Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2013 full of RUST (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-full-of-rust-226809.html)

AlpineOverNappa 03-11-2013 11:04 AM

2013 full of RUST

5 Attachment(s)
Bought a brand new 2013 (born in Jan '13) Rubicon unlimited with 4 miles at the end of January. In six weeks this is what the underneath looks like. The normal bare-metal places have surface rust as well (drive shaft, exhaust hangars, etc), which can be expected. The rust I am concerned about is on practically every weld/bolt/mounting point of the front axle. If you've special ordered or are looking to pull the trigger, carefully check the finish job on the underside to avoid this. (My jeep lives in a garage- didn't see any of the snow salt and gets regular undercarriage washes). The 15 year old TJ I had wasn't this rusty!

Attachment 221186

Attachment 221187

Attachment 221188

Attachment 221189

Attachment 221190

maleman876 03-11-2013 11:07 AM

guess i should go poke my head under mine...

AlpineOverNappa 03-11-2013 11:15 AM

I know other forum members have had the same issue; anybody have any luck in finding a resolution with their local dealership or with Chrysler in general? It may be on the surface for now, but those welds and shock tower won't stay that way for long.

Moabite 03-11-2013 11:15 AM

Go here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/13-...as-221853.html

BirminghamTJ 03-11-2013 11:18 AM

In VA, do they salt the roads? May just need to mix some molasses and water and stay on it, then rinse it off after it sits for a while. It may get a bit off it.

BirminghamTJ 03-11-2013 11:18 AM

I meant spray on it... D$&# autocorrect. Haha

Dew 03-11-2013 11:24 AM

2012: ticking heads
2013: undercarriage rust
2014: ?... whats next?

kenb1023 03-11-2013 11:27 AM

I was at the auto show and crawled under a brand new Ford F350 and it had just as much rust with only 12 miles on it. Must have to cut back on quality and paint to pay the Union wages:hide:. The Toyota Tundra I looked at was clean.

AlpineOverNappa 03-11-2013 11:32 AM

The rust on mine is nearly entirely concentrated at the front axle and the bits touching it. If this is "normal" for a jeep, why is the back end nice and shiny black? Stinks of QC issues to me

Blastek 03-11-2013 11:43 AM

i'm pretty sure the axles come complete from Dana? Perhaps Jeep is storing some of them in a pool of salt water.

Scott2373 03-11-2013 12:04 PM

Let Chrysler know!

I will be taking delivery of my 2013 next week, so I'm glad I found this post! If the stealerships are dropping the ball on this issue, it's time to get the manufacturer involved, since it seems they're the ones at fault. If they get enough complaints, it could open up a recall. I certainly don't want a brand new vehicle rusting out after several years, especially since they salt the roads like pretzels here in New York!

st1264 03-11-2013 12:35 PM

In an area that coats it's roads white with salt, that's the first thing I checked before I bought mine. Clean as a whistle. Will go get it undercoated/rust proofed. I guarantee the OP's vehicle caught some salt in Toledo or Detroit before being trucked down to VA. Once the temperature gets above freezing, salt starts eating.

Before you panic, that rust is absolutely nothing compared to what we get here. I would make the dealer clean it up for you and all we be well. My 13yr old WJ's whole underside was that color and only the rocker panels were showing rust on the exterior. Seriously, you guys don't know how lucky you are to not have road salt. Way up north in Quebec, they use sand and people are required by law to use snow tires. No rust there.

asianhulk 03-11-2013 12:44 PM

Yeah, in anchorage Alaska they use gravel too, no salt but... I remember when Toyota had a recall for the Tacoma due to under body rust and the spare tire falling down. If the components that make the car safe to drive fail due to rust, they will be mandated by the government to issue a recall. Before that? Sounds expensive, best thing would be to document it with your dealer so if anyone gets hurt from your rusted hubs or drive train, its on record

st1264 03-11-2013 01:14 PM

Vehicle picked up salt 2 months ago and was never washed underneath... started to rust. Make the dealer clean it up and undercoat these parts and you are good to go. Thinking your parts will fail for some surface rust is pretty funny.

kjeeper10 03-11-2013 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
50k 07

Allota rust :(

Jayrubicon 03-11-2013 02:29 PM

Not too bad here with rust on our '08 but its also the first year it's been here up from Texas. Just like was stated above, I also saw two lifted Tundras here with zero rust? Can't be a coincidence. Garbage quality here compared to alot of other manufactures unfortunately

Garyk 03-11-2013 02:37 PM

Have had my jeep for about 6 months now, not a speck of rust...Depends on where you live...

st1264 03-11-2013 03:39 PM

Use of road salt or humid areas will create tons of rust, but road salt is the absolute worst. Corrosive, will eat through anything. Warm and dry, might never see rust.

When you get salt on your vehicle, wash it. Try to get in every nook and cranny, do your best.

kenb1023 03-11-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3489306)
50k 07

Allota rust :(

You should see my 99 Ram taht was in WI for 10 years.

Nice shiney Ball Joints you got there.

geckojk1 03-11-2013 04:08 PM

i little undercoat or rust converter should fix this although i would see if the dealership will do it for free since it is new . ,vehicles being built in the winter are bound to pick up salt before they arive at the dealer and rust is bound to happen . i know that someone will come on and say that there should be more paint under the vehicle, .. probably true but i just count myself lucky that the wrangler hasnt been transformed into a unibody piece of crap. the rust im seeing would take 15-20 years to eat through an axle tube or a spindle

Jeeperz Creeperz 03-11-2013 04:23 PM

That is not normal unless it was shipped through salt water. If the dealer tries to say it is, make them show you every new one on the lot to see how bad the others are. My 2012 bought at the end of April 2012, has no rust and I park in salty sand at the beach often.

Old Dogger 03-11-2013 04:30 PM

I just purchased my 2013 Rubicon, build date Feb 2013. Before I bought it, I had them put it up on the rack and looked it over underneath. No rust at all and most everything was painted black, you could tell that it was new. Mine just came off of the Transporter so it didn't have any time to set on the lot. It had 10 miles on it.
There is only three way that you can get that much rust under a brand new vehicle and that is that it has either sat in water at the factory, at the Dealership, or the Transporter was stuck in a massive snow storm and yours was on the lower level. I would make sure that there is no signs of water entry into the cab. Only they know how deep the water, or snow was at one time. There is no reason why you should have to keep a Brand new Wrangler delivered to you with that amount of rust. I would make them give me another one. THAT'S TERRIBLE!
Good Luck...........

Lucy Brown 03-11-2013 04:43 PM

Mines not to bad but my driveshaft is solid rust. :nonono:

Blastek 03-11-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Brown (Post 3489729)

You're just seeing surface rust. The drive shaft and exhaust is not treated, so this is expected and completely normal. It's totally an appearance thing. Apparently, the thin layer of corrosion actually protects the shaft. Either way, it's not going to rust through.

You can paint it if you want, but I'd be concerned about balance issues.

kenb1023 03-11-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Brown (Post 3489729)

Do they even paint the drive shafts?

dale 3 03-11-2013 05:36 PM

No way MAN! To much to soon! Notice the shaft,rust then paint,Because lack of PAINT! Another reason to never spend 30k and up for a JEEP.That's a SHAME!

Miser 03-11-2013 06:07 PM

No, what your seeing is not normal! My 2003 with 50,000 miles on it didn't have that much rust.
I just went out and looked under my new Wrangler and I don't see any rust any place under it. My drive shafts are not painted, but they are also not rusty. I am in Arizona and the undercarriage of mine has not been in any water.
For yours to rust that bad, it had to set in water for a lengthy time frame to penetrate the paint and form rust. That didn't just happen over night!
Take it back to the Dealer and ask for a large rebate, or a different Rubicon. I wouldn't take no for a answer!!!

st1264 03-11-2013 06:44 PM

Not sure why people believe that metal has to be set in water to rust... it doesn't.

Moisture in the air and the reaction with oxygen cause metals to rust. Road salt is corrosive. No metal has to be submerged in water to rust. Moisture in the air and salt will cause it.

Guys from NM or AZ don't have to worry as it's dry and there is no road salt. It's humid as hell here and there is salt for 4 months of the year = rust. This Jeep was made in Toledo, about 45min from here. It's humid and they use road salt.

JTPhoto JK 03-11-2013 07:14 PM

Spray the affected parts with WD40 or some oil based undercoat and you will be fine.
I generally have mine undercoated in the fall then throw black rustolium spray paint on after a good cleaning in the spring.

Marcsblackjeep 03-11-2013 07:35 PM

What abou rustoleum undercarriage?

It's supposed be a rubber under spray. Anyone use it? Mabey some wirebrush and then a quick spray. It just may be what helps the PO