Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Savvy track bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/savvy-track-bar-227427.html)

Patrick H 03-13-2013 05:17 PM

Savvy track bar

How well will it clear with only 2 1/2" lift? I'm already at 2" or so bump stop and don't want to add any more.

Jerry Bransford 03-13-2013 05:23 PM

What did Savvy say? You're right at a height where I'm not sure if it works or not.

UnlimitedLJ04 03-13-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3499549)
How well will it clear with only 2 1/2" lift? I'm already at 2" or so bump stop and don't want to add any more.

The Currie TJS/TJJ model will fit with 2" bumpstop extension. JKS also makes one that will fit.

If you go to a V8 ZJ tie-rod, you can squeeze a little more clearance and reduce the bumpstop extension some, if the rest of your suspension/clearance allows.

Patrick H 03-13-2013 06:59 PM

I already have the ZJ tie rod. I' actually close to 2 1/2" bump stops, but I was hoping to lose 1/2" or so when I get shorter shocks. I still have some tire clearance left . If the Savvy unit will work with my 2 1/2" bump stops I'd be fine with that. Savvy's description states they require at least 2" lift. I just want there to be no clearance issues whatsoever.

Patrick H 03-13-2013 07:11 PM

Maybe I should ask this- Am I going to gain anything by going to a non- stock track bar? Mine has some play at the frame side spherical joint. I already welded a reinforcement plate on the axle bracket and drilled a new hole to center my axle. I'm running 2" BDS springs and a 3/4" spacer. I don't intend to go higher because I can clear 33's as is, and I won't go bigger.
Is it a waste of money, for my particular application, since the adjustability isn't really a concern?

Patrick H 03-13-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

The Currie TJS/TJJ model will fit with 2" bumpstop extension. JKS also makes one that will fit.
JKS OGS126, description claims is will clear with D30 stock diff cover, and has a JJ on the frame end.

Patrick H 03-13-2013 08:30 PM

......And with some reading some threads on JF, it appears the JKS will fit just fine with the ZJ tie rod and stock diff cover, but apparently it has a smaller frame side bolt (through the JJ) than does the Savvy. Is the 5/8" bolt vs. the JKS's 9/16" bolt worth a hundred bucks?

lynn 03-14-2013 06:18 AM

Patrick, I'm running the JKS 126 track bar.
3" lift.
No issues.
IIRC, I had to drill out the stock frame side mount to accept the 9/16 bolt.
Should be plenty strong enough.
It's been in place for ~5 years now. I did replace the axle-side bolt last fall because it uses the stock bolt (I was chasing the shimmy that I finally cured with the Currie LCAs). I went to a higher strength bolt that was not necked down 1 mm like the stock bolt. This allowed me to tighten to ~75 ft lbs IIRC
When I replaced the axle side bolt I checked the frame side for tightness; it was totally solid.

Black Magic Brakes 03-14-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 3501944)
Patrick, I'm running the JKS 126 track bar.
3" lift.
No issues.
IIRC, I had to drill out the stock frame side mount to accept the 9/16 bolt.
Should be plenty strong enough.
It's been in place for ~5 years now. I did replace the axle-side bolt last fall because it uses the stock bolt (I was chasing the shimmy that I finally cured with the Currie LCAs). I went to a higher strength bolt that was not necked down 1 mm like the stock bolt. This allowed me to tighten to ~75 ft lbs IIRC
When I replaced the axle side bolt I checked the frame side for tightness; it was totally solid.

The necking down of the bolt has a fair bit of science behind it. Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, the tech behind the shape and construction is quite sound.

It does little good to have a shank larger than the root diameter of the threads very similar to the science behind why axle shafts work better if the shaft diameter is smaller or the same size as the root diameter of the splines. The shoulder under the head centers the fastener in the hole and the "necked" down section is about the same size as the smallest part of the threads.

It's an expensive bolt to make and I rarely find them to fail.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:10 AM

My stock axle bracket bolt was, um, over tightened at some point..:) and thus, stretched.
So, there's a 3/8" Gr.8 bolt in there now. I ordered the JKS.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:12 AM

Now for the worn out steering gear. I shudder at the thought of parts store reman units, but I don't have $500 for a new one from AGR or PSC....

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:14 AM

Lynn, what steering/ tie rod are you running, and what do you have as far as bump stops?

lynn 03-14-2013 07:27 AM

Still stock steering. I have a ZJ tie rod assembly sitting in the corner of the garage since last July... ;)

Bumps... it's been so long since I looked at them.. I know it is the aluminum puck that came with the Full Traction 3" kit. I don't recall the dimension.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 3502118)
Still stock steering. I have a ZJ tie rod assembly sitting in the corner of the garage since last July... ;)

Bumps... it's been so long since I looked at them.. I know it is the aluminum puck that came with the Full Traction 3" kit. I don't recall the dimension.

Just curious.:)

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3502062)
The necking down of the bolt has a fair bit of science behind it. Contrary to what the internet would have you believe, the tech behind the shape and construction is quite sound.

It does little good to have a shank larger than the root diameter of the threads very similar to the science behind why axle shafts work better if the shaft diameter is smaller or the same size as the root diameter of the splines. The shoulder under the head centers the fastener in the hole and the "necked" down section is about the same size as the smallest part of the threads.

It's an expensive bolt to make and I rarely find them to fail.

Since a larger shank fits/ fills the track bar bushing sleave a little tighter, I'd guess a lot of folks think that will make the track bar nore secure. The reality is, though, that if the bolt is properly torqued, be it the stock bolt or otherwise, that bolt will never see shear. In this application, it's strictly in tension.

lynn 03-14-2013 07:44 AM

As for steering boxes... back when I needed one for the CJ, I found that Lares Corp. was building a very good quality rebuild for a fair price. Their rep was better than other rebuilders at the time.

Lares Corporation

At the time AutoZone would order for you, not sure if they still can.

For some models they have a standard rebuild to stock, and an upgrade to their "Rock Crawler" version.
For a standard 97-02 TJ box, P/N 1353. Rock Crawler version P/N 1352
Back when I got one for the CJ it was ~$150 IIRC. That box is still on the CJ, no probs.
Looks like they have limited lifetime warranty, fwiw...

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:48 AM

I found Lares @ Rock Auto. Shipping on the box and the return core hurts bad on that, though. The Duralast box is an Atsco, and I've had better results with their stuff than I have A1-Cardone. $130, no shipping.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 07:51 AM

That "rock crawler" box from Lares is a 4 bolt box. IIRC, 4 bolt boxes do fit in a 3 bolt application, just one bolt (obviously) isn't used. Is that correct?

lynn 03-14-2013 07:52 AM

When I got my Lares through AZ there was no shipping charge, and core return was simply to AZ. May have been a slightly higher base price than RockAuto.

lynn 03-14-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3502182)
That "rock crawler" box from Lares is a 4 bolt box. IIRC, 4 bolt boxes do fit in a 3 bolt application, just one bolt (obviously) isn't used. Is that correct?

That is one of those facts I never bothered to mentally file... :redface:

UnlimitedLJ04 03-14-2013 07:54 AM

Patrick-
here's a rundown on JKS vs Currie TJS/TJJ clearance w/ low lift.
Stock cover, Currie TJS/TJJ, stock tie-rod, w/ 2" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, Currie TJS/TJJ, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w/ 1" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, JKS, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w/ 1" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, JKS, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w. ~1.5" bumpstop extension

Do you have a BL? If not, you'll be hard pressed to get much lower than 2" bumpstop extensions w/ 33s, depending on backspacing & tire width. With 10.50 or 9.5" wide tires on stock-ish BS, you could probably get the tires to tuck inside the fenderwell a little easier than 12.50 wide.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3502192)
Patrick-
here's a rundown on JKS vs Currie TJS/TJJ clearance w/ low lift.
Stock cover, Currie TJS/TJJ, stock tie-rod, w/ 2" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, Currie TJS/TJJ, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w/ 1" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, JKS, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w/ 1" bumpstop extension.
Stock cover, JKS, V8 ZJ tie-rod, w. ~1.5" bumpstop extension

Do you have a BL? If not, you'll be hard pressed to get much lower than 2" bumpstop extensions w/ 33s, depending on backspacing & tire width. With 10.50 or 9.5" wide tires on stock-ish BS, you could probably get the tires to tuck inside the fenderwell a little easier than 12.50 wide.

I looked at most or all of those pics yesterday, one of the reasons I felt warm and fuzzy enough about the JKS to order it.
I do have a 1.25" body lift. and right now, still @ 32" tires. Shock length is the only thing keeping me at 2 1/2" bump stops. (I went and re-visited them) .I could stand to loose 1/2" or 3/4" of shock length and 1/2" of bump stop. That would leave me with enough fender clearance for 33's.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 08:04 AM

Looks like I can get the Lares "rock crawler" box for ~$160 shipped, without core return. $30 more than the (Atsco) Duralast.
It is listed to fit, but it's a 4 bolt box...

lynn 03-14-2013 08:15 AM

Give 'em a call to confirm fit. See if they can tell you more about the rock crawler box. I recall that it had upgraded internals.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 08:33 AM

I'd bet that it's merely the larger bore box.

Black Magic Brakes 03-14-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3502182)

Yes, it's very common to swap a 4 bolt into the TJ which only uses 3 of them. I also do it with the 03-06 ZF box by moving the forward hole in the frame slightly to let them bolt up directly.

Black Magic Brakes 03-14-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3502162)
Since a larger shank fits/ fills the track bar bushing sleave a little tighter, I'd guess a lot of folks think that will make the track bar nore secure. The reality is, though, that if the bolt is properly torqued, be it the stock bolt or otherwise, that bolt will never see shear. In this application, it's strictly in tension.

That is correct. Unfortunately the vast majority of folks can't quite wrap their heads around that concept and it seems totally unfathomable if you own anything with JK in the name.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 08:52 AM

So, would I be correct in assuming that this "rock crawler" unit from Lares would be pretty close to the equivalent of the Durango box? Both the larger bore I assume, but I don't know about ratios.

Imped 03-14-2013 08:58 AM

Just to clarify, Savvy doesn't make a track bar. That's a Currie bar. I run it on a very low setup and it works very nicely.

Patrick H 03-14-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3502403)
Just to clarify, Savvy doesn't make a track bar. That's a Currie bar. I run it on a very low setup and it works very nicely.

Yes, my mistake. I would have purchased it through Savvy. Does that count? :)