Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Another soft top question.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/another-soft-top-question-22834.html)

bubbadiddit 11-03-2008 11:37 PM

Another soft top question....

I was fortunate enough to have both factory tops on my old TJ. The one I just bought had a soft top originally but some idiot traded his factory hard top for it (great for me). So, before spring, I need to buy another soft top with all hardware. Is the Bestop just as good as the factory or would I be better served getting a used factory top and hardware? Thanks.

ExDementia 11-04-2008 12:05 AM

if the factory top is in good shape then i see no reason to spend $400 on a new one, you will be pretty much getting the same thing, since they are considered oem replacement. (sunrider tops not included)

but if you have your heart set on a new one, i'd be happy to take the old one off your hands. (if its in good shape)

Jerry Bransford 11-04-2008 10:23 AM

Bestop makes the OE top so yes, it would be great quality. However, by contract with Jeep, Bestop cannot also sell the OE hardware used to support it. You can get it at the dealer but it'd be uber-expensive so I'd just go for a complete used OE top complete with all the parts and mechanism. NONE of the aftermarket top supports/mechanisms compare with the OE design. And the complete tops with supports/mechanism sold by Bestop new are not the same, they don't work nearly as well as the OE version they manufacture for Jeep. Too bad they can't sell the OE support/mechanism in the retail marketplace but Jeep won't let them.

SaharaTJ 11-04-2008 10:37 AM

correct me if I'm wrong, but i think he only has a hardtop now and the guy from whom he bought the jeep from traded his original softop for a hardtop?

so he's looking for a softop...
check craigslist ;)

Jerry Bransford 11-04-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaharaTJ (Post 279161)
correct me if I'm wrong, but i think he only has a hardtop now and the guy from whom he bought the jeep from traded his original softop for a hardtop?

so he's looking for a softop...

Was there something we said that implied we were talking about something besides a soft top? :confused:

tarheel 11-04-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 279164)
Was there something we said that implied we were talking about something besides a soft top? :confused:

I think that was intended for exdementia's offer to take the old one;)

Also, I have the supertop and do like it. Knowing what I know about the mechanism now, I would look for an old mechanism on craiglist,etc and buy a RAT by bestop. The aftermarket mech works well but you have to hook the front on like a bikini top. Once the top is used for a while it hooks easier, but the original looks easier to use all the way around.

SaharaTJ 11-04-2008 08:54 PM

yeah it was in response to the offer, sorry for not being specific ;)