Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Tj rear top shock bolts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/tj-rear-top-shock-bolts-225581.html)

Ta Tonka 03-06-2013 07:09 AM

Tj rear top shock bolts

Any advise re: getting the rear top shock bolts off without too much drama? Looks like they bust frequently. I'm planning on a few days of PBS blaster before hand. It seems kinda hard to spay it up in there though and I'm really just hitting the bolt from the bottom. Sandy tricks for getting lube on the bolts from the top so that it soaks down into the threads?

Using heat looks unlikely - too close to the gas tank.

idiot magnet 03-06-2013 08:56 AM

It's a hit or miss with them.
Do you have an impact?
They are a pain to remove without busting them. Mine were a pain and I broke one or 2 when I removed them when it was just a frame sitting in the driveway from a rust free southern Jeep.
Some even take them to a muffler or shock place to remove them and if they break them then it's their problem.
Good luck

Dezmond 03-06-2013 12:38 PM

a PITA to get out.. If you want to drop your gastank they are easier to get too. I broke 2 off of mine so I just cut 2 small holes in the back of the tub to get them our from the top. Bent the metal back down made some nice covers for them (incase it happens again) and raptor lined my tub. Looks nice now....

saf98tj 03-12-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta Tonka (Post 3464743)
Any advise re: getting the rear top shock bolts off without too much drama? Looks like they bust frequently. I'm planning on a few days of PBS blaster before hand. It seems kinda hard to spay it up in there though and I'm really just hitting the bolt from the bottom. Sandy tricks for getting lube on the bolts from the top so that it soaks down into the threads?

Using heat looks unlikely - too close to the gas tank.

I just did mine. PB blaster and patience. I soaked and repeated over a course of about 5 days. I have a body lift so I was able to get at the bolts and nuts from the top as well. You could loosen your body mounts and jack the tub off of the frame a bit to do the same. Mine came right out without issue. I replaced all hardware with new and used anti-size grease to prevent issues down the road.

Good luck.

GoldenSahara00 03-12-2013 08:58 AM

If you have a body lift you can spray down into them, maybe. I can't remember for sure. Take a look up there.

saf98tj 03-12-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3492544)
If you have a body lift you can spray down into them, maybe. I can't remember for sure. Take a look up there.

You can spray from above with a body lift - see above

TJGARMA03 03-12-2013 06:59 PM

Dude just take the 4 rear most body mount bolts out and support the body and lower the frame. You will have more than enough room. I had to do this because 3 of the 4 bolts snapped. Had to cut the nut off the brackets and drill holes. Used grade 8 to fasten the new rear shocks and never had a problem.

TJGARMA03 03-12-2013 07:00 PM

Invest in a couple cans of kroil too. PB is crap