Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2005 TJ Rocky Mtn. Ed. Transmission Conversion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2005-tj-rocky-mtn-ed-transmission-conversion-228486.html)

Ridin Dirty 03-18-2013 08:23 AM

2005 TJ Rocky Mtn. Ed. Transmission Conversion

I was wondering what it would take to pull an automatic transmission out of a 2005 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition and install a manual instead.

I've been asking around and the general consensus is that it would be cheaper just to trade up for a manual. I certainly don't know everything about Jeeps but that seemed improbable. I figured I'd ask around this forum and see if anyone knew.

I have an interest in keeping it because, one, It's a 2005 and I've been away a lot since I purchased it, so it only has just about 80,000 miles on it. Two, it's paid off. Three, I've rerouted the power to the fogs from the faulty stem switch to a toggle on the dash and I don't know how that will affect the resale. I also don't want to pay to fix it, just so I can resell it. Four, it's a RME, and forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they're a bit more rare.

I can't do pics or retrieve info from it because I'm away from it now but I'll answer any questions I can as quickly and accurately as possible.

Thanks!!!

kyle32 03-18-2013 10:41 AM

i donno much about micanincal stuff but it sound like more truble then its worth

as far as your REM they maid it for 2 years.. i have know clue how many they maid.. but the only big difference is upgraded axles.. witch most if not all wrangler special editions have and most people on the forum have probable upgraded to if they didn't already have.. the rest is mostly just decals

i do think your best bet is selling and buying a stick

i my self like auto better tho

WranglerWarrior 03-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty (Post 3518244)
I was wondering what it would take to pull an automatic transmission out of a 2005 TJ Rocky Mountain Edition and install a manual instead.

I've been asking around and the general consensus is that it would be cheaper just to trade up for a manual. I certainly don't know everything about Jeeps but that seemed improbable. I figured I'd ask around this forum and see if anyone knew.

I have an interest in keeping it because, one, It's a 2005 and I've been away a lot since I purchased it, so it only has just about 80,000 miles on it. Two, it's paid off. Three, I've rerouted the power to the fogs from the faulty stem switch to a toggle on the dash and I don't know how that will affect the resale. I also don't want to pay to fix it, just so I can resell it. Four, it's a RME, and forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they're a bit more rare.

I can't do pics or retrieve info from it because I'm away from it now but I'll answer any questions I can as quickly and accurately as possible.

Thanks!!!

I have an 05 RME and yes they only made them 2 years so they are a little more rare than others. It has a dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gearing because it came stock on 31s. I personally would do the swap if you love it that much money isn't the issue just a convenience factor.

*note that the RME came with the 4.0 and a 6 speed NSG370 MT or the auto like you have. Whatever you decide let us know what your swap calls for my tranny is about shot and was considering going the other way or at the very least get a new 370.

If you ever get around to it post up some pics I know you are away often but if you think about it

WranglerWarrior 03-18-2013 12:56 PM

These are some of the unique to RME I found

Rocky Mountain Edition - 2003-2005
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Dana 44 rear axle geared 3.73
* 31" Goodyear GS/A Tires
* Ravine wheels used on 2005 models(like ours)
* Unique graphite fender flares
* Fog lamps
* Rocky Mountain Edition badging
* Dark Slate Interior
* Unique two-tone seats with Jeep embroidery
* Silver painted instrument panel accents
* Available in Black, Bright Silver, Flame Red, Solar Yellow and Patriot Blue(mine)
* Diamond plate rocker guards (similar to Rubicon model)

Ridin Dirty 03-19-2013 10:12 PM

I'll let you know. I'm usually in Texas but I'm in Iraq right now, so I'm thinking a little bit longer term. I always figured if I swapped the tranny it would be just like you said, more of a convenience/labor situation than expense of parts. I appreciate all the input!

Ridin Dirty 03-19-2013 10:16 PM

Yeah, but for me it's not just as simple as a vehicle trade-in issue. It's paid off and has low mileage too. If I could find someone with a TJ that has low mileage and would be willing to trade straight up then that would be different. I think my best bet would be a swap like Warrior was talking about.