Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What locker is right for me? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-locker-is-right-for-me-226465.html)

GoldenEagle 03-09-2013 08:44 PM

What locker is right for me?

I thought i understood lockers, then i started reading more and more, and i feel lost now.

I drive a 2006 TJ Golden Eagle Edition. I know it has the D44 rear end, but the still the Dana 35 in front.

I was looking around at lockers, i dont really know what im looking for anymore. I dont need a rear locker do i?
Basically i was gunna give some information on my jeep, and see if i could get pointed in the right direction and why you think its the best for me

It is my daily driver, between school and working i dont get to go off roading as much as i like to anymore, but i live in Omaha Nebraska, and Brookings South dakota so we get a lot of snow. I do like to take it the mud with the guys back home too.
any information that could help when looking at them would be great.

Mulvihill64 03-09-2013 08:47 PM

You have the dana 30 In front, not the dana 35. I would recommend a selectable locker, because of the snowfall you get where you live. Check out pneumatic lockers like the arb locker, or cable actuated like the ox locker

GoldenEagle 03-09-2013 08:48 PM

dana 30 in the front?*

Jerry Bransford 03-09-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3482889)
dana 30 in the front?*

Yes.

GoldenEagle 03-09-2013 09:08 PM

Thanks, i miss typed that, but, what does the rear have?

I was reading some where, dont recall where, some one was putting one in the rear, but i didnt think that was needed

GoldenEagle 03-09-2013 09:19 PM

What is a "lunchbox Locker"

2JeepsThatRun 03-09-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3482994)
What is a "lunchbox Locker"

A 'locker' that replaces the spider gears instead of the carrier. I put locker in quotes because they are an okay way to gain traction but IMO its more of a temporary solution until you can afford a real full carrier locker. They also will not give you the option to be selectable so it is not the greatest solution for someone to put in the front in a snowy area or in the rear for driving on the road because it can lock in turns if you add power through the turn and will make a ratcheting noise when you turn and it is not locked.

Over all I don't think they are a terrible option but for you it doesn't seem like the right choice.

Attachment 220481

You can see it in this picture where the spider gears would be

GoldenEagle 03-09-2013 10:02 PM

Thanks, thats the information i needed, so whats the deal with the rear end, would i need to do anything?

jgorm 03-09-2013 11:58 PM

A lunchbox in the rear will suck bad in the snow. Go with a selectable locker in the rear. I think a rear locker is far more useful than a front locker. I know I use the rear locker at least 50% more than the rear and front. You cant really turn when the front is locked. If you have one locker, then you at least have 3wd instead of 0wd with 2 open diffs and no traction on 2 tires.

GoldenEagle 03-10-2013 12:09 AM

This is why i like this jeep community, make everything easier and set you on the right track. Thanks guys.

So OX, and ARB make the selectible kind, and aussie is a lunch box style?

doclouie 03-10-2013 12:10 AM

In snow and ice do not put anything but a selectable locker up front, like an ARB. A rear locker will take some getting use to driving in the snow, but can be done. If you are going to lock the front end with an ARB I would lock the back end with an ARB also. Most people lock the rear axle first and then if need the front afterwards. Anything but selectable lockers up front will put you in a ditch as you cannot steer worth a darn when it is engaged on ice and snow.

doclouie 03-10-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3483586)
This is why i like this jeep community, make everything easier and set you on the right track. Thanks guys.

So OX, and ARB make the selectible kind, and aussie is a lunch box style?

OX runs a cable to lock it and ARB runs a high pressure pump and aussie is a lunchbox or an automatic locker. Do some research as many people do not like the cable shifting on the OX. I love my ARBs because at the end of the day I can air up my tires without finding a gas station.

GoldenEagle 03-10-2013 12:28 AM

So, for arguments sake, i put the arb, or ox lockers in front and rear. When i engage regular 4-wheel drive on the stock selector, it will drive like normal four wheel drive, correct? or incorrect?

doclouie 03-10-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3483620)
So, for arguments sake, i put the arb, or ox lockers in front and rear. When i engage regular 4-wheel drive on the stock selector, it will drive like normal four wheel drive, correct? or incorrect?

Yep. They will only lock once you flick the switch for the ARB and move the handle for the OX. Other than that it will be just normal open differential driving.

2JeepsThatRun 03-10-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 3483593)

OX runs a cable to lock it and ARB runs a high pressure pump and aussie is a lunchbox or an automatic locker. Do some research as many people do not like the cable shifting on the OX. I love my ARBs because at the end of the day I can air up my tires without finding a gas station.

Ox now makes different kinds of engagement options they have air, cable, and electric. They just came out with it I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3483620)

Correct until you hit the switch for the ox or ARB then one or both of your axles will lock depending on your set up. Also for the ARB you'll have to have an air compressor so you could also get on board air with that kind of set up.

And since you have a Dana 44 check if you have an LSD. An easy way to do this on a Tj is to open the glove box and look for a metallic stick it will say something about a locking style diff and that you need to use and additive or something along those lines. Mine is too worn to read.

Attachment 220513

2JeepsThatRun 03-10-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 3483639)

Yep. They will only lock once you flick the switch for the ARB and move the handle for the OX. Other than that it will be just normal open differential driving.

Damn beat me to it!

GoldenEagle 03-10-2013 12:47 AM

i just wanted to make sure it would drive like a stock four wheel drive jeep still, i dont know why i think thats important to me, but it is
Thanks for all the help.

I am pretty sure i have the LSD, what till that change?

2JeepsThatRun 03-10-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3483667)
i just wanted to make sure it would drive like a stock four wheel drive jeep still, i dont know why i think thats important to me, but it is
Thanks for all the help.

I am pretty sure i have the LSD, what till that change?

You can't put a lunchbox in one and IMO that would make me more likely to put an ARB in the front then you have two traction aids working for you instead of one. Wanting your jeep to drive stock is actually pretty important to a DD jeep and a lot of people want that kind of jeep.

GoldenEagle 03-10-2013 01:18 AM

So putting one in the rear cant be done with an LSD or not worth it?

2JeepsThatRun 03-10-2013 01:47 AM

A lunchbox is not possible in an LSD a full carrier selectable is but IMO is not worth it until the front is locked. Then once you start getting to trails you can't make due to the rear traction then put a selectable in the back. Again that is just what I would do it is all up to you on what you feel will be best. We just give our opinions and share some knowledge to help make the decision easier.

GoldenEagle 03-10-2013 03:27 AM

thats kind of a bummer, i was kinda of hoping for equal power to the wheels all the way around. something about it be symmetrical front/rear/ left and right. Kinda seems like a front wheel drive if you just lock the front haha

Gunner 03-10-2013 03:58 AM

The factory rubicon has a gear type limited slip in the rear that is on all the time. When you put it in 4 wd you have 3 tires driving. If a rear tire hangs in the air and looses traction then you must shift to 4 low. Now you have electric lockers available front and rear at the flip of a switch. Works pretty great. You can do a simple wiring change which lets you have lockers in 4 high. I can do some pretty good trails in 2 wd with the LSD doing it's job. No one has mentioned the electric lockers. Auburn and Detroit make ones. Some like them some don't. I would say that when/if my stockers go out I will replace then with ARB's just because they are strong and simple.

Jerry Bransford 03-10-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3483826)
The factory rubicon has a gear type limited slip in the rear that is on all the time. When you put it in 4 wd you have 3 tires driving.

That's an often misunderstood subject. Even when both axles are open without a locker or LSD, all four wheels are being driven and each tire on an axle always receives an even 50:50 split of the power going to that axle.

Here's an article I wrote on that subject years ago.

4x4 & Torque answers

Golden Eagle, here's another article you may find useful on lockers.

What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4!

GoldenEagle 03-11-2013 04:16 AM

Those are both very useful reads, thanks. i was looking for a way to get all four wheels turning at the same time when off roading, on less then perfect traction.

A front locker such as an ARB or OX would take care of the front, but since i have an LSD in the rear, its harder to get one for the rear? or am i mistaken again?

this being said, it doesn't seem like automatic lockers are for me because i drive in the snow a lot.

So it brings me to the rear end. DO they make selectable lockers for D44 with LSDs?
Keeping in mind that i want it to drive in 4 wheel drive, like a stock 4 wheel drive when i have to drive in snow on the roads.

GoldenEagle 03-11-2013 04:32 AM

I guess what im asking now is...

Can i keep my D44 with the LSD, and also have a selectable locker in the rear.

From what i am reading, i feel like i would have to abandon the LSD, and have an open rear end with a selectable locker, which i dont want to do

I dont want it to change the stock setup, just give me a third, next, option up.
2wd,4wd hi and lo, locked hi and lo

98 tj sport 03-11-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 3487702)
I guess what im asking now is...

Can i keep my D44 with the LSD, and also have a selectable locker in the rear.

From what i am reading, i feel like i would have to abandon the LSD, and have an open rear end with a selectable locker, which i dont want to do

I dont want it to change the stock setup, just give me a third, next, option up.
2wd,4wd hi and lo, locked hi and lo

The only way u can retain ur lsd and have the locked option that I know of, would be to get an auburn ected locker it is a limited slip when the locker isn't engaged, and then when u flip the switch it is locked, but these haven't been out that long so idk if they havebgood reviews or not

GoldenEagle 03-11-2013 11:59 PM

I was gunna say, if they didnt make them, i know what this engineering students senior design project would be! ha ha

Welll, since ox or arbs wont let me keep my LSD i might look into this auburn company.

Has anyone put an LSD in the front axle, or is that just a waste fo money?

RepairMan 03-12-2013 12:17 AM

If/when I go locked in my jeep I will do an auburn ected in the rear and a eaton elocker in the front.

I'd rather have 12v lockers than air, I trust wires rather than airlines for long term durability. And I like that I will still have a limited slip rear and open front diff on a day to day basis untill I flip a switch.

GoldenEagle 03-12-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RepairMan (Post 3491760)
If/when I go locked in my jeep I will do an auburn ected in the rear and a eaton elocker in the front.

I'd rather have 12v lockers than air, I trust wires rather than airlines for long term durability. And I like that I will still have a limited slip rear and open front diff on a day to day basis untill I flip a switch.

I feel the exact same way you do.

Do you like your Auburn Ected? becuase im looking at them now and i cant find much information on them

RepairMan 03-12-2013 09:23 PM

That's just my future plan, I haven't done it yet. That's why I started out the statement with if/when.