Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spyderweb shade vs. DirtyDog shade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spyderweb-shade-vs-dirtydog-shade-226634.html)

Ruby Tuesday 03-10-2013 05:34 PM

Spyderweb shade vs. DirtyDog shade

Anyone familiar with both brands of shades and have any opinion, pros, cons, fit and finish, longevity, installation ease.

mcdull 03-10-2013 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 3485741)
Anyone familiar with both brands of shades and have any opinion, pros, cons, fit and finish, longevity, installation ease.

I prefer DirtyDog's tighter fit to the side and its 3-pieces configuration for 4 doors, so I can put the shade only to the backseat and cargo for the complaining passengers and I enjoy the sun at the front. Attached some pictures for the fit.

You can't do that with Spiderweb as it only has shade for front seat or shade for both front and back in 1 piece. DirtyDog is more expensive though.

positrak 03-10-2013 06:28 PM

I got and use both. The Dirtydog is a better fit and finish. It clips to the front and it uses bungie hooks instead of balls. However it lets in 30% of the light vs. 10% with the Spydershade. I bought the Dirtydog first and found it let in too much light and was refracting and bouncing down through my sunglasses at the top of the glasses. Then got the Spydershade and tried that much better in terms of the light, then figgered I'd put the other on top of it which I liked even better. Spyder uses these stupid balls on its bungies which are annoying to use. Dirtydog uses simple hooks which are not. Plus as in the above pic, it clips to the front which provides a better shielding. I use it with my hard top and had to clip and cinch the backs as it fluttered too much.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2u3xqnr.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/yfpxz.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/fupcur.jpg

ranjr 03-10-2013 06:55 PM

Is there a link for the DirtyDog? First I've heard of it.

panthermark 03-10-2013 07:00 PM

Wish this thread would have been here prior to my Spiderwebshade a month ago.....

Ruby Tuesday 03-10-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr (Post 3485985)
Is there a link for the DirtyDog? First I've heard of it.

Dirtydog 4X4 Jeep Accessories

DIY07 03-10-2013 09:45 PM

Would like to see some good pics of the spider shade. Still can't decide which one to go with. leaning to go with the dirty dog now.

bfschor 03-10-2013 11:07 PM

I bought the Dirtydog shade only after reading how the side coverage is better. I can say that I'm not impressed with how much light comes through...it shades a little, but not nearly enough to what I'd like.
If the Spiderweb shades better, I'd forgo some side coverage, but I haven't seen where anyone has ever done a side by side comparison of the two.
The fit of the Dirtydog is excellent. I don't know anything about the spider balls, but Dirtydog's hooks are very simple to use.

positrak 03-10-2013 11:31 PM

It's a standard textile fabric. The one blocks 70% the other 90%. You can see the difference in the weave below:

Phifertex

Doctorsti 03-10-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positrak (Post 3487204)
It's a standard textile fabric. The one blocks 70% the other 90%. You can see the difference in the weave below:

Phifertex

Checking this out I could buy enough fabric for a two piece top for like 35 bucks, plus bungees and grommets maybe 50 bucks... Eh who am I kidding I am not going to spend the hours and hours trying to sew it up perfect for a savings of like 50 bucks.

mcdull 03-11-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorsti (Post 3487247)
Checking this out I could buy enough fabric for a two piece top for like 35 bucks, plus bungees and grommets maybe 50 bucks... Eh who am I kidding I am not going to spend the hours and hours trying to sew it up perfect for a savings of like 50 bucks.

I also thought I could sew it myself with the shade clothes and hardware from harbor freight after spending almost $200 on 3 pieces of DirtyDog. I believe a cheap sewing machine will do the job. I might do it if my screen got torn.

Interesting that people here can spend hours in wrenching and welding but refused to do the sewing :)

K7MDL 03-11-2013 02:43 AM

I found the gaps around the Spidershade edges were of no concern in use. I also unhook the front ties and tuck it back over the remaining attached section over my head if I want free view upward and also when I have the hard top on. I used the Spidershade for a 9 day trip in Moab and CO mountains in early September (lots of sun and 96F temps) and used no sunscreen other than occasionally for my arm hanging out the window. I had no sunburn problems, yet it was enough to see and feel most of the breeze. I leave it on all the time, hard top and soft top.

Ruby Tuesday 03-11-2013 07:38 PM

Thanks for the posts, I like the looks and fit of dirty dog, but the tighter weave of spyder is more appealing to me.....so....still can't decide yet.

JeepHerz 03-11-2013 11:30 PM

Does DD have a UV protectant? I thought UV protection on the Spidershade was a gimmick. However I can tell you it works.
It is a double edged sword- it does take away from the open feel- maybe the DD is better for this reason. I take mine off once it cools down. Recently we had a freak 90 degree day. I couldn't figure out why I was so hot with the top down. Then it dawned on me- I didn't have the shade on. Really big difference.

Hellion 03-12-2013 03:46 PM

Glad I found this thread...was going to buy a Spidershade but may hold off for now. Subscribed!

Casotakar1229 03-12-2013 04:27 PM

uugh. I didn't know about dirtydog until now. I want one to replace my spiderweb shade...the fit looks like it covers all the areas mine currently doesn't!

nbkmsta 03-12-2013 07:37 PM

Has anyone seen either brand in one of the colors they offer besides black? Not sure I would get anything besides black for my white JKU but it would be nice to see a pic of one.

Doctorsti 03-12-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbkmsta (Post 3495263)
Has anyone seen either brand in one of the colors they offer besides black? Not sure I would get anything besides black for my white JKU but it would be nice to see a pic of one.

I'm going to get a red spiderweb shade for my 10A Rubicon when it comes in but won't have pics until April!

CrispyB 03-12-2013 08:20 PM

I was worried about the gaps in the Spiderweb shade until I went to use the Freedom Top. Then I was grateful for them.

Also, Spiderweb shade is made in the US. Dirtydog is Canadian.

DIY07 03-12-2013 08:44 PM

I Think i have made my dicesion. Going with Spydershades. One piece almost half the price and oh yeah American made not sure but it looks like Dirty Dog is from our northern neighbors.

VaderJK12 03-12-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 3491645)
It is a double edged sword- it does take away from the open feel- maybe the DD is better for this reason.

Main reason why I decided against going for either the Spiderweb Shade or DD. I'd rather go with either the full cage or partial netting by Safari Straps. I want/need the open feel during the summer :D

kbwwolf 03-13-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderJK12 (Post 3495699)
Main reason why I decided against going for either the Spiderweb Shade or DD. I'd rather go with either the full cage or partial netting by Safari Straps. I want/need the open feel during the summer :D

My reasoning, as well.

Though I must say, I like the looks of the Dirty Dog nets.

VaderJK12 03-13-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 3497222)
My reasoning, as well.

Though I must say, I like the looks of the Dirty Dog nets.

They are nice also. Price is slightly higher. I may stick with Safari Straps.

sahara13 03-13-2013 09:25 AM

I have the spiderwebshade and I really like it. Never used the dirty dog on however. The gaps on the side are no big deal and the balls on the buggies aren't either. Really good sun protection (I live in the tropics). Its good quality and seems like it will last a long time. If you go with it I'm sure you won't be unhappy.

vincer2d2 03-13-2013 03:38 PM

well dang. Dirty Dog was on my must have summer list. But spider has 20% more shade? I have the complexion of a vampire so shade is key. hmmmmm

Spider people: I hear about a lot of issues with flapping. Any comments?

hbgirl 03-13-2013 03:44 PM

I went with Spideyshade; 20% more shade during Texas' 3-digit summers makes a huge difference.

cmaggi2 03-13-2013 04:58 PM

My Spiderweb is on the way. Louisiana summers are pretty hot, but Dirty Dog looks good too.

JeepHerz 03-13-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincer2d2 (Post 3499152)
well dang. Dirty Dog was on my must have summer list. But spider has 20% more shade? I have the complexion of a vampire so shade is key. hmmmmm

Spider people: I hear about a lot of issues with flapping. Any comments?

No flapping.
If you're on the tan side of pasty- get the Spidershade. Yes there is a slight gap. But I've gotten Jeep Spidershade tan lines. Ie: forearm (on the door) burnt- the rest of me (under the shade) stays just as pasty white as when I started the drive.
I bought it in the hopes of it cooling off the Jeep- now I'd buy it for the UV protection.

K7MDL 03-14-2013 04:30 AM

no flapping here. Properly installed it should be stretched tight. The back touches the roll bar pad the way I have it attached. Sides too tight to flap. Front no wind to make them flap.

panthermark 03-18-2013 03:18 PM

Anyone been able to make a 4 door Spiderweb shade fit with a Trektop NX?

I have a brand new, never been used Trailmesh shade sitting in a box in my garage waiting for spring, but it sounds like I won't be able to use it with a Trektop....