Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Maintenance questions TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/maintenance-questions-tj-227050.html)

Jlins 03-12-2013 11:10 AM

Maintenance questions TJ

I am looking for a list of stuff that I should be regularly checking to keep my jeep healthy. Can you guys help me out?

Higher Pursuit 03-12-2013 11:18 AM

I dont know how often, if ever, the roads see salt out your way but in PA its excessive. I try to at least once a week give the Jeep a good undercarriage wash to remove all the salt and road grime which in turns helps prevent rust. IMO I think that is one of the more important things to keep up with. Doesn't matter how nice your jeep or the mods are if the frame falls apart and looks like a pretzel! :thumb:

Jlins 03-12-2013 11:34 AM

I live in Utah, so the road salt is abundant. Do you just use a power washer to clean off the salt or do you use something else?

TheDefiled 03-12-2013 11:51 AM

I live up in Illinois and I just go to the quarter wash every so often. Salt is crazy here, just this morning a truck was throwing it at my jeep when I was passing by him.

Higher Pursuit 03-12-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlins (Post 3493260)
I live in Utah, so the road salt is abundant. Do you just use a power washer to clean off the salt or do you use something else?

A power washer works fine. As Defiled said a quarter wash works well and I use that often. Some automatic cash washes work well too but make sure they have the jets that spray up from the bottom not just the sides and top. Also I stay away from the car washes with the brushes because of my soft top. The windows scratch super easy. Ive never had any problems with running the soft top through one of the touchless washes.

Timberline 03-12-2013 12:26 PM

We have started using Magnesium Chloride here in Colorado on some of our roads and you best get that stuff off your rig at first chance!! I have had experience with it where it will actually stain, yes stain, any chrome pieces you have on your vehicle. Even plastic chrome items will get these stains if you don't spray off your vehicle within just a couple days of coming in contact with this solution. It does work very well on the roads though.

UFOtestpilot 03-12-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlins (Post 3493179)
I am looking for a list of stuff that I should be regularly checking to keep my jeep healthy. Can you guys help me out?

Fluids, suspension joints, oil level and quality, power steering/ATF, belt system including pulleys, brakes, tires and alignment, and whatever gets used/abused outside of normal consumables and routine maintenance.

Morris4x4Center 03-12-2013 02:49 PM

This is mainly for Winter, but it should help you.

Morris 44 Center’s Winter Check List | Morris 44 Center Blog

TJGARMA03 03-12-2013 02:59 PM

Check your tire pressure and keep them tires rotated . All fluids too and a nice top to bottom wash here and there.

Jlins 03-12-2013 11:45 PM

Thanks guys