Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   St Pete bumper/Oversize tire carrier install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/st-pete-bumper-oversize-tire-carrier-install-228260.html)

Pulpfishin 03-17-2013 12:22 PM

St Pete bumper/Oversize tire carrier install

Looking for a recommendation for someone in st Pete area who does sales and or installs of oversize tire carriers. Thanks in advance.

tabber02 03-17-2013 05:56 PM

what are you looking to install? on what model TJ or JK? you could save a ton of money and do it yourself. or link up with some local jeepers, make some friends - learn something about your rig and so on....

Pulpfishin 03-18-2013 06:37 AM

I'm not sure what product I want to get yet and am looking for some recommendations on that also. I'm trying to put together and oversized spare carrier and or rear bumper/carrier combo. I'm thinking an install of either of those would be better handled by a professional. I wouldn't want to ride behind the Jeep that I installed the rear bumper on.

tabber02 03-18-2013 09:08 AM

you'll need to provide some details in order to get some recommendations. :whistling: what kind of jeep do you have? (TJ or JK)? are you looking to carry a 35" or 37" tire? do you want to mount it off the bumper or are you looking for something like the heavy duty hinge upgrade through TeraFlex?

Pulpfishin 03-18-2013 09:39 AM

My Jeep is a 2011 JK with 37's. I've looked at the Teraflex mount and have been leaning towards that but I'd like it to also have a way to mount my Hi-Jack without it being too visible and unless I'm missing it that isn't really an option on the Teraflex.

tabber02 03-18-2013 10:45 AM

ah gotcha. any particular reason you don't want the hi-lift visible? theft, or want more visibility out of the back window?

i have the TF carrier and hinge, with the hi-lift mount myself. honestly the mount doesn't obstruct my view at all. the hi-lift is a bit further into the blind spot if that makes sense... if you're looking for a way to "lay the hi-lift behind the tire, i can understand that... shrockworks has a real nice set up... poison spyder too.

Pulpfishin 03-18-2013 10:57 AM

I haven't seen any in person but from the pictures I've looked at I just wasn't a fan of the jack sitting vertically outside the tire. I liked the looks of the ones that had the jack horizontal behind the tire better. I'll check out the two brands you mentioned. Thanks!

tabber02 03-18-2013 11:09 AM

no problem. glad to help out. you're local right (tampa area)? there are a couple folks running the poison spyder set up around tampa bay... mostly guys with JKUs... if you go to some meet and greets you'll probably see them.

and as i said i've got the TF set up. always nice to see some of this stuff in person before you pull the trigger, a bumper and tire carrier is a hefty investment! :whistling:

Pulpfishin 03-18-2013 11:25 AM

Any idea on when and where next get together might be? I'm in Pinellas but would be willing to travel.

tabber02 03-18-2013 11:39 AM

at the moment no. suncoast flatlanders (more members in Pinellas) just had one, and a new club (not sure what they're going to call themselves) (mostly hillsborough) did as well. but both clubs (i actively participate in) have monthly meetings...

i throw something up when i hear. :thumb:

Pulpfishin 03-18-2013 11:41 AM

Excellent, thanks.