Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Fuel lines attached to tank (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/fuel-lines-attached-to-tank-226855.html)

DickSailor 03-11-2013 02:02 PM

Fuel lines attached to tank

Hey guys,

I have a '94 YJ with the 4.0L EFI. I just got done dropping the tank and replacing the two fuel lines that attach to the pump and then attach into the metal fuel lines right above the rear axle. This is the third time I've had to have this done because of fuel leaks on these lines. The prior two times I've had done at a local shop. The lines that the shop put on it were standard 5/16" fuel/vapor lines so that's what I put back on.

While working on this myself I noticed that the 5/16" line was almost too small for one of the ports on the fuel pump, but when I got a larger diameter fuel line that fit the fuel pump it didn't fit the metal line that runs up to the engine. The new line was way too big!

So I have a couple questions. I know there fuel lines specifically for fuel injection, should I have used one of these lines? Are the two lines coming from the pump the same or would one be a vapor line and the other a high pressure?

I found this website with a diagram of my fuel system.
FUEL LINES, REAR YJ BODY. Fits: 1994 JEEP WRANGLER 4.0L I6 Power Tech, 5-Speed Manual | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS
I replaced items 8 & 9, however a better description isn't listed on the website of those item numbers. Can somebody tell me what type of lines numbers 8&9 are supposed to be? And if fuel/vapor line is ok or if I'll need to change them out again.

Thank you, I highly appreciate it!

Carralo1 03-11-2013 04:04 PM

Those are just regular rubber fuel lines. You can get them from any auto parts store. One runs to fuel filter and other is a return. Just make sure they're the right diameter lines and get new hose clamps(good ones) not the cheap clamps yet strip and break way too easy

Redrider94 03-11-2013 05:12 PM

Those lines are not regular fuel line! You MUST use fuel injection line, this line is made to handle the higher pressure of the fuel pump. Regular fuel line will work for a while then it will weaken and leak.

Carralo1 03-11-2013 05:57 PM

Idk, I bought my lines at autozone for about 5 bucks and they haven't leaked a drop

Norcal_Chris 03-11-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrider94 (Post 3489817)
Those lines are not regular fuel line! You MUST use fuel injection line, this line is made to handle the higher pressure of the fuel pump. Regular fuel line will work for a while then it will weaken and leak.

Its not a must but a should. My old rig is going on 5 years with regular low pressure fuel line. About a 15ft peice and still looks the same. That is at 40psi .

You only need a small peice so just pay the little extra for the "special" hose. Use that for the pressure line and the regular hose will be more than fine for the return side.

94 yj 03-11-2013 08:33 PM

Newer fuel lines are alcohol resistant also. The ethenol will eat older fuel lines and cause issues (read some boat forums). If they are new with new high quality clamps you should be OK...mine are 3 years with no problems.
-John

Carralo1 03-11-2013 09:18 PM

You guys are good, Learn something new everday. I guess the higher pressure rated hoses have a Teflon liner inside and these are the type you want for fuel injected engines. I'm pretty sure the hoses I got had this lining but I was ignorant of the difference when I bought them. Stock fuel pressure should be 39psi I believe so that's a benchmark when checking psi ratings

DickSailor 03-11-2013 11:26 PM

Sounds like I'll be dropping the tank again at some point. :( I'll be sure to use the high pressure lines next time.

Thanks