Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Sorry guys: Another lift question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/sorry-guys-another-lift-question-226533.html)

mraybrake 03-10-2013 10:08 AM

Sorry guys: Another lift question
 
:hide:Hate to do this cause I know theres a bunch of these floating around but I just can't quite seem to find the answers I'm looking for. :facepalm:

I definatly don't want to lift my '06 Wrangler any higher than 2.5". Correct me if I'm wrong but after 2.5 is when you have the increased chance of vibes, and you need to do a couple other things right? What lift would you guys recommend? Mostly a daily driver, some off roading (not as much as I'd like:nonono:). Is it even worth lifting it?

For shocks I'm leaning towards something adjustable (Rancho RS9000XL). Because of this, should I only get a Rancho lift kit or doesn't it matter?

If I do a 2.5" lift how good/bad will it look with 31's? how bout 32/33's?

Any words of the wise, suggestions, etc are greatly appriciated!!!

The_Chief 03-10-2013 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 220582

This is a 2.5" Rough Country shock/coil lift. I bought the rear track bar bracket for $50 extra to keep all angles the same as stock.

Tires are 285/75/17 (33.9") KM2's.

Excluding rims, lift kit + tires cost me $2100 total.

mraybrake 03-10-2013 08:03 PM

How did the shocks ride?

The_Chief 03-10-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mraybrake (Post 3486272)
How did the shocks ride?

Better than stock because of the progressive-rate springs used with them... Doesn't ride like a Caddy, but not like a regular Jeep, either...

mraybrake 03-10-2013 08:23 PM

Ha, if you could get a jeep to ride like a cadillac that would be amazing.... hmmm air ride suspension anyone?!?

Tsexton223 03-10-2013 09:26 PM

I put a 2" spacer lift on my 05 with 31's. I love the way it sits. Haven't had any trouble with rubbing or vibration.

mraybrake 03-11-2013 02:35 PM

Tsexton223 is that what you have done to the jeep in your profile pic? looks nice!

NonRubicon 03-11-2013 03:10 PM

You cannot use a JK for comparison for a TJ lift though. JKs can fit much larger tires without a lift (right off the showroom floor) than can a TJ.
When considering clearance gained by a lift, you have to compare apples to apples, JKs to JKs, TJs to TJs, YJs to YJs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mraybrake (Post 3486364)
Ha, if you could get a jeep to ride like a cadillac that would be amazing.... hmmm air ride suspension anyone?!?

Old Man Emu is known for producing the some of the smoothest aftermarket suspensions out there. My YJ on 2.5" Old Man Emu springs/shocks rides pretty darn close to an 1996 Cadillac Seville, and that is just leaf springs. I've never ridden on OME coils, but I would bet the ride is really plush and even smoother.

Vibes on the TJ can be addressed by using adjustable control arms to correct the pinion angle.

Tsexton223 03-11-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mraybrake (Post 3489368)
Tsexton223 is that what you have done to the jeep in your profile pic? looks nice!

It is. Thanks. I have had it just over two years now. I would like to do a little more to it but I have two little ones. I will try to get some more pictures up of it. So far, just did the 2" skyjacker BB with the hydro shocks and 31" Firestone Destination a/t's. Someone cut my top last year and I had to get a new one. Swapped out the silver side decals with black and it made a big difference. The PO put the chrome grill on. Other than that, I have just kept the oil changed in it. Oh yeah, I saw some people on here with their factory front bumper cut and liked the look so I tried it myself. Turned out great.

mraybrake 03-11-2013 08:22 PM

I think im pretty much set on the rancho rs9000xl shocks because of their adjustability. Assuming i get a lift, I guess it wouldnt hurt if the lift manufacturer and shock manufacturer didnt match up... right?

Tsexton223 03-11-2013 08:41 PM

I would assume it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone with a little more know-how on suspension will be able to jump in on that. I definitely like the idea of having something adjustable. I would like to get a little bit softer ride for daily driving.

mraybrake 03-11-2013 08:46 PM

Yea thats my main goal. Plus my mother enjoys driving the jeep so it needs to ride half decent for her lol.

josh542 03-20-2013 07:37 PM

I was actually wondering on this to. I'm looking into getting the rancho 2.5" short arm suspension lift lift but wasnt sure if i need the sye/ cv with it. Not looking to thread jack:whistling: just hoping to see help the op and myself figure it out cause i noticed he asked about angles and vibes but havent seen an answer to that. The angles on the drive shaft is what im really concerned about. I have a 1998 tj sport and i just want to make sure i get everything i need for the lift... I seem to get a different answer everytime:banghead:. Plus ive heard with the rancho it can sit higher then the advertised height which seems weird to me but just looking to complete my kit cause i know its not all there...

Rancho Suspension: Suspension 1997 - 2006 Jeep TJ / LJ Wrangler 4WD Suspension Systems, Lift Kits, Leveling Systems & Shocks
The one im looking to get:thumb:

josh542 03-20-2013 07:40 PM

im looking at the one with shocks though so i will have those

mraybrake 03-20-2013 08:46 PM

Here's hoping for answers for both of us lol. Thats the same kit I was looking at. Seems like you already know a little more to begin with haha.

josh542 03-21-2013 05:17 PM

haha yeah well ive just been researching for like the past few months scouring every piece of info out but its tough to find everything. Im just getting into mechanical stuff, kinda just exploring and learing as i go cause i dont have a big background in it. At this point im set on the kit cause i found a good deal i just dont wont to leave anything out and have to go back through the process twice

jp2611 03-21-2013 05:24 PM

FWIW.....after asking the same question a few years back on here...and talking to local people/ and shops around here. And knowing that I will ALWAYS want to DD my TJ, I went with OME, added a BL and MML last fall, and am running 33"s with front Disco's.

also purchased a '12 JK for my wife in Dec of '11 IMO the "ride" is very comparable. The JK does not go off road, but the TJ is VERY capable now...still need a TT and SYE.

Have never had a "VIB" issue, but each Jeep is different.....GL how ever you decide to go.

josh542 03-21-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3535001)
FWIW.....after asking the same question a few years back on here...and talking to local people/ and shops around here. And knowing that I will ALWAYS want to DD my TJ, I went with OME, added a BL and MML last fall, and am running 33"s with front Disco's.

also purchased a '12 JK for my wife in Dec of '11 IMO the "ride" is very comparable. The JK does not go off road, but the TJ is VERY capable now...still need a TT and SYE.

Have never had a "VIB" issue, but each Jeep is different.....GL how ever you decide to go.

alot of people say they get vibrations because of driveshaft angles after the bigger lift(ones above 3" or 3.5") but i know tcase drops help but they just lose some of the added ground clearance you just lifted the jeep to get, it does depend on the height of lift tho... do you have the 2" ome, what beside the lift did you buy in the initial install(adjus front/rear trac bar, brake lines new control arms) anything like that? Also how much did the ome kit/ quick discos cost and did you install the sye when you put just the ome kit in and could you have fit 33s with only the ome kit? sorry bout all the questions just still learning here havent put a lift on yet so trail and error right now.

josh542 03-21-2013 06:18 PM

Rancho Short Arm Suspension 2.5" Lift Kit with RS9000XL Shocks, Red RS-6506-XLK
also heres the rancho kit im looking at for anyone else intrested in it

jp2611 03-21-2013 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh542 (Post 3535199)
alot of people say they get vibrations because of driveshaft angles after the bigger lift(ones above 3" or 3.5") but i know tcase drops help but they just lose some of the added ground clearance you just lifted the jeep to get, it does depend on the height of lift tho... do you have the 2" ome, what beside the lift did you buy in the initial install(adjus front/rear trac bar, brake lines new control arms) anything like that? Also how much did the ome kit/ quick discos cost and did you install the sye when you put just the ome kit in and could you have fit 33s with only the ome kit? sorry bout all the questions just still learning here havent put a lift on yet so trail and error right now.

By combining the OME lift with the BL and MML i was able to remove the TC drop that was installed when I got the OME SL......they say the OME lift is 2.5"...I got closer to 3" but I was over 125K on the clock and I am sure my stock springs had started to sag.

The total cost of all the parts was less than 1K. I just checked and the OME kit with relocation bracket is about $800. The quick discos are ZONE, and the BL and MML are JKS.

The OME kit has the track bar relocation bracket.

While the lift allowed for the larger tires and great ground clearance, honestly I noticed the most difference with the disco's. Allowing the front axle to move really makes a big difference!!

No other parts were changed.

A lot of people say to do these yourself, and that is fine. I don't fault someone for that, and respect that they have the "Know how" and patience for doing it.

As my Jeep is my DD, and I would rather drive it than wrench on it, I usually pay a shop to do the work. I do bumpers, lights, tops, seats, easy stuff. If it says it takes more than an hour to install I start looking for a mechanic.

I do not have the SYE and TT yet.....that is on the short list (this year) and next year rear locker and re-gear.

Here are a couple of PICS

josh542 03-21-2013 08:29 PM

thats sorta the exact thing im trying to do with mine dont want to much lift just enough for 33s... ive heard great things about the ome and thats definitly up on my list of kits to look at. Was everything really under 1k, for the ome kit, the bl and mml, seems like a good price for it.
Liking the look of that rig right now haha, working on my look just moneys always the issue, ya know. I like to do my own maintenance cause i dont always trust mechanics and i save alot doing it but lift kits about as far as ill go for now, may do an engine swap in her one day, far down the road tho haha

jp2611 03-21-2013 08:36 PM

Gotta remember that I started almost 2 years ago..and things were a LITTLE cheaper...not sure but at that time think the lift kit was around $600-$700...check Dirk @ DPG off road..everyone has good things to say about him...I am fortunate between the 3 Jeep clubs in this area, and the 4wd shops I have lots of options. Most of the time I can get things cheaper here than on line...only thing I have found that to not be true is the frameless NX I just got LESS THAN $520 DELIVERED.

2004 lj 03-21-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3535851)
Gotta remember that I started almost 2 years ago..and things were a LITTLE cheaper...not sure but at that time think the lift kit was around $600-$700...check Dirk @ DPG off road..everyone has good things to say about him...I am fortunate between the 3 Jeep clubs in this area, and the 4wd shops I have lots of options. Most of the time I can get things cheaper here than on line...only thing I have found that to not be true is the frameless NX I just got LESS THAN $520 DELIVERED.

Lockers in red will be wicked.

josh542 03-21-2013 08:51 PM

yeah ive heard great things about dpg and dirk as well i actually just cheacked it and for the kit that includes all this.... 4-OME Shocks, 4-OME Coil Springs, (your choice of coil rates) JKS “Quicker” Disconnects, JKS 1.25″ Body Lift, JKS 1″ Motor Mount Spacers, JKS Adj. Track bar (front) JKS Adj. Johnny Joint Track bar NEW! (rear), 2″ Extended Bump stops (Front & rear) and JKS Adj Rear Swaybar End Links is $1369. Seems like a pretty good deal to me may just pull the trigger on it in the next few weeks!

Yeah i dont have a ton around me for 4x4 shops/ clubs and im in loisiana lol you would expect it to be bigger. Great deal on that nx... whered you find that at?

TheRicker 03-22-2013 01:57 PM

I have a suspension question! I put 35/12.5/18 on my 2012 jk unlimited. I do not have a lift and when I turn the front wheels all the way to the left or right there is slight rubbing. Besides a lift what do I need. I mostly do hwy driving and some beach stuff on long island NY. Any insight will help. Any ideas on budget boost lifts would be appreciated also. Thank you.

JeEpInG21 03-22-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRicker (Post 3538915)
I have a suspension question! I put 35/12.5/18 on my 2012 jk unlimited. I do not have a lift and when I turn the front wheels all the way to the left or right there is slight rubbing. Besides a lift what do I need. I mostly do hwy driving and some beach stuff on long island NY. Any insight will help. Any ideas on budget boost lifts would be appreciated also. Thank you.

3" lift
I got myself a 3" Zone lift kit with new steering stabilizer for 479 shipped
It's a great lift
Rides better then stock set up
The 3" kit gives u everything u need

mraybrake 03-22-2013 06:34 PM

Still not completly sold on weather or not I want to lift or not. I dont do much wheeling and its a dd. But no matter what im set on rancho shocks.

jp2611 03-22-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2004 lj (Post 3535870)
Lockers in red will be wicked.

Thanks!! Yeah that and the regear with TT....LOL I will be set!!! Till I think of something else..............:whistling:

2004 lj 03-23-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3539889)

Thanks!! Yeah that and the regear with TT....LOL I will be set!!! Till I think of something else..............:whistling:

I hear ya. Bout ready to do some wheeling. Of first week of april. Let me know if anything is going on.

Sorry for the hijack op.....

TheRicker 03-23-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeEpInG21 (Post 3538984)

3" lift
I got myself a 3" Zone lift kit with new steering stabilizer for 479 shipped
It's a great lift
Rides better then stock set up
The 3" kit gives u everything u need

Zone is the company?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.