Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Virginia Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/)
-   -   Flagpole Knob Trip 16 March 2013 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/flagpole-knob-trip-16-march-2013-a-226515.html)

Reaper2332 03-10-2013 08:59 AM

Flagpole Knob Trip 16 March 2013
 
Hey guys,
I missed out on the trip yesterday, so I am heading out next Saturday. Let me know if anyone is interested in coming along!

danrb 03-10-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2332 (Post 3484022)
Hey guys,
I missed out on the trip yesterday, so I am heading out next Saturday. Let me know if anyone is interested in coming along!

Depends on the when my front bumper get's here. Want to get it and the winch on as soon as I can. If it's not here by Friday then I'm a definite maybe.

QuietSpike 03-10-2013 10:45 AM

I'm in, as previously stated.

sgtkersh 03-10-2013 10:55 AM

Flagpole Knob Trip 16 March 2013
 
Well, it looks like the wife and I are in! She's said she missed yesterday and we are going to leave our 18 year old son to take care of my our daughter's lacrosse practice. Sweet!


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

d_rehmann 03-11-2013 01:46 PM

How much does it cost to do a trip to Flagpole from NoVA? I tried to calculate it this weekend but lost track of receipts and we didn't get to do the whole thing. I have quite a few bills this week but would like to definitely get back out!

sgtkersh 03-11-2013 04:07 PM

Flagpole Knob Trip 16 March 2013
 
It's about a tank of gas round trip plus food/water/etc. I normally leave with a full tank and put 1/4 in when we get to Harrisonburg, no more than 1/2 on the trail, and figure another 1/4 to get home. That's for me from Manassas.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_rehmann (Post 3488973)
How much does it cost to do a trip to Flagpole from NoVA? I tried to calculate it this weekend but lost track of receipts and we didn't get to do the whole thing. I have quite a few bills this week but would like to definitely get back out!

Like mark said, If I have enough to get to sheetz in harrisonburg, I wait til then to fill up. If you bring your own food (me for example: I'm bringing PB+J sandwiches) its not to bad. If I had to ballpark I would say maybe $100 if that.

darknes 03-11-2013 04:33 PM

Lol from VA beach I filled up when i left then about 100miles away from Harrisonburge I'm at 1/4 of a tank. then ill be at 1/4 when i arrive. filled for the trail no more half gas tank. Then same thing back

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknes (Post 3489534)
Lol from VA beach I filled up when i left then about 100miles away from Harrisonburge I'm at 1/4 of a tank. then ill be at 1/4 when i arrive. filled for the trail no more half gas tank. Then same thing back

That sucks man, if you want your more than welcome to come this Saturday. Haha

darknes 03-11-2013 06:59 PM

Oh man that a long drive, see if my buddies wants to go. guys thinking for the weeked or just the day

QuietSpike 03-11-2013 07:03 PM

I can only do the day. Got to be home for dinner with the wife and kids.

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietSpike (Post 3489976)
I can only do the day. Got to be home for dinner with the wife and kids.

What time is your dinner time? My goal is to be back by 6pm.

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknes (Post 3489960)
Oh man that a long drive, see if my buddies wants to go. guys thinking for the weeked or just the day

Most of us will be a day trip, but you and your buddies could camp out there or get a cheap hotel and make it a 2 day trip.

QuietSpike 03-11-2013 07:21 PM

No specific time. If we're in haymarket NLT 1800, I'm good.

darknes 03-11-2013 07:23 PM

Then most likely wont go just a long trip for the day. This would be the second time going if I went.

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietSpike (Post 3490047)
No specific time. If we're in haymarket NLT 1800, I'm good.

My goal is to be back by 1800, but when it comes to offroading I never guarentee anything. I don't give my wife a set time haha.

QuietSpike 03-11-2013 07:58 PM

yeah, of course that is understood! :)

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknes (Post 3490052)
Then most likely wont go just a long trip for the day. This would be the second time going if I went.

I understand that, Im sorry I didn't make it out last week. Hopefully we can get together sometime this summer.

darknes 03-11-2013 08:01 PM

For sure had a great time and good times to come

ralphwiens 03-11-2013 08:48 PM

What type of roads does flagpole have. I'm a newbie, and would love to start off roading. I would be coming down from Roanoke.

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphwiens (Post 3490477)
What type of roads does flagpole have. I'm a newbie, and would love to start off roading. I would be coming down from Roanoke.

Right now it will be snow and ice maybe some dirt. Its pretty bumpy, not a concern though. In the late spring to late fall you can expect to see dirt, rock, and mud. What kind of Jeep do you have? I have a 2011 jku and I've completed this trail twice completely stock and even did a few things that some lifted Jeeps wouldn't try. Its a ton of fun!

d_rehmann 03-11-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphwiens (Post 3490477)
What type of roads does flagpole have. I'm a newbie, and would love to start off roading. I would be coming down from Roanoke.

I went for my first time this weekend. I won't lie, with the snow, there were two or three obstacles that had me really tense by the time I conquered it. The hairpin turn took me about 6 times because of the snow and the other time on the second trail were when I had to be winched. Oh, and the rock... haha. Other than that, I had a great time. I learned a lot about my Jeep my first time out. And one last thing... Your christmas list will be about $4,000 more after going offroad your first time :rofl: I would definitely recommend going out with Dan and Vance your first time out. They were full of knowledge and kept me informed at all times. They also don't really force you to push yourself too hard, but just enough to keep you going without breaking anything.

darknes 03-11-2013 09:19 PM

there should be dirt if people went during the week. D_red got struck a lil bit but was his first know what his Jeep can do. Looking towards next wheeling with you.

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_rehmann (Post 3490603)

I went for my first time this weekend. I won't lie, with the snow, there were two or three obstacles that had me really tense by the time I conquered it. The hairpin turn took me about 6 times because of the snow and the other time on the second trail were when I had to be winched. Oh, and the rock... haha. Other than that, I had a great time. I learned a lot about my Jeep my first time out. And one last thing... Your christmas list will be about $4,000 more after going offroad your first time :rofl: I would definitely recommend going out with Dan and Vance your first time out. They were full of knowledge and kept me informed at all times. They also don't really force you to push yourself too hard, but just enough to keep you going without breaking anything.

I will admit, I do kinda give a little bit of a knudge with stuff. I wont try to force you at all but try to give you the courage and confidence to do it. Also I wont recommend you trying anything that I haven't already did stock or wont do myself, but I do understand no and if you really don't want to do it, I will stop. Did I complete my disclaimer Dan, Vance, glen, and mark?

Reaper2332 03-11-2013 09:22 PM

[QUOTE="Reaper2332;3490650"]

I will admit, I do kinda give a little bit of a knudge with stuff. I wont try to force you at all but try to give you the courage and confidence to do it. Also I wont recommend you trying anything that I haven't already did stock or wont do myself, but I do understand no and if you really don't want to do it, I will stop. Did I complete my disclaimer Dan, Vance, glen, and mark?

sgtkersh 03-11-2013 09:33 PM

Flagpole Knob Trip 16 March 2013
 
[QUOTE=Reaper2332;3490656]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2332 (Post 3490650)

I will admit, I do kinda give a little bit of a knudge with stuff. I wont try to force you at all but try to give you the courage and confidence to do it. Also I wont recommend you trying anything that I haven't already did stock or wont do myself, but I do understand no and if you really don't want to do it, I will stop. Did I complete my disclaimer Dan, Vance, glen, and mark?

I agree with everything you said. Flagpole, barring deep snow, is a good, challenging trail for stock and slightly modified vehicles. There are good elevation changes, a mixture of terrain, water, you name it.

I also think the snow should be mostly gone with warmer temps all week. It's raining right now,which will help melt it. It's a decent amount above freezing all week this week and only a few nights were it will drop below freezing. Friday is like 53/38 and Saturday up to 55 with some rain again. I think we will see more mud then snow, but we did a lot in 12" of snow last weekend.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

d_rehmann 03-11-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2332 (Post 3490650)
I will admit, I do kinda give a little bit of a knudge with stuff. I wont try to force you at all but try to give you the courage and confidence to do it. Also I wont recommend you trying anything that I haven't already did stock or wont do myself, but I do understand no and if you really don't want to do it, I will stop. Did I complete my disclaimer Dan, Vance, glen, and mark?


I have heard some things about you. Haha. Were you at the meet and greet in Fredericksburg?

Reaper2332 03-12-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_rehmann (Post 3491369)

I have heard some things about you. Haha. Were you at the meet and greet in Fredericksburg?

Nope, if I may ask what have you heard?

d_rehmann 03-12-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper2332 (Post 3492248)
Nope, if I may ask what have you heard?

I heard you're a tad more adventurous. :cool:

Reaper2332 03-12-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_rehmann (Post 3492721)

I heard you're a tad more adventurous. :cool:

Haha thats almost completely accurate.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.