Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   On-board air systems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/on-board-air-systems-225220.html)

CountryBoyJeep 03-04-2013 07:33 PM

On-board air systems

Who all has an on-board air system in their tj? Where did you mount everything and which set-up do you recommend? I just want to be better educated on this as it may be a future mod. Last but not least any creative uses for your on-board air system?

Pictures please! :)

callbob 03-04-2013 07:40 PM

was considering OBA and after looking at all the pro's and cons, went with 10lb co2 set up. Unbelievable how fast they will air a 35 up from 15 to 30.

Border Dave 03-04-2013 09:46 PM

I have a York a/c compressor with the ORO bracket. I use a Viair automatic switch to turn it on/off, along with a toggle switch on the dash. I also have a tank mounted under the jeep and another one I can plug into the rear quick disconnect behind the rollbar. I can run air tools and fill tires very quickly with this setup.

scot68 03-04-2013 09:53 PM

I also spent a considerable amount of time researching air systems. I bought a Viair 450P (automatic) portable compressor as a temporary solution until I could decide what I wanted to do. After using it a few times I decided it was all I needed and I like the portability, I can use it in any of my vehicles. I didn't answer your questions but a portable compressor is a good option to consider.

2JeepsThatRun 03-04-2013 10:36 PM

I got an old ARB air compressor and fitted a tire inflator set up to it and mounted it under the good in front of the brake booster on the flat thing off of the fender. I also made my own wire harness and it fills up all of my 31s from 18psi to 30-31psi a minute or two slower than a co2 set up. It also came with a locker solenoid so ill have an extra when I finally do get one.

Attachment 218053

That vice grip is crimping my front brake line since it broke on the trail and I still
had to drive it home (slowly)

Tshields 03-04-2013 11:20 PM

I have a Sansen compressor, like the York but smaller and easier to fit in. I have an air tank right behind the transfer case with air fittings front and back and it also provides air for my front and rear ARB lockers.

JFjeld 03-04-2013 11:21 PM

I re-used my stock Sanden a/c compressor since I had purged my a/c long ago due to a heater core replacement and never charged it back up. After 4 years of sitting idle (disconnected) it works great and airs up my 35s from 10-30 psi in about 1.5 minutes each. My wheeling buddies always take advantage of the free air.

Here's a link to my write-up on my old IA forum (thread 12/12/12):
JFjeld's Build

Here's a link to the fantastic write-up I followed from JeepForum:
On-Board Air Conversion of Stock TJ A/C System - Full Write-Up & Pictures - JeepForum.com

tkfx 03-05-2013 12:47 AM

I have the York compressor set up. I just finished the whole setup this past 2 days. It takes my 2 gallon tank about 30 seconds to get from 0 to 120 PSI. Havent tested filling up my tires yet.

Also I have a post about my York installation. I havent updated it with new pictures of the finished product yet. My uploading site is being funky.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/york...on-206689.html

needaglock 03-05-2013 03:41 PM

Is it possible to use any of these kits to power the stock 06 rubicon lockers using the oem switch in the cab? I'd like on board air to fill tires, tubes, pool furniture etc. but was wondering if I could just discard some weight and do this all in one.

I was originally looking at a warn dual force but that thing is just too big for a tj, and I don't want to cause my front end to sag (I avoid things that sag as a matter of principal.)

IslandTJ 03-05-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 3457032)
I also spent a considerable amount of time researching air systems. I bought a Viair 450P (automatic) portable compressor as a temporary solution until I could decide what I wanted to do. After using it a few times I decided it was all I needed and I like the portability, I can use it in any of my vehicles. I didn't answer your questions but a portable compressor is a good option to consider.

x2.

I was originally going to hard mount a Puma 12v compressor but I was dragging my feet for so long that my wife got me a portable Viair 440p. I believe it's the highest CFM compressor offered by Viair. It is fast, quiet, portable and awesome. I've discarded my original plans of a permanent mounted unit for the portable Viair, since it has worked out well for me similarly like it did for scot68 :).

Kevbz 03-05-2013 07:15 PM

heres my stock sanden. About the only thing I've changed is the hoses...they were cheap to begin with and started to dry rot...but it was a harbor freight 15'er cut to lengths and push on fittings, got some better goodyear hoses and not having issues.

I can air up faster than anyone else I wheel with, and if needed, run and impact for a tire change. Its not any cheaper to do it this way, but I was able to make it a winter project and spread the cost out.

http://youtu.be/0-xxt_lo8NE

cbush1885 03-05-2013 07:34 PM

not a tj but just got done installing this, can be put in the same location on a tj though
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...psc1739e6c.jpg

CountryBoyJeep 03-05-2013 07:41 PM

Viair seems to be a top brand. I want to go with electric but does anyone have a belt driven compressor?

IslandTJ 03-05-2013 10:20 PM

The York and Sanden are belt driven...

MPjeep 03-05-2013 10:50 PM

I had a York kit installed, it worked extremely well, even worked with the stock A/C. I had to remove it because my supercharger mounted in the same spot. I bought a Smittybilt 2781 for 24.95 off amazon ( also shared that deal with people on here, amazon mistake!) I will be installing it hard mounted with an unloader valve, check, and air tank soon. It airs up tires quick, not sure of how long it lasts yet, but so far I am impressed. Long story short though, the York system I know worked awesome.

MPjeep 03-05-2013 11:05 PM

The system I had was sold by Kilby but it used a York compressor - forgot to add that