Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Superchips Flashcal vs AEV Procal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/superchips-flashcal-vs-aev-procal-227055.html)

speedguy 03-12-2013 12:26 PM

Superchips Flashcal vs AEV Procal

Does anyone have knowledge of these products? Is it a toss-up or does one do things that the other doesn't?

Ubear7 03-14-2013 09:19 PM

I was wondering between Procal and Bullydog GT gas for jeep.

Westside1 03-14-2013 09:21 PM

i run the superchips flashpaq and i see quite the difference in horsepower/torque. been using it for 2 months now, been using the 91octane perfomance. only problem is the price of gas but eh i dont really care hahahaha

speedguy 03-14-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westside1 (Post 3504797)
i run the superchips flashpaq and i see quite the difference in horsepower/torque. been using it for 2 months now, been using the 91octane perfomance. only problem is the price of gas but eh i dont really care hahahaha

Nice looking rig. I'm considering the Flashcal; it appears to be a new product from Superchips that has functions similar to the Procal.

KCook 03-14-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3493230)
Does anyone have knowledge of these products? Is it a toss-up or does one do things that the other doesn't?

I assume you mean the FlashPaq?

The FlashPaq differs from the Procal in that it essentially "tunes" by changing the auto shift points, while the Procal won't. Besides that, pretty much the same features... adjust speedo for aftermarket tires, adjust tpms etc etc...

If you have a manual, it's especially not worth twice the price, in my opinion.

Another thing, afaik, the Flashpaq is only compatible with up to 2010 models, so if you have a newer Jeep than that, you're out of luck.

I'm picking up the Procal myself, once my new wheels and tires are installed.

Westside1 03-14-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3504892)
Nice looking rig. I'm considering the Flashcal; it appears to be a new product from Superchips that has functions similar to the Procal.

thanks, and yea flashpaq is only for 07-10 models.

speedguy 03-14-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCook (Post 3504963)
I assume you mean the FlashPaq?

The FlashPaq differs from the Procal in that it essentially "tunes" by changing the auto shift points, while the Procal won't. Besides that, pretty much the same features... adjust speedo for aftermarket tires, adjust tpms etc etc...

If you have a manual, it's especially not worth twice the price, in my opinion.

Another thing, afaik, the Flashpaq is only compatible with up to 2010 models, so if you have a newer Jeep than that, you're out of luck.

I'm picking up the Procal myself, once my new wheels and tires are installed.

When I ordered my tires&lift from Quadratec, they mentioned the Flashcal...said it's a newer Superchips product. I want to determine how it differs from the Procal so I can decide which one to use on mine.

KCook 03-14-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3504992)
When I ordered my tires&lift from Quadratec, they mentioned the Flashcal...said it's a newer Superchips product. I want to determine how it differs from the Procal so I can decide which one to use on mine.

I've never heard of it... Not mentioned anywhere on Superchip's site...

*Edit* It is on the Quadratec site here... Superchips 3570 - Superchips® Flashcal Programmer for 11-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Looks to have the same features as the Procal, with a few minor extras, such as headlamp delay, radio delay, and options for keyless entry... For $10 more, it's probably not a bad choice...

I still find it weird that it's not on the Superchips site, tho...

Westside1 03-14-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCook (Post 3505085)

*Edit* It is on the Quadratec site here... Superchips 3570 - Superchips® Flashcal Programmer for 11-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Looks to have the same features as the Procal, with a few minor extras, such as headlamp delay, radio delay, and options for keyless entry... For $10 more, it's probably not a bad choice...

I didn't know that existed, and it's cheaper too!

Ubear7 03-14-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCook (Post 3505085)

I like it. For $10 more you get a display to choose from instead of dip switches. Just in time as I was getting ready to checkout at qt.

speedguy 03-14-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3505258)
I like it. For $10 more you get a display to choose from instead of dip switches. Just in time as I was getting ready to checkout at qt.

Let us know if you like it.

Ubear7 03-14-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3505289)
Let us know if you like it.

Sure will. Does a couple things Procal doesn't. Here is the list.
• Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades between 22.5” - 44.25”
• Speedometer recalibration for gear /axle swaps up to 5.38
• Transfer case Hi and Lo locking options
• ESP stability optimization
•Engine idle adjustability for winching
• Street legal TPMS adjustability (Off-Road options available for download)
• Daytime running light options (2011-12 models only)
• One touch lane change
• Radio delay options
• Headlamp delay options
• Horn chirp and exterior lighting flash options when locking doors
with keyless entry
• Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes
• Internet updatable

Most noticeable reads and clears diagnostic codes , Internet upgradable, and transfer case hi lo lock. Only thing missing the alignment thing. Maybe upgradeable.

speedguy 03-14-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3505305)
• One touch lane change
• Radio delay options
• Headlamp delay options
with keyless entry
• Internet updatable

Most noticeable reads and clears diagnostic codes , Internet upgradable, and transfer case hi lo lock. Only thing missing the alignment thing. Maybe upgradeable.

I do like the display vs. the switches, and I am encouraged by the claim that the flashcal can be updated. I wonder what changed in 2013 that eliminated control of the daytime running lamps?

Ubear7 03-14-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3505386)
I do like the display vs. the switches, and I am encouraged by the claim that the flashcal can be updated. I wonder what changed in 2013 that eliminated control of the daytime running lamps?

Hmmm. Wouldn't know.

speedguy 03-27-2013 05:02 PM

Waiting for delivery...hope to know more soon.

Sinclair 03-27-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3560360)
Waiting for delivery...hope to know more soon.

Yeah, this is one of those annoying things about QT and other online retailers....they don't mention when you order something if the item is in stock or not, even though they allow the payment to process through your bank account. I was told by both QT and Northridge4x4 that they have not received the new Superchips Flashcal's yet. Called them both 5 days ago and was told that they are due to receive them from superchips in about 7-10 days. Ah, such is life. :)

Anyway, I'm also curious to see how it compares to the Procal (so far seems very similar, minus the dip switches), and I also have one on order.

twarner776 03-27-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3505305)
• One touch lane change
• Radio delay options
• Headlamp delay options
with keyless entry
• Internet updatable

weird we cant get any info. Would love the ability to use my front and rear lockers in 4hi on my rubicon. I will be ordering as soon as i can get more info.

Ubear7 03-27-2013 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 3560515)

Yeah, this is one of those annoying things about QT and other online retailers....they don't mention when you order something if the item is in stock or not, even though they allow the payment to process through your bank account. I was told by both QT and Northridge4x4 that they have not received the new Superchips Flashcal's yet. Called them both 5 days ago and was told that they are due to receive them from superchips in about 7-10 days. Ah, such is life. :)

Anyway, I'm also curious to see how it compares to the Procal (so far seems very similar, minus the dip switches), and I also have one on order.

Exactly! I usually try to order from online stores with real time in stock quantity. I have these (picture) waiting to be put on. Don't want to get all the error codes from the computer.

Attachment 228295

KCook 03-27-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3561581)
Exactly! I usually try to order from online stores with real time in stock quantity. I have these (picture) waiting to be put on. Don't want to get all the error codes from the computer.

Attachment 228295

I had my 35" Mickey Thompsons put on yesterday (Nice tires btw), and I haven't seen any error codes at all. Speedo is off, but that's it. So far... lol

Ubear7 03-27-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCook (Post 3561748)

I had my 35" Mickey Thompsons put on yesterday (Nice tires btw), and I haven't seen any error codes at all. Speedo is off, but that's it. So far... lol

Thanks, do you have the A/T? I wanted to put them on as this is not really my DD but remember reading the threads of the tranny shifting funny and getting some error codes from the Computer ref ESP. If they take longer than a week I may put them on anyway. Lol

Sinclair 03-28-2013 07:10 AM

Ubear, I can only speak from my own experience.....put the tires on, man! Don't let a few mph on the speedo discourage you. If you're worried about that, just download a free speedo app on your phone that will give you GPS speed in the meantime.

About the shift points....well, yeah it's annoying at first, but it also depends on your driving style and whether you will be highway vs city driving. Again, I would not have taken my 35's back off because of the annoyance.

I did not get any error codes with new (bigger) tires. Only the TPMS light because to my knowledge, there are no TPMS sensors on my new wheels. I did end up using a Procal for now, especially when I found out that the Flashcal would not arrive for another week.

I'd go for it and slap on the new shoes! :punk:

Sueby 03-28-2013 07:27 AM

Anyone know what the 'ESP stability optimization' might be? I want to fully disable the nannies without spending 5 or 6 hundred bucks on a programmer. I googled it but can't find any real info on it but I'm guessing they are just talking about adjusting for tire size, not disabling it.

KCook 03-28-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3561868)

Thanks, do you have the A/T? I wanted to put them on as this is not really my DD but remember reading the threads of the tranny shifting funny and getting some error codes from the Computer ref ESP. If they take longer than a week I may put them on anyway. Lol

No, I've got the MTZs... And mine is a manual, so no funny shifting unless I do it myself, so that might explain why I'm not throwing any codes.

YJ Bill 03-28-2013 08:59 AM

Wondering what the transfercase locking options might be?

speedguy 03-28-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubear7 (Post 3561868)

I put 35s on with my 4 10 gears and auto tranny. The shifts points are off just enough to make the motor bog down periodically. If I get codes before my flashcal arrives, should I simply clear them with the flashcal or should I wait for the shop to read them first before clearing them?

twarner776 03-28-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ Bill (Post 3563015)
Wondering what the transfercase locking options might be?

my guess or at least what im hoping is the ability to use the rubicon axle locks in 4hi

Sinclair 03-28-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedguy (Post 3563084)
I put 35s on with my 4 10 gears and auto tranny. The shifts points are off just enough to make the motor bog down periodically. If I get codes before my flashcal arrives, should I simply clear them with the flashcal or should I wait for the shop to read them first before clearing them?

You can read the codes yourself, you don't need the flashcal or anything special. Just do the key thing. It's posted somewhere on the forum, but basically you just turn the key to the on position (but dont start it), wait for the chimes and lights to finish, then turn the key to off and back to on 3 times. Your code will be displayed.

I'm not sure what codes would come up for you...haven't had that happen to me and I have the same set up. Good luck!

Jared66 03-28-2013 11:44 AM

Are there any programmers out for the 2011 jku's yet.

YJ Bill 03-29-2013 10:33 AM

Yes, from what I found also you can program the use of the lockers in 4 hi. Would be nice if it would let you diso the sway bar at will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twarner776 (Post 3563363)
my guess or at least what im hoping is the ability to use the rubicon axle locks in 4hi

Ubear7 04-09-2013 01:43 PM

Just got e-mail from quadratec my Superchips Flashcal should be here by Saturday. We'll see.