself or on the actual top...or both?

I broke the zipper on my top where the rear window zips into. I called a couple apholstry shops and found one that does work on boats, like daggo said. They said to replace the zipper would be about $150. He also mentioned that the condition of the top would make a difference. If the lip that the zipper is sewn into is old, worn or rotted he would have to reenfoce it so the zipper wouldnt rip out, and naturaly that would cost more.

Just for a heads up on a price range to expect

katiekat 03-03-2013 05:09 PM

I know there were 2 zippers on it but one broke off but he threw away both of them. As for the condition of the soft top components themselves, I think they are in good condition. he got the top off CL but I think it was in pretty fair condition then like something some guy bought and didn't really end up using or something like that. I tried to save the zippers but i can't get myself that far into the garbage can and I don't think theyre still in there since this was a while ago.

Morris4x4Center 03-06-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekat (Post 3449534)
I know there were 2 zippers on it but one broke off but he threw away both of them. As for the condition of the soft top components themselves, I think they are in good condition. he got the top off CL but I think it was in pretty fair condition then like something some guy bought and didn't really end up using or something like that. I tried to save the zippers but i can't get myself that far into the garbage can and I don't think theyre still in there since this was a while ago.

Upholstery shop would have something. What kind of top is it. We work super close with Bestop, so if its a Bestop soft top maybe we can see about getting you a replacement part. Got images? just to help.

TrueNorth 03-06-2013 11:37 AM

If the teeth of the zipper are not torn (the black fabric part with plasic coil)and the silver tabs you start the zipper with are still attached you can replace the zipper sliders (the sliver pull things that mesh the teeth) and fix your window.

Any upholstery, boat or awning shop should be able to do this for you while you wait for less than $40. Takes about 10 min tops.

The sliders you need are #8 coil,(not vislon) non-locking, double seperating. You'll need the top and bottom slider set. Ask if they can upgrade you to the stainless steel marine grade sliders used on boats. Tell them what it's for and they can help get you the parts you need. They only cost a couple bucks.

If you can't find a local shop to install them call or email Seattle fabrics or Tandy leather supply for a slider set and stops.
Just takes some needle nose pliers and few minutes to install.
No need to remove the top. I can find a how to video for you if you need it.

katiekat 03-06-2013 11:47 AM

I'm not exactly sure what kind of top it is because it's lying in the corner of the garage and I am going out of town so I can't go and look but I'll try to ask my boyfriend and see if he knows what kind it is. Everything on the window is in good shape like the zipper tracts. I wish he wouldn't have thrown away the good zipper but I think what happened was I ended up smashing one of them and thats how it broke off. It's only a zipper problem so what I need are the pulls. I saw an upholstery shop someplace so I'll call around town to see what I can find about it. and I think there's a marine place somewhere as well.