Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   How to upgrade 430N system on a budget?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/how-to-upgrade-430n-system-on-a-budget-226542.html)

mike1158 03-10-2013 10:48 AM

How to upgrade 430N system on a budget??
 
I have a 2013 Sahara 2dr on order..i've been reading about the poor performance of the 430N system..
My wife has it in her Grand Cherokee and i like all of the features, but i guess the sound in the Wrangler is a little "sub-par".....:rofl:
(ok, bad joke)
I wanted to know if there are some relativley simple, and low budget ways to get more from the system..
I'm not a hardcore audiophile and i'm not looking to drop $1,500 bucks...
Just want to get a liitle more, if i can...
Thanks boys...

mike1158 03-11-2013 06:40 AM

anyone?

bump....

Z-TJ 03-11-2013 07:19 AM

Poly fill the speaker pods.

I did that and replaced all speakers with Focals. I am next going to replace amp, I had to. This was the first time I bought the upgraded stereo, my plans where not to replace. The simple poly fill helps a lot, The speaker upgrade helps more. Trying to decide on what amp I want.

st1264 03-11-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 3487929)
Poly fill the speaker pods.

I did that and replaced all speakers with Focals. I am next going to replace amp, I had to. This was the first time I bought the upgraded stereo, my plans where not to replace. The simple poly fill helps a lot, The speaker upgrade helps more. Trying to decide on what amp I want.

Almost any quality amp will help you... even a tiny 25 watt x 4 RMS will outperform that tin can they call an amp, in that system. I'd go with at least 50x4 though. I've always had good luck with JL Audio amps, but they are expensive.

mike1158 03-11-2013 09:57 AM

is the 2013 Alpine any better then the 2012 Infinity? i wonder why they switched....


whats a 50x4 amp run roughly?

i'd like something reliable, upgrade a soon as i get the Jeep and then just be done with it.....

st1264 03-11-2013 12:04 PM

This little Alpine appears to be a good amp for the money, $150:

Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

Seems to be some pretty good choices from $150-250.

mike1158 03-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3488812)
This little Alpine appears to be a good amp for the money, $150:

Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

Seems to be some pretty good choices from $150-250.

so that would run my 2 dash and 2 sound bar speakers? nothing neede for the Sub?

bare with me i'm NOT a stereo guy.....

st1264 03-11-2013 01:02 PM

I'm unsure how the Alpine amp is setup in that system. Maybe the 2 fronts/tweets are off the deck power and the rears of 2 channels and the 3&4 are bridged for the sub? Maybe someone will chime in. Might be a 5 channel amp...

I have the base system and everything is just running off the deck. Either way you can set it up several ways to suit your desire and pocketbook.

Z-TJ 03-11-2013 10:01 PM

Kicker 11ZX700.5 700W RMS 5-Channel ZX Series Amplifier (ZX700.5)

This is the amp I'm looking at its 5 channels

mike1158 03-12-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 3491243)
Kicker 11ZX700.5 700W RMS 5-Channel ZX Series Amplifier (ZX700.5)

This is the amp I'm looking at its 5 channels

700 WATTS !?!?!? thats some power..... your gonna push that through the stock speakers? or are you upgrading them also ?

st1264 03-12-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1158 (Post 3492534)
700 WATTS !?!?!? thats some power..... your gonna push that through the stock speakers? or are you upgrading them also ?

Read specs carefully... most people will run them at 4ohms over 2ohms (2ohm is harder on the amp). If I was going to run an amp 2ohm, I'd buy a more expensive amp as well.

ZX Series 5-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier with Class D Subwoofer Channel
Channel 1-4 RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 70 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 85 watts x 4 chan.
Subwoofer Channel RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 210 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 420 watts x 1 chan.


I'd definitely change all the speakers if I was running that amp. I put a 75x4 high current amp in my other vehicle, swapped all speakers for those who could handle the power. That amp is 490W in 4ohms.

Z-TJ 03-12-2013 10:06 PM

My front speakers
Focal 165 A1 6.5" 2-way Access 1 Component Car Speakers (165A1)
My rear
Focal 165 CA1 6.5" 2-way Access 1 Series Car Speakers (165CA1)

I replaced all but sub so far

mike1158 03-13-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 3496100)

they seem resonably priced..
was the install pretty straight forward?

Z-TJ 03-13-2013 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1158 (Post 3497183)
they seem resonably priced..
was the install pretty straight forward?

Yeah these are really great speakers. Even with the factory amp pushing them they thump harder than the factory sub. Install was time consuming, but i took my time did it right. The only modifying was for the tweeters. I just took a dremmel with sanding wheel and made the hole a little bigger, they fit right in.
I hope to get an amp and sub in the next few weeks. But I am running through money fast!!!!

Mattk11 03-13-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-TJ (Post 3496100)

I have the same speakers with. 75w x 4 amp. I also have a 10" sub with a 300w amp. They sound great even with the top off.

st1264 03-13-2013 10:05 PM

Good speakers with a good amp and you'll be loud and clear. This will cost you a few bucks though. Do it right once, then you'll be all set.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.