Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Georgia Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/)
-   -   bell mountain (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/bell-mountain-226674.html)

cleveland99 03-10-2013 07:35 PM

bell mountain

Can anyone give directions on this trail I really want to check it out but dont know how to get there

Trailsnail 03-12-2013 11:35 AM

I looked at a map an cant figure out which road it is. There are a couple choices.

For those that have been there, do you have a road name or GPS coordinates?

cleveland99 03-12-2013 11:47 AM

The best I have found is shake rag road looks like it goes to the base also saw another place called jim dodd rd over in toccoa

Trailsnail 03-12-2013 12:14 PM

Jim Dodd connects to Bend n Hickory

cleveland99 03-12-2013 12:16 PM

Oh ok should be ordering my lift next week I hope just in time for beasley lol then we can go after some tuff stuff

jkdreams 03-12-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleveland99 (Post 3493450)
Oh ok should be ordering my lift next week I hope just in time for beasley lol then we can go after some tuff stuff

Are you trying to hit Bell this weekend? I was going to check out Blood Mountain, but I would be up for something else.

cleveland99 03-12-2013 12:34 PM

No dont I be riding again till I get my lift where is blood mtn

kappaknight 03-12-2013 02:01 PM

Never heard of Blood Mtn.

Surely someone must know Bell? I heard it was 15 minutes or less away from Tray.

mlemoine 03-12-2013 02:39 PM

Blood mtn is a good place to hike to

jkdreams 03-12-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleveland99 (Post 3493531)
No dont I be riding again till I get my lift where is blood mtn

Northwest of Helen, south of Blairsville. Body lift or suspension lift?

jkdreams 03-12-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlemoine (Post 3493955)
Blood mtn is a good place to hike to

I was planning on doing some hiking / camping while I was there. I heard second hand that there is a Tray Mountain-esque FSR leading to a trail head.

Michigunman 03-12-2013 03:58 PM

Confirmed - Bell Mountain is at the end of Shake Rag Rd. It's just south of Hiawassee off Highway 76/17.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

jkdreams 03-12-2013 05:51 PM

I'm in for anytime this weekend or a Saturday ride in two weeks, but I'd have to bail on a Sunday ride that week.

ilovetojeep 03-23-2013 05:46 AM

I was randomly with my family and found this driving around! I didn't go too much further than the entrance. Let me know how it is! At the time I was in a stock 2012 f150 haha.

rodin 03-25-2013 07:34 AM

I used to go to blood mountain every other weekend with my coupe. would love to know about some trails around there.

austin d 04-15-2013 12:03 PM

just joined the forums today so sorry if i'm a little late on this. but I've grew up in Hiawassee and have been to the bell more times than I can count. once you find shake rag rd (located beside a gas station), continue down that road and it'll fork in the road and you want to stay left. if you see apartments on your left then you're going the right way. you'll continue up the mountain until you hit gravel and you're at the base of the mtn and then have fun! btw if you have children please be careful. once you reach the top of the mountain, theres a drop off on one side (the back side) and it quite a ways down :x

lee indy 04-15-2013 12:12 PM

thanks for the info.

cleveland99 04-15-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks I think we are coming that way weekend after next is there anywhere clos to ride seems bell is only a short ride

austin d 04-16-2013 09:46 AM

there really isn't much to the bell besides the view at the top. if you really want to have fun you wanna go to charlie's creek, or coleman river. highshoals was another area I've been to but only for camping and hiking. I didn't go far back enough to see what else it had to offer but i've done quite a bit of off roading in charlies creek. I can't really give directions to charlies creek bc i've always take back roads to get there but I can find something for the other two.

austin d 04-16-2013 09:54 AM

this is to high shoals

Directions:
From Hiawassee, Georgia go south for about 9 miles on Georgia Highway 17/75

Turn left onto Indian Grave Gap Road, graveled Forest Service Road 283.

Follow this road 1.5 miles to a small parking lot at the trailhead on the left.
(continue past the trailhead for more adventuring)
From Helen, Georgia take Georgia Highway 17/75 for approximately 11.4 miles.

Turn right onto Indian Grave Gap Road, graveled Forest Service Road 283.

Follow this road 1.5 miles to a small parking lot at the trailhead on the left.

austin d 04-16-2013 10:01 AM

this is to coleman river

Directions:
Take U.S. 76 west from Clayton Georgia for 8 miles. Turn right (north) on Persimmon Road (unnumbered) and drive 4 miles. Turn left (northwest) on Forest Service Road 70 and go 1.25 miles. Trailhead is on right.

--basically just get to persimmon rd and follow the rest. this is a route to charlies creek as well. once you're on forest service rd, just continue until you see a river crossing on your left. take that and continue and you'll be in charlies creek.

jkdreams 04-16-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin d (Post 3643451)
there really isn't much to the bell besides the view at the top. if you really want to have fun you wanna go to charlie's creek, or coleman river. highshoals was another area I've been to but only for camping and hiking. I didn't go far back enough to see what else it had to offer but i've done quite a bit of off roading in charlies creek. I can't really give directions to charlies creek bc i've always take back roads to get there but I can find something for the other two.

Do you have an iPhone? If so, you can drop a pin on the map and share the location. I've got the Forest service road maps for that area, so I'd love to figure it out if you got a spot that you really like and its legal.

jkdreams 04-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin d (Post 3643518)
this is to coleman river

Directions:
Take U.S. 76 west from Clayton Georgia for 8 miles. Turn right (north) on Persimmon Road (unnumbered) and drive 4 miles. Turn left (northwest) on Forest Service Road 70 and go 1.25 miles. Trailhead is on right.

--basically just get to persimmon rd and follow the rest. this is a route to charlies creek as well. once you're on forest service rd, just continue until you see a river crossing on your left. take that and continue and you'll be in charlies creek.

Thanks. We'll check it out. Are you up for wheeling when we go?

austin d 04-16-2013 11:12 AM

i'd love to but i'm in Afghanistan right now but maybe in a couple more months that could be possible

jkdreams 04-16-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin d (Post 3643744)
i'd love to but i'm in Afghanistan right now but maybe in a couple more months that could be possible

Thank you for your commitment to defending our country! How does driving an Army Hummer compare to your Wrangler?

austin d 04-16-2013 12:10 PM

well I drive a MATV on missions since the Humvee's don't stand as much of a chance to ied's but back in the states we drive the Humvee's and I guess it's sorta the same, just a lot heavier and not as much fun haha. hoping to get another wrangler when I get back since my last was a 2.5l and just didn't enjoy it as much as the 6 cyls. my dad is always getting new toys including 3 wranglers growing up so i'll introduce him to these forums and maybe he can show you some parts I've spoke of since he lives in Hiawassee still

jkdreams 04-16-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin d (Post 3643946)
well I drive a MATV on missions since the Humvee's don't stand as much of a chance to ied's but back in the states we drive the Humvee's and I guess it's sorta the same, just a lot heavier and not as much fun haha. hoping to get another wrangler when I get back since my last was a 2.5l and just didn't enjoy it as much as the 6 cyls. my dad is always getting new toys including 3 wranglers growing up so i'll introduce him to these forums and maybe he can show you some parts I've spoke of since he lives in Hiawassee still

lol

tell your dad all about it. we'll start a thread on it before we ride. we'll make sure to post the videos after and you can jeep vicariously through us. :thumb:

tsnell 04-16-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdreams (Post 3643844)
Thank you for your commitment to defending our country! How does driving an Army Hummer compare to your Wrangler?

I'll second the comment. Thanks for your service to our country. We are grateful.

austin d 04-16-2013 11:24 PM

we're the ones who should be thanking the people that support us! thanks

LULU05 04-17-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin d (Post 3646578)
we're the ones who should be thanking the people that support us! thanks

What you guys do is thanks enough. Stay safe. Come home soon.