Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Whistling noise under hood?? Intermittent... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/whistling-noise-under-hood-intermittent-227495.html)

AegisCPO 03-13-2013 09:36 PM

Whistling noise under hood?? Intermittent...

Hello, let me try my best to describe this... 2013 JKUR 6700 miles. Purchased DEC 2012, to the best of my knowledge it was built SEP 2012.
Whistling sound coming from under the hood, happens at idle and goes away when driving. Sounds strongest on drivers side and center front area of the engine compartment. I am aware of water pump issues with the 2012's, but havent seen/read anything about the 2013's. Think that might be the cause?? The noise is intermittent and annoying as all get out. I do have video of it, but leary of posting to YOUTUBE, so not sure if I can post it here without using YOUTUBE.

Anyone else have this issue with their 2013's?? Also I have noticed a clicking sound which makes me think about the Pentastar head issue, but looks like I have an AC head (believe it to be 2228 stamped on metal plate), no CEL though for either issue. Short of taking it to the dealer I am looking for anyone else who is experiencing this. Thanks in advance for any ideas/solutions. :confused:

Rubiconpoor 03-13-2013 10:01 PM

Same issue here but every time I stop by the dealer, no noise. I think it might be a tensioner pulley.

AegisCPO 03-13-2013 10:12 PM

That's why I recorded one minute and 30 seconds of it, figured as soon as I go by the dealer, sure enough there would be no noise. At least I can show them the video and they can hear the sound and the serpentine in motion. Just not sure when I can get to the dealer...

Rubiconpoor 03-13-2013 10:15 PM

Please post what you find.

Thanks

AegisCPO 03-13-2013 10:19 PM

Will do, going to try to get to the dealership sometime next week if I can, I'll post when/if anything is figured out.

Soundy 03-13-2013 11:13 PM

Why not post the video and see if anyone here recognizes it? YouTube has the option to make a video accessible only to someone with the link, not publicly searchable.

Not specific to this vehicle, but a "whistling" noise is often a vacuum leak (as opposed to the "squealing" usually associated with a belt).

HRR1 03-14-2013 12:45 AM

I have a similar noise. I can only hear it at idle with the window open(or when you get out and leave the engine running) and the engine is warmed up. It will come and go and is not REAL loud, just annoyingly loud and you know it shouldn't be there. It is not a whistle and it is not a squealing sound either. Mine is a 2013 and the noise started around 2500 miles. I suspect the water pump. My temp indicator shows just a tiny little bit past top dead center.

Hansen 03-14-2013 08:43 AM

Not sure if this thread might help.
http://www.jk-forum.com/stock-jk-tec...sounds-264190/

Rabuck 03-14-2013 09:02 AM

I also get a high pitch whistling noise at idle on my 2012, not all the time but seems to be when my jeep is warm after longer rides... Idk subscribed

AegisCPO 03-14-2013 09:37 PM

Updated with video clip and the "Whistling" sound

Excuse the video... shot from my phone tried to capture as much as possible before it went away since it is intermittent, tried to pan most of the engine area, so hopefully it will shed some light and prompt ideas as to what this may be. Thanks.

Link to video:

2013 JKUR Whistle - YouTube

AegisCPO 03-14-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 3501026)
Why not post the video and see if anyone here recognizes it? YouTube has the option to make a video accessible only to someone with the link, not publicly searchable.

Not specific to this vehicle, but a "whistling" noise is often a vacuum leak (as opposed to the "squealing" usually associated with a belt).

Video posted, thanks for the heads up on the privacy option when posting... hopefully the video helps

Soundy 03-14-2013 09:50 PM

Wow, okay, that almost sounds like a bearing... maybe in an idler pulley? Although it could be the water pump as well. It seems to have that metallic sound to it, though...

Something you could try is to get a paper towel tube, hold it to your ear, and move around the engine bay with it - it will help isolate the source of the noise.

AegisCPO 03-16-2013 09:53 PM

**bump** Video posted with sound, 2013 JKUR Whistle - YouTube , any ideas?

HRR1 03-20-2013 02:11 PM

My sounds like a tea kettle when it first starts to boil the water.

HRR1 03-20-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3512721)
**bump** Video posted with sound, 2013 JKUR Whistle - YouTube , any ideas?

Yep, that sounds like mine only yours seems louder.

Jvarricchio4 03-20-2013 09:12 PM

I also have an intermittent chirp, squeel noise at idle after it has been running for a while. It dosnt change with rpm, and only happeneds every so often. My dealer says that its the water pump, but dosnt sound like a bearing to me but we will see. Water pumps are on national back order so I'm waiting for one to come in before I can get it done. I also made a movie of how mine sounds one day when it was really bad. As soon as I get home from work I will post the video.

geckojk1 03-20-2013 09:51 PM

some 2013's have the water pump issue as well

geckojk1 03-20-2013 09:53 PM

mine seems to be at idle cold and i'm positive that its the water pump

HRR1 03-22-2013 06:32 PM

There is a Tech ?? out on the water pump. Also as mentioned above water pumps are on backorder. The local dealer says they have shipment of 500(for all their dealerships)coming in mid April. It would seem the 3.6liter engine is going to need a lot of water pumps replaced. I'll take my Jeep back in in two weeks as I don't have time next week. The dealer has to check a bunch of things before they replace the pump.

AegisCPO 03-22-2013 09:48 PM

I have looked but was not successful in finding any TB's, if anyone has alink for it, please share. Thanks.

djmg1017 03-22-2013 10:38 PM

intermittant noise in belt area on 2013 jk ... dealer replaced idler pullies & belt --- no change .. replaced water pump ... fixed ---good thing i work at the dealer .....

52Tele 03-23-2013 09:28 PM

Likely a really tiny c Ask her for a date!hick under your hood whistling at you because she thinks yer HOT!

Brookekaylene 03-23-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3500592)
Hello, let me try my best to describe this... 2013 JKUR 6700 miles. Purchased DEC 2012, to the best of my knowledge it was built SEP 2012.
Whistling sound coming from under the hood, happens at idle and goes away when driving. Sounds strongest on drivers side and center front area of the engine compartment. I am aware of water pump issues with the 2012's, but havent seen/read anything about the 2013's. Think that might be the cause?? The noise is intermittent and annoying as all get out. I do have video of it, but leary of posting to YOUTUBE, so not sure if I can post it here without using YOUTUBE.

Anyone else have this issue with their 2013's?? Also I have noticed a clicking sound which makes me think about the Pentastar head issue, but looks like I have an AC head (believe it to be 2228 stamped on metal plate), no CEL though for either issue. Short of taking it to the dealer I am looking for anyone else who is experiencing this. Thanks in advance for any ideas/solutions. :confused:

I had a whistling whinning noise under mine and everyone thought it was the alternator but it was actually my belts slipping off minimal enough that it wasn't noticeable by the eyes until it snapped while I was driving.

Dingus 03-27-2013 02:37 PM

My 2013 JKU started the same thing this week. Took it to the dealer yesterday and was told that they need to order a new water pump. Huge back order. Could be weeks. They told me I would be Ok for now. They said it is a known issue.

suicideking 03-27-2013 03:31 PM

Sounds like the water pump.

I had the same issue on mine, it was the water pump.

Water Pump Noise - YouTube

Dingus 03-27-2013 05:47 PM

Yup! That's the bugger.

HRR1 04-08-2013 05:26 PM

bump

JulietKilo 04-09-2013 01:52 PM

I have a 2013 Rubicon 2-dr, purchased on Halloween. It started making noise around 3 or 4,000 miles, not sure. Took it to the dealer last week (also to fix the A/C - another story) and mentioned the squeeling sound. They said there is an issue with the water pumps on the 2013 models - has something to do with the new coolant Jeep started using in 2013s. The new water pump arrived today and I will be picking my jeep up this afternoon. Hopefully, all issues have been fixed.

HRR1 04-19-2013 12:28 PM

Dealer ordered a water pump today. It has to be shipped from LA so will probably be here(rural AZ) late next week. Service Manager said that they had already changed one on a Chrysler 300 and it sounded the same when it came in for service. No problem getting cooperation.

VansMudder 04-19-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietKilo (Post 3614557)
I have a 2013 Rubicon 2-dr, purchased on Halloween. It started making noise around 3 or 4,000 miles, not sure. Took it to the dealer last week (also to fix the A/C - another story) and mentioned the squeeling sound. They said there is an issue with the water pumps on the 2013 models - has something to do with the new coolant Jeep started using in 2013s. The new water pump arrived today and I will be picking my jeep up this afternoon. Hopefully, all issues have been fixed.

That's not just an issue on the 13 models, the 12's have been doing that as well. There are older threads here about that issue on the 2012 Wrangler and mine is a 12 and has the same sound that pops up from time to time when the engine is warm.

I'll get around to having it looked at some point, but I've already had the jeep in for tons of warranty work and I'm sick of looking at the dealership and I haven't even had my head replaced yet!...lol...13,500kms and no head issues so far.