Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Better deal? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/better-deal-227720.html)

Jeeping it real 03-14-2013 07:54 PM

Better deal?

Hey guys looking at buying a TJ, and wondering which of these seem to be a better buy:

2005 Jeep Wrangler X
Rocky Mountain edition. (Dana 44 rear)?
I6, 6spd m, soft top, 94k miles, looks in good shape, NO MODS, $11,950.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I6, 6spd m, 79k miles, hard top, NO MODS, only seen pics online of this one, but looks nice. $16,950.

I understand without checking them both out more closely for leaks, rust, etc. it may be a little hard to tell. But lets just assume all is well. Based on the info given, what do you all think? I live in central Iowa also, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

jp2611 03-14-2013 08:09 PM

Tough to say...and here is the "WHY"....are you gonna MOD it or just DD it? Some off road..or eventually extreme trail rig? If you are not gonna off road and just looking for a DD and MAYBE concerned about snow, or Mud/ going fishing etc, the X would be the way to go IMO.

If you want a very GOOD trail RIg that you are not planning to MODIFY than get the Rubi it will do some better than the x would......but if you think you are gonna be doing some Mods we are back to the x because once you start Mods....you will PROBABLY end up replacing the locking axles...and the only other advantage the Rubi has is the T-case...and not sure that is worth the extra cost if you are going to Mod.

also Pics would help

Jeeping it real 03-14-2013 08:30 PM

It will be modded eventually. Nothing too extreme as far as off roading. This will be my first jeep. I currently own an '06 f150 running a 6" lift with 35" mudders. I'd probably look for a 4" lift and 33's. I like to pull off the highway once in awhile and find mud pits, but I have no intentions of climbing 10' tall boulders. My only worry is that when I make this purchase, I'll get "the fever", and then sky is the limit for mods. I like the set up that Rubicons run, but with what I plan on doing, I'm really leaning towards the X with the Rocky Mountain package. I'll see if I can post the links to both.

Jeeping it real 03-14-2013 08:32 PM

2005 Jeep Wrangler

2005 JEEP WRANGLER "SALE PRICED"@

Jeeping it real 03-15-2013 05:37 AM

Bump

aikmanson 03-15-2013 08:17 AM

I am biased, but I would buy the rubicon. You start with a jeep that is more capable off road, with better gearing, transfer case, locking diffs and stronger axles already. You could easily throw on the 4" lift and 33's and run the jeep as is.

The X with a 4" lift and 33s will probably need to be re geared, and if it doesn't have a d44, possible a stronger rear axle as well.

In the end it is up to you, I notice the X shows a soft top and the rubi a hard, does that matter to you? Also in the pics, the X looks cleaner, could just be the shitty pictures in the rubi ad but I would go look at it in person and compare the condition.

Oh yeah, check rust, least amount of rust wins this battle.

MountainMan96 03-15-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeping it real (Post 3504848)

I would go with the X if i were you

Jeeping it real 03-15-2013 08:31 AM

Thanks guys. Like I said, this will be my first jeep, so any expertise/experience is appreciated.

What's got me leaning more toward the X is the fact that it should have the d44 rear because it is the rocky mtn ed. I couldn't find the gear ratio for it though. Did all D44 come with 3.73? LS? The top doesn't matter, spring/summer will be upon us soon enough, so I wouldn't use it anyway. I'd really like to find a hard top by next winter though. And like I said, I don't plan on doing any really hardcore wheeling, so I don't think a full locker is an issue as of now. But I would really like it to have limited slip.

aikmanson 03-15-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeping it real (Post 3506641)
Thanks guys. Like I said, this will be my first jeep, so any expertise/experience is appreciated.

What's got me leaning more toward the X is the fact that it should have the d44 rear because it is the rocky mtn ed. I couldn't find the gear ratio for it though. Did all D44 come with 3.73? LS? The top doesn't matter, spring/summer will be upon us soon enough, so I wouldn't use it anyway. I'd really like to find a hard top by next winter though. And like I said, I don't plan on doing any really hardcore wheeling, so I don't think a full locker is an issue as of now. But I would really like it to have limited slip.

Well, not sure if all D44's came with LSD. I know a rubi has LSD. In the 2 months I have owned my rubi, I have gone offroad probably ~5-6 times. I have used my lockers once, to test them. So I hear you on wondering if you will need them off-roading.

Do what feels right to you, the price difference is large enough that you would have good $$$$ left over to mod the X.

Either way, welcome to the addiction.

kyle32 03-15-2013 11:07 AM

i would go Rubicon.. better axel so one less mod u need to pay for.. and 15k less miles just me tho

ospreyfe55 03-15-2013 11:13 AM

I will throw my input and new learned experience with wranglers in. I just traded my 06 LJ for an 05 LJ Rubi. My 06 was my first wrangler and I learned a lot. I to use my jeep as my DD however I do take the kids out at least one weekend a month. Going from a LJ to LJ rubi was night and day! Just the gearing alone was impressive, not to mention that 4:1 transfer case ratio is spot on! Just to make my 06 close to a Rubi I was looking at $3400 in oem axles and if you can find a np241 TC it would be 1k-$1500, still need to do all the work,regear and find the locker pumps. I work with a guy that regeared his JK with a locker cost him alittle over $1200, plus he did the work himself. You have to remember if this is your dd then a mild lift and a rubi would set your basic offroad needs, but if this is your weekend toy then just buy a wrecked jeep from Daveys and go crazy with it! I also chose my Rubi over the fact that I wanted a 4x4 not a jeep with 4 wheels and only have 2 work when I am Offroad! The hard top alone with set you back $800-$1k and you get 15k less miles! This should be easy. Plus with it being an 05 you will have to look into the OPDA issues and with 15k less miles it might be in better shape. And one final thought Rubicon has a better resale value!