Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Old Warn Winch Issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/old-warn-winch-issues-228314.html)

calebjmcgowan 03-17-2013 05:10 PM

Old Warn Winch Issues

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I have an old warn winch that came with an '01 TJ I recently purchased. When I went to test it out, I plugged in the controller and I only heard a small click - nothing else. The connection to the car battery seems okay, so what could be the problem? One of the prongs on the controller seems out of alignment (see picture) could that be it?

Also, is it worth getting this fixed, or finding a newer winch to replace it with?

Attachment 223961

Attachment 223962

Attachment 223963

Attachment 223964

Jerry Bransford 03-17-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably either a bad solenoid inside the winch or perhaps a loose connection at one of the solenoids. That 5-pin remote control connector makes me think that winch isn't as old as it looks... like the PO maybe painted it that wierd color.

It probably looks like this under the cover. You can see I had my solenoid cable connectors off while replacing one of its four solenoids years ago.

In case it is a bad solenoid, here's a good source for them... DB Electrical - Winch-Golf Cart

Warn Industries 03-22-2013 01:23 PM

I think Jerry's right—probably a bad solenoid. If you need help troubleshooting it, feel free to call our Customer Service team at 800-543-9276.

Looks like that's an XD9000 that was painted, by the way.

- Andy

calebjmcgowan 03-22-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warn Industries (Post 3538650)
I think Jerry's right—probably a bad solenoid. If you need help troubleshooting it, feel free to call our Customer Service team at 800-543-9276.

Looks like that's an XD9000 that was painted, by the way.

- Andy

Pretty sweet color - not! I guess it is unique... Thanks so much! I think I might call sometime.

calebjmcgowan 03-22-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3515727)
Probably either a bad solenoid inside the winch or perhaps a loose connection at one of the solenoids. That 5-pin remote control connector makes me think that winch isn't as old as it looks... like the PO maybe painted it that wierd color.

It probably looks like this under the cover. You can see I had my solenoid cable connectors off while replacing one of its four solenoids years ago.

In case it is a bad solenoid, here's a good source for them... DB Electrical - Winch-Golf Cart

How hard is it to install a solenoid, or is it easier to have it professionally done? What do you think he install would cost?

geiman 03-22-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calebjmcgowan (Post 3539899)
How hard is it to install a solenoid, or is it easier to have it professionally done? What do you think he install would cost?

I think talking with the people from Warn like suggested above would be a good start. If a solenoid needs replaced, it shouldn't take much more than a screwdriver and/or wrench and a few minutes.