Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep Girl LI (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-girl-li-227095.html)

Arexx 03-12-2013 02:27 PM

Jeep Girl LI
 
Hey everyone! I'm kind of new here, I purchased my Jeep last March so I've been running it around a year and now I'm looking to start mods.

So... I have a 2012 2-door Wrangler Sport, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on soft tops for me? I've been checking some threads but I can't really seem to find the answers I've been looking for. I'm from Long Island and I'm looking to run a bikini top all summer but want an idea of one that would be the best for the weather out here. I've been looking at Bestop bikinis, the safari and regular bikini, and I also wanted to know the differences between Bestop, Rampage and OEM.

Even if I ran a soft top through the winter, maybe I could get rid of my hard top to off-set costs.

Thanks guys!


:angel:

kenb1023 03-12-2013 02:33 PM

I have an OEM soft top but have never had it on. You may want to think real hard about selling your hard top especially in the north. Soft tops and snow do not always make for a good combination.
Seeing that you have a two door the issue for storage is not has hard as it is for a four door. Now as for the soft top question I will leave that to those that have actually used the soft top.
By the way, welcome to the family.

sahara13 03-12-2013 02:39 PM

check out this out for a summer top.

SW1 JK-2D /// TrailMesh | SpiderWebShade.com

I live in south west florida and rarely put up my soft top but when you need to the soft top goes directly over this sun shade. No removal of the spider shade at all. It keeps out the direct sun rays and also lets the warm air that can build up at stop lights out the top to keep you cooler. I love mine. Very durable too.

12CrushRubi 03-12-2013 02:39 PM

1st of all welcome to the forum! Try doing a search for a keyword like "best bikini top" but make sure you select in title only. It's much more specific that way. I only have a soft top so I'm not sure which would be the best one. Good luck!

stzd8 03-12-2013 02:39 PM

Lot of people like the Best Top soft top brand. They even have on that works as a bikini top.

ilikeguns 03-12-2013 02:40 PM

I wouldn't run a soft top during the winter because scraping the snow and ice off the windows would scuff/scratch the hell out of the windows.

I like the OEM soft top but don't have any experience with the others..

Sucks that smith point is gonna be closed this year...

Casotakar1229 03-12-2013 03:00 PM

best looking soft-top IMO. even though I already have a soft top, I may end up selling mine and getting this one...

Bestop 56822-35 - Bestop® Trektop NX in Black Diamond for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

mrbullitt 03-12-2013 03:23 PM

Welcome! And Ditto to Bestop!

Matador 03-12-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeguns (Post 3493966)
I wouldn't run a soft top during the winter because scraping the snow and ice off the windows would scuff/scratch the hell out of the windows.

I like the OEM soft top but don't have any experience with the others..

Sucks that smith point is gonna be closed this year...

Hey man, what are you doing in here? :hide:

OP, if your looking for a nice soft top, Offroad Heros is developing a 2-door version of their top and its a really versatile top, check it out

http://www.offroadheros.com

ilikeguns 03-12-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 3494145)
Hey man, what are you doing in here? :hide:

OP, if your looking for a nice soft top, Offroad Heros is developing a 2-door version of their top and its a really versatile top, check it out

OFFROAD HEROS - Soft tops - Liner - Hard top lift

Shouldn't you be doing work on someone else's jeep while yours sits in your driveway completely stock?

I didn't realize that i actually got to work on your jeep this past weekend.. never thought that day would happen.

FDHog 03-12-2013 05:58 PM

This is my third Jeep and the first time without a hardtop. I only used my hardtops for about 4 months of the year, so this time I decided to pass on the hardtop. It's no big deal running a hardtop during the winter. You don't scrape snow off them. Just smack them from the inside, and it all falls off. On my previous tw o jeeps, I used Bestop tops. If you just want a bikini, get the spiderweb shade JKini. You could also check out Dirty Dogs. Both bikinis can be left on under the soft or hard top.

JKatfish 03-12-2013 06:07 PM

The Trektop NX may be best for you. You can run it bikini style with the side and rear windows out and zip them back in an emergency. It's frameless and runs bout $600. Welcome to the Forum!

52Tele 03-12-2013 06:31 PM

Cool yas gots a JEEP!

SullyRock71 03-12-2013 06:38 PM

Welcome to the Forum! I had the OEM on the same Jeep you have and never had many issues with it other than a leak before trading it in. Trektop has had a lot of good reviews on here. Basically I offer no good advice, just rehashed.... Haha

kjeeper10 03-12-2013 07:13 PM

Welcome :D
There are OEM tops for sale on the forums all the time.
Just remember the 15 post rule if responding to a ad.

Good luck

allblackedout 03-12-2013 07:19 PM

Hello from LI :wavey: I run my softop year round and am getting a bestop bikini this summer, I think It'll work best of LI summers.

JerryJeepster 03-12-2013 07:47 PM

I like the idea of the spiderwedshade. As far as running a soft top all winter up north, don't sweat it. I did it for a few years and never had an issue with it. Maybe a bit chilly at times but the Jeep heater takes care of that.

NF8 03-12-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arexx (Post 3493919)
Hey everyone! I'm kind of new here, I purchased my Jeep last March so I've been running it around a year and now I'm looking to start mods.

So... I have a 2012 2-door Wrangler Sport, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on soft tops for me? I've been checking some threads but I can't really seem to find the answers I've been looking for. I'm from Long Island and I'm looking to run a bikini top all summer but want an idea of one that would be the best for the weather out here. I've been looking at Bestop bikinis, the safari and regular bikini, and I also wanted to know the differences between Bestop, Rampage and OEM.

Even if I ran a soft top through the winter, maybe I could get rid of my hard top to off-set costs.

Thanks guys!


:angel:


Don't sell the hardtop. I live in Northern NJ and I'm glad I kept it. I go soft-top from April-November.

Bone 03-12-2013 07:55 PM

A soft top in the winter is NOT a problem. I had one when I lived up in Alaska, no problems and no ice scraping required. I had a Bestop Trek Top NX on my LJ (sold my hard top to get it) and it was the best top I've ever had on a Jeep. Waaay easier to get the windows out than the OEM top and versatile enough to be three tops in one. Take out the three windows and there's your bikini top. It's also extremely easy to install, you can do it yourself, no trouble. The only issue, it's a little noisier than the OEM soft top is on my current '13 JK; not bad, just a little more noise.

geckojk1 03-12-2013 09:57 PM

i would definitely not sell the hard top , i picked up a lightly used mopar soft top and had it on for 3 months before winter hit , overall i was happy with it except the wind noise and few water leaks i would not want to run it in the winter, as for which brand is better i will leave that to someone with a little more knoledge on them .

TexasJeepGirl 03-12-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 3494145)
Hey man, what are you doing in here? :hide:

OP, if your looking for a nice soft top, Offroad Heros is developing a 2-door version of their top and its a really versatile top, check it out

OFFROAD HEROS - Soft tops - Liner - Hard top lift

I thought Offroad Heros was the company scamming people?
:confused:

cam36 03-12-2013 10:49 PM

Hi! I'm from LI too! I have a 2012 two door that came with a hard top. I bought the trektop nx for the summer. I only had a soft top with my old tj and that did fine for the winters. But being that you already have the hard top I would not sell it. If you look on Craig's there are always used tops available. But look into the trektop! Hope to see ya on the beach this summer!

Matador 03-13-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJeepGirl (Post 3496098)
I thought Offroad Heros was the company scamming people?
:confused:

Not at all. The problem is that they take a tremendous amount of time to produce because its just one guy doing it out of his garage. But the design, fit and finish has been outstanding. This is based off reviews I have read on the internets. :thumb:

Goofyjumper 03-13-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 (Post 3494030)
best looking soft-top IMO. even though I already have a soft top, I may end up selling mine and getting this one...

Bestop 56822-35 - Bestop® Trektop NX in Black Diamond for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec


X2 on the Trektop NX in Black Diamond

I installed this top on my jeep two weeks ago and love it. It is a bikini top, flip top, and full soft top all in one and it doesn't have a frame to store when you don't have the top on. Looks good too!

I live in Colorado and in the last two weeks the top has been snowed on twice. Not a big deal as others may say. This isn't my first soft top and on my TJ I ran a soft top year round in the winter. You just have to be a little more careful with it compared to a full hard top.

TexasJeepGirl 03-13-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador

Not at all. The problem is that they take a tremendous amount of time to produce because its just one guy doing it out of his garage. But the design, fit and finish has been outstanding. This is based off reviews I have read on the internets. :thumb:

I don't know, I've read some pretty bad stuff and not just regarding the 3 month wait... He has been banned by PayPal and eBay for scamming people and the guy Is apparently an ass. Tops look great and I suppose some people get lucky dealing with him, but I wouldn't give him my business...

ibwile 03-13-2013 02:22 PM

Hey, Welcome.

I am running the OEM premium soft top and love it so far. It was just fine in our big snowstorm (Nemo?). I was on the LIE during the whole thing.

I had both a hard and soft top on the TJ and was nervous about giving up the hard top winters. But this soft top is miles better than the old one.

That said, If I already had a hard top I don't think I'd get rid of it. (If you do, let me know!)

I am looking at the spidershade as an additional option myself.

Arexx 03-15-2013 01:42 PM

You guys are all awesome thanks so much for the warm welcome and for the info :) I'm thinking I won't get rid of the hard too now but I'll probably run a bikini top starting in a month or so... I've been looking more into the Bestop bikinis and they seem like my best option right now. I'll probably only run it for a few months until September/October and put the hard top back on.

I head Smiths Point was going to open this summer to my LIers, but there's going to be limited access to the outer beach :( either way, one of my favorite beach spots is gone.

Hope to see you guys out this summer! Don't forget to wave :)

& PS sorry for the late response to everyone, it's midterms week :( wahh!

Arexx 03-15-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblackedout (Post 3495168)
Hello from LI :wavey: I run my softop year round and am getting a bestop bikini this summer, I think It'll work best of LI summers.

:wavey: hiiiii! I've been looking at the Bestop bikinis and I think I like them the best :) I agree lol I'm just in need of something that will cover the backseats in case of downpours! But either way I think I'm gonna get the emergency cover for that.

Jeeps_and_Boats 03-15-2013 04:49 PM

Also, something else to consider is that you can get a premium fabric on some styles of top. (should that be important)

kenb1023 03-15-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arexx (Post 3507666)
You guys are all awesome thanks so much for the warm welcome and for the info :) I'm thinking I won't get rid of the hard too now but I'll probably run a bikini top starting in a month or so... I've been looking more into the Bestop bikinis and they seem like my best option right now. I'll probably only run it for a few months until September/October and put the hard top back on.

I head Smiths Point was going to open this summer to my LIers, but there's going to be limited access to the outer beach :( either way, one of my favorite beach spots is gone.

Hope to see you guys out this summer! Don't forget to wave :)

& PS sorry for the late response to everyone, it's midterms week :( wahh!

Don't sweat it, your going to need good grades :thumb: to get a good job :cool: to pay for all the good MODs :dance:. Life's Good when your in a Jeep :dance:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.