Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Adjustable Control Arms (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/adjustable-control-arms-226090.html)

SEAICE 03-08-2013 12:16 AM

Adjustable Control Arms

I have a 3" Teraflex lift and I have no vibrations or DW... but my steering is too light compared to stock . I'm wanting to install adjustable front control arms to dial-in some caster and make my steering effort greater. Does it matter if I install upper versus lower control arms? The uppers seem to be a little cheaper, and I'd rather have threaded parts up & out of the way.

Thanks

UnlimitedLJ04 03-08-2013 07:50 AM

you'll start by extending the lowers. you can also install uppers, but you likely will not adjust the uppers away from stock length.

PStov98TJ 03-08-2013 09:58 AM

Unlimited, I've been kicking around the idea of adj. CA's as well. So I was wondering, exactly how would you adjust the control arms? If I'm not mistaken you'd need to lengthen them right? And by how much? Thanks! Should help the OP too.

Imped 03-08-2013 10:15 AM

Just visualize it.....lengthening the lowers will rotate the housing around the upper mount, moving the pinion down, lower ball joint forward and upper ball joint rearward....ie, increasing caster angle. By how much should you lengthen the arms? By the amount that puts your caster where you want it. The final length is a byproduct of caster.

PStov98TJ 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3476889)
Just visualize it.....lengthening the lowers will rotate the housing around the upper mount, moving the pinion down, lower ball joint forward and upper ball joint rearward....ie, increasing caster angle. By how much should you lengthen the arms? By the amount that puts your caster where you want it. The final length is a byproduct of caster.

Good point! Thanks Imped. Never really thought of it that way. I understand most everything of suspension geometry except for CA's, which unfortunately are pretty important. But for some reason they confused me a little. Much better understanding now. Thanks! :thumb: :dance:

budke 03-08-2013 10:20 AM

Can't adjust the pinion angle too much though or you'll be burning through u-joints like theres no tomorrow.

lynn 03-08-2013 10:21 AM

With my 3" lift, Currie LCAs set to 16" restored enough of my caster and also eliminated the annoying 47-53 mph shimmy.

YMMV

PStov98TJ 03-08-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budke (Post 3476913)
Can't adjust the pinion angle too much though or you'll be burning through u-joints like theres no tomorrow.

Of course. I do understand the u-joints and the angles needed for driveshafts to operate properly; I was just confused about how to/which ones to adjust to get the desired result.

budke 03-08-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3476924)
Of course. I do understand the u-joints and the angles needed for driveshafts to operate properly; I was just confused about how to/which ones to adjust to get the desired result.

Most people go with adjustable uppers when they lift since you have to adjust the angle up. But really, both do the same thing, you just adjust them different way to get the same result.

Imped 03-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3476909)
I understand most everything of suspension geometry except for CA's

The mounting points for the control arms dictate the "suspension geometry" so it would behoove you to understand their functions.

PStov98TJ 03-08-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3476951)
The mounting points for the control arms dictate the "suspension geometry" so it would behoove you to understand their functions.

Well, with that said, got any more pointers to share while we're on this topic? I mean I understand that they rotate the axles and affect driveline angles as well as steering and suspension geometry. But maybe put caster and like topics in english for me?
You're one of the most knowledgable people on this forum without a doubt. I've looked at the definitions of them before but it didn't really stick. Thanks for any help.

Imped 03-08-2013 10:56 AM

Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

That's a good starter thread. Just read.

PStov98TJ 03-08-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3477049)
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

That's a good starter thread. Just read.

Awesome! Thanks man!

kjeeper10 03-08-2013 11:25 AM

Good info here :thumb:

teraflex does a full alignment on a Tj on YouTube.
3 part video. Here is part 1

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/F4ZM7mqb67Q

SEAICE 03-09-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3476291)
you'll start by extending the lowers. you can also install uppers, but you likely will not adjust the uppers away from stock length.

Thanks. That's what I plan on doing.