Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Newbi TJ Owner - Opinions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/newbi-tj-owner-opinions-225585.html)

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:29 AM

Newbi TJ Owner - Opinions

5 Attachment(s)
So I'm 19 live in Albury, NSW Australia.

I drove an 86 skyline for 2 years. Sold it, went without a car for 5 months and then bit the bullet and bought a 2002 TJ. I got it about 4 weeks ago....and I am loving it.

SOOO I bought it for $9500 AUD. (This is roughly 9750 American dollars at the moment.) It had 94 000km which is roughly (58 400 miles for you Americans).I think its a pretty good deal considering that jeeps are typically pretty expensive in Australia

It's got a 4 1/2 inch lift on it. Old man emu suspension all round with a Rancho steering dampner (from what I can tell). It's running 35's, Mickey Thompson Bja MTZ although you can see that the front two are worn (gonna need replacing)
The spare is also a simex centipede with a broken valve (absolutely useless) so that will need replacing as well.

It's also got the ARB air lockers with a small compressor. Lightforce spotties. WARN protections side plates, rear and front bumper. Also got rockcrusher diff plates.

It also has extractors and an exhaust has had some work.

Mods that i'm going to do. A snorkel, upgrade the three tyres, possibly a winch (once i have paid my parents back haha) mount a high lift jack somwhere and also probably a shovel

Some Questions:
It sits at about 2050 revs at about 100 km/hr (62 miles/hr for the americans) in 5th. Is this the usual cause its pretty good on fuel. I was getting around 28-30 mpg on the highway. Pretty stoked on that

Also I have heard that TJ's running 35's axle strength can be an issue. From the mods is it likely this has already been done??? Or is there an easy way to find out??

Also there's a bolt missing out of the WARN tyre carrier. I have the plate but just need the bolt to fill the hole with. The bolt is really only for looks but I wanna replace it. Does anybody know the diameter of the WARN one. I have tried a few and it seems a really odd size. Like I went to the local hardware shop and tried 12mm and 16mm bolts. It seems like its a 15mm dimeter bolt or something...really weird

It has a very slow leak out of the rear diff. and an axel seal needs replacing. And the control arm bushings need replacing. Otherwise its pretty good.

So what is the consensus? Good deal? Sweet Rig?

Also snow chains? I need big ones. No highway driving for me with them it's just the last part of the trip up to the snow fields is where i'm legally required to have them.

If you notice any other mods that have been done that I haven't managed to see tell me. Or any other mods I should look into I am happy to hear

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:30 AM

More Photos

5 Attachment(s)
More Photos

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:36 AM

Photos with a different name

5 Attachment(s)
Photos with a different name so I can actually post them

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:38 AM

Another set of photos

5 Attachment(s)
Another set of photos

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:40 AM

Phooootos

5 Attachment(s)
Phooootos

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:41 AM

Last Photos

3 Attachment(s)
Last Photos

Trailsnail 03-06-2013 06:41 AM

That's on hell of a deal. I paid $10,000 for my 2001 with 172,000 miles and a similar set up. Good on ya. If your rear axle is a D35 without any upgrades, the shafts and/or gears will eventually break. Be prepared for an upgrade to the D35 or a swap to the 44.
Besides that, nice rig.

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 06:42 AM

Also the rear lights have been recessed in (pretty cool I reckon) got a head unit and speaker at passenger foot place.

Kilroy 03-06-2013 06:50 AM

Very nice. And it looks like most of the expensive improvements are already done. Just some maintenance items and you are ready for winter!

What are the rules for chains where you live? Is the road to the snow fields a mountain road? Paved? etc. If chains are not required by law, you will only need them on ice, or in an extremely difficult case. And if you plan to go where you can get stuck in the winter, try to go with another off roader. Finally, a winch may be helpful!

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 07:11 AM

I have to carry snow chains from from the base of the mountain legally. Like usually I won't have to fit them because we don't get the epic snow of places in America but on that off chance that I do I would carry them anyway. It is a sealed road (I think that is the same as paved???)

Herviss 03-06-2013 07:26 AM

Very nice, looks like you may have gotten yourself a great deal!! Good Luck with it.

AlexS 03-06-2013 07:36 AM

I think you mean kpg not mpg in your original post?

idiot magnet 03-06-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailsnail (Post 3464831)
That's on hell of a deal. I paid $10,000 for my 2001 with 172,000 miles and a similar set up. Good on ya. If your rear axle is a D35 without any upgrades, the shafts and/or gears will eventually break. Be prepared for an upgrade to the D35 or a swap to the 44.
Besides that, nice rig.

The rear axle is a Dana 44 if you look at one of the pics he has up with the rockcrusher diff cover. The Dana 35 is more of an oval.

You got a ton of great upgrades with your Jeep. The ARB lockers and hopefully better gears are several thousand dollars in upgrades alone. :thumb:
The previous owner spent some money on that Jeep and you get to enjoy them now.
I'd buy 4 new tires and either keep the others as spares or sell them.

Dare 03-06-2013 07:46 AM

looks like a good deal...enjoy it

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 07:51 AM

Hey AlexS. Nah I meant mpg. I say mpg cause the sensor thing that sits on my steering wheel in front of the dash has the display of mpg. I have to play around with it and see if I can get it to display things in kms.

I am at uni and it has been super busy. Looking forward to spending some proper time getting it to be a sweet rig and just the way I like it

Thanks guys for any feedback. I am a newbie so any info is appreciated.

And cheers about the info about the axle being a Dana 44. That makes me happy to hear

Kilroy 03-06-2013 08:05 AM

You do need to move the steering wheel to the correct side of the vehicle....

jimmy_buckle 03-06-2013 08:07 AM

hahaha I thought I would get some response like that....I find it weird looking at all the American jeeps with it on the opposite side from me.

idiot magnet 03-06-2013 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is your Jeep the correct way....:thumb:

Motowithy 03-06-2013 10:47 AM

Yeah I was wondering where the gas pedal was because all I saw was a speaker lol.

DrewG 03-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy_buckle (Post 3465107)
hahaha I thought I would get some response like that....I find it weird looking at all the American jeeps with it on the opposite side from me.

Yeah, I forgot Austrailia was all on the other side...I was about to post "Hey, your steering box isn't where it should be..." then I noticed all the steering was backwards...then I started looking at the engine bay and whoah...some things are right, some things are opposite. Made my head hurt for a minute. Great lookin Jeep though (even if the steering wheel IS on the wrong side). What's that doo-hickey on top of the steering column? Is that some kind of tuner, or does it just show you data from the computer from the OBDII port?

AlexS 03-06-2013 03:47 PM

please teach me how to get 28-30 MPG!!!! I get half that!

Kilroy 03-06-2013 04:16 PM

Better Gas? Maybe the wrong speedometer gear?

jimmy_buckle 03-07-2013 01:16 AM

Hey Drew G. Yeah its a computer thing that has sensors around the car and tells me alot more info than the standard dashboard can. It's pretty good actually.

And AlexS I have no idea. That is highway driving and I don't smash along the highway. Just keep a steady speed and it seems to get around that figure.

jimmy_buckle 03-07-2013 06:49 AM

Also would it be wise to change the front axle to a Dana 44???

STUDEBAKER V8 DANA 44 COMPLETE DIFF (VGC) | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Pyrenees Area - Avoca

Would something like that work? or not?

Kilroy 03-07-2013 07:44 AM

If your front axle is not already a D44, it is probably a built up D30 since that is recommended with the 35's and a locker. That should be good to go, except some have failed when used aggressively in reverse. And that is just what I am told, as I have 31's with an E-Locker and have not broken mine.

aaronarmenta 03-07-2013 08:10 AM

Great looking jeep, but I do agree, I would bet that you fuel economy is supposed to be kmpg (?) . Your electronic device may be made to be used on an american jeep, and so it is possible it just takes a constant numerical value from the speedometer and considers it to be mpgs. My .02.

But yeah awesome jeep, you're way ahead on the mods bug:thumb:

Rayko 03-07-2013 12:00 PM

How does your weights and measure system work down there? In the US its 4 quarts to a gallon. In Canada I believe it's 5 Qts to the gallon(Imperial Gallon or something like that). That may be a reason for your great gas mileage.
Anyhoo, G'day mate. (always wanted to say that)

TJMadness 03-07-2013 12:11 PM

One hell of a deal man, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the ride.

Sick jeep as well

Rayko 03-07-2013 02:01 PM

1 US gallon = about 3.8L while an Australian (or imperial gallon) gallon = 4.55 L. Litres

Googled it, thats why your MPG is higher.

kyle32 03-07-2013 05:37 PM

you got a outstanding deal.. get at lest 15 for it in the states.. but that with the wheel in right spot :-P