Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rokmen Gas Tank Skid Installed... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rokmen-gas-tank-skid-installed-228306.html)

Boobooo 03-17-2013 03:47 PM

Rokmen Gas Tank Skid Installed...

5 Attachment(s)
Installed my Rokmen Gas Tank Skid on my 04 TJ…
Took a bit longer than the Rokmen video as I ran into a couple of issues…

When removing all the connectors, I snapped one of the clips when I tried to remove it completely… little did I know, the clips don’t need to be removed completely (and probably should be avoided until the connection is completely off...) Headed on over to the dealership which luckily is only about 5 miles away and headed to the parts dept expecting to have to pay for an entire hose in order to get the clip…. The guy behind the counter headed into the back, came out and handed me a new clip… no charge…
Coolest dealership I've ever experienced…
Another slight snag I ran into was the plastic ‘spacers’ on the straps that connect the gas tank to the skid (see pictures). In order to get the straps into the gas tank skid, I had to clip the grommets off of them first, then slide the straps into the Rokmen skid… Then used some flat head bolts to get them reattached… I took advantage of this and was able to flip the straps around to get the sharp metal edges away from the tanks…
Last little issue I had was lining up the skid plate up with the bolts… after getting the rear bolts in, I had to use a ratchet strap to pull the skid to the back of the vehicle about 1/8 inch to be able to get the bolt back in… I’m sure it woulda been easier with more than one person doing it…

One more note for those replacing their gas skids – if you remove the filler hose from the tank – make a mark as to where the hose lines up to the tank… this will allow you to re-install it at the same spot and make reattaching the filler plug much easier to do… (I didn't and came close to having to drop the tank again…)…

All in all, love the new skid plate – beefier than the stock tank is an understatement. I had mine powder-coated so should last a long long time…

Multiple pics below for those interested…
You can tell the difference in height by checking out the first and last pics –
Stock height is about 1 to 1 ½ inches below the muffler…
Rokmen skid is almost flush with the muffler…

Boobooo 03-17-2013 03:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

Boobooo 03-17-2013 03:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
last batch of pics

Milkman 03-17-2013 03:54 PM

Looks great, now list that old stock skid on the for sale section for all us poor NE guys and gals that have an older TJ with the skimpy rusted out pans.

I just installed a pan off of an 03 on my 99 and it was a huge upgrade, I can't imagine how much better the Rokmen is being super heavy duty.

2JeepsThatRun 03-17-2013 07:01 PM

I just put mine on last week and took it wheeling. The tank is extremely strong I came off of a 1.5 or 2 foot drop and the corner landed right on a rock and the rock basically exploded.