Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Rear Bumper Crossmember/frame bolts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/rear-bumper-crossmember-frame-bolts-22511.html)

jeeps&comics 10-23-2008 02:24 PM

Rear Bumper Crossmember/frame bolts

Hey guys,

Long time no talk! Haven't been on here in a while, been crazy busy with school work and I recently joined the AFROTC, so that has been takin A LOT of my time also, but....

quick question.

I got a new bumper with a 2" receiver, and in order for the bumper to be tow worthy, I need to bolt the bumper to the jeep with not only the 8 (4 on each side) crossmember bolts, but there are also 2 more larger bolts (1 on each side) that thread into the frame through the bottom side on the rear, right by the crossmember. Does anybody know where I could get these bolts, or what size they are because my jeep doesn't have them, and I dont trust using the reciever with just the 8 smaller bolts holding it to the jeep.

Thanks in advance guys

- Carlos

jeeps&comics 10-25-2008 11:08 AM

anyone?

jeeps&comics 10-27-2008 08:43 AM

so i guess none of you yj guys have rear bumpers with bolts in them?

jgano23 10-27-2008 09:26 AM

go with grade 8 bolts. i'll have to find the size cause i dont remember. but as for where you can get them any hardware store, fastenal, hell if i got some i'll give em to ya.

jgano23 10-27-2008 10:28 AM

the bolt size i used was a 7/16" (your gunna need to use a 5/8" wrench). there is a fastenal on Jersey Ave. in new brunswick (if you are at rutgers right now) they will have it. also dont forget the flat washer.

jgano23 10-27-2008 10:33 AM

btw, if you do go to rutgers and are around on the weekends. my husband and i go wheelin in the pine barrens a lot with his commander club. you are welcome to join us we are always looking for more people to go. plus the i wont be the only one getting busted on for not having a commander.

jeeps&comics 10-27-2008 10:45 AM

oh great, thanks so much. Sounds good, thanks again. And yeah I am up at Rutgers right now, and would love to go wheelin one of these weekends I can get away from ROTC stuff. I will PM you asking about one of these weekends. Can you PM where exactly you guys go, I've heard of the pine barrens, but never knew where it was. I would love to go

thanks again on the bolt size.

jgano23 10-27-2008 11:34 AM

the next time we have one planned i will let you know. also if you know a weekend that you are going to be off let me know and i'll try to schedule on for then. we got to wharton state forest in hammonton. its about an hour & 20 mins from rutgers. we meet at the Atsion rangers station. it is a state park so it is free, you just have to make sure that you follow the "tread lightly" philosophy. Also if you are looking for a really good "weekend", every year in the beginning of may there is a pine barrens jeep jamboree. it is awesome, there are usually about 60-70 jeeps and a bunch of different trails from ratings 1-6. Thursday night is check in and friday and saturday are the trail rides. it is a really good time and they are all really good people.

jeeps&comics 10-27-2008 09:31 PM

great, thanks!