Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV Pintler wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-pintler-wheels-228526.html)

Salticon 03-18-2013 12:02 PM

AEV Pintler wheels

2 Attachment(s)
I've got a buyer for my 20" chrome XD's on 35's. i have a white JkU ragtop,

I'm looking at the silver AEV Pintler w/ and w/o beadlocks

Looking for opinions on the wheels and whether I should do the beadlocks. It's my DD, but we wheel trails alot on the weekends. Pictures of white JK's w/ this wheels would be appreciated. Thanks

This is my current wheel/tire combo

ilikeguns 03-18-2013 12:07 PM

Congrats on getting rid of those 20s!

I wish i had gone for the beadlocks although it's personal preference. I probably don't air down enough to the point where I worry about popping a bead, but would be nice to have that flexibility

Blkfenderslookbetter 03-18-2013 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not silver... but you get the idea....

Salticon 03-18-2013 12:28 PM

Thanks! Yes I wanna be able to air down and I like the fact that I can mount a new tire on the rim on the trail if needed to be done, are those the Argent color?

kurtz265 03-18-2013 12:39 PM

We run at 12-15 PSI all the time, which is plenty for sand and or rocks and I've never seen anyone pop a bead with the Pintlers w/o beadlocks. I also like the look of the non-beadlocks a bit better, but that is personal preference.

Salticon 03-18-2013 03:18 PM

I like the beadlocks also for the the protection to the wheel, I'd rather knarled them up then the wheel itself

Salticon 03-18-2013 03:33 PM

Also, is does AEV have a good finish on their wheels?

Matador 03-18-2013 03:52 PM

If your looking at beadlocks for rim protection why don't you check out the Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheel. In stock form it looks like this

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Turn...83?$s7product$

They then offer protection ring for $28/each that look like this

http://p8.hostingprod.com/@allthings...-jk-wheels.jpg

Just screw them onto the wheel and you get this

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main....serialNumber=2

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main....serialNumber=2

The great part about the rings is that they offer great protection, you can beat them to hell on the trail and then either repaint them or flip them over and get a totally clean side. Or, you can just buy replacements. This is a great alternative to beadlock wheels if your primary concern is protection. Also, like the AEV wheels, these Rugged Ridge wheels are designed specifically for the JK. So, they are hubcentric also but run more of an offset than AEV which gives you more options for suspensions down the road.

Just giving you another option. The AEV wheel is an awesome wheel also and you would do great with either one.

Blkfenderslookbetter 03-18-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salticon (Post 3519516)

Mine are Argent. The finish is top notch.

You can't go wrong with these wheels, beadlock or not.

I like the Rugged Ridge wheels too, but my personal preference was the Argent Pintler. :thumb:

Salticon 03-19-2013 09:57 AM

I've decided to get the AEV silver w/beadlocks, I like the Rugged Ridge and I appreciate you showing me a option. I still like the simple pattern and functionality of the AEV's. I'm a Mopar tech and I can appreciate the fact I can change tires out with ease when I'm bugging out without a machine. I'll post pics when I Install them.

Matador 03-19-2013 11:09 AM

Sounds good, I would love to see pics of the install also.

ilikeguns 03-19-2013 12:29 PM

my only complaint about the AEVs is that they are not made in the USA. I thought all AEV products were, but it looks like the wheels are not.

Blkfenderslookbetter 03-19-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeguns (Post 3523856)
my only complaint about the AEVs is that they are not made in the USA. I thought all AEV products were, but it looks like the wheels are not.

Just about the only wheels made in USA are OEM. ... the ones you will find are very expensive, probably custom.

With aftermarket wheels it's just about impossible to find made is USA.

AEV and Rugged Ridge are the only aftermarket wheels that I'm aware of that are hubcentric. That's reason enough to have AEV wheels on your short list.

goodstrongbeer 03-19-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkfenderslookbetter (Post 3524022)

Just about the only wheels made in USA are OEM. ... the ones you will find are very expensive, probably custom.

With aftermarket wheels it's just about impossible to find made is USA.

AEV and Rugged Ridge are the only aftermarket wheels that I'm aware of that are hubcentric. That's reason enough to have AEV wheels on your short list.

I'm pretty sure the OEM wheels are made in China.

Blkfenderslookbetter 03-19-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodstrongbeer (Post 3524044)
I'm pretty sure the OEM wheels are made in China.

You may be correct... I don't know. I'm saying in general, most wheels that are made in the USA are made for OEM's. All the rest (aftermarket) are made elsewhere.

Salticon 03-19-2013 05:42 PM

Ordered them this morning, I may have them by Tuesday, guess I'll be rolling a lifted jeep in on OEM steels....lol for the weekend

xjrguy 03-19-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkfenderslookbetter (Post 3524843)
You may be correct... I don't know. I'm saying in general, most wheels that are made in the USA are made for OEM's. All the rest (aftermarket) are made elsewhere.

Not entirely accurate.

My stock 2012 rubi wheels from Jeep were made in China.

Haven't checked where my 2012 Overland Summit wheels were made but wouldn't surprise me if it's China

My 2010 GT500 wheels were made in China

The 6 spoke OEM Dodge wheels I had on my Viper were made in China.

The Ford Raptor I had the wheels were made in China.

I think the only cars I can remember that didn't have OEM chinese wheels were my Volvo C70 with BBS wheels and my Jaguar XJR that I put optional Jaguar "Milan" two piece BBS wheels on.

That's been my experience with recent rides.

Blkfenderslookbetter 03-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 3525195)
Not entirely accurate.

My stock 2012 rubi wheels from Jeep were made in China.

Haven't checked where my 2012 Overland Summit wheels were made but wouldn't surprise me if it's China

My 2010 GT500 wheels were made in China

The 6 spoke OEM Dodge wheels I had on my Viper were made in China.

The Ford Raptor I had the wheels were made in China.

I think the only cars I can remember that didn't have OEM chinese wheels were my Volvo C70 with BBS wheels and my Jaguar XJR that I put optional Jaguar "Milan" two piece BBS wheels on.

That's been my experience with recent rides.

I'm not arguing that all OEM wheels are made in the USA... to your point alot are made in China. What I am saying is that any wheels made in the USA are usually made for OEM applications.

xjrguy 03-20-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkfenderslookbetter (Post 3528820)
I'm not arguing that all OEM wheels are made in the USA... to your point alot are made in China. What I am saying is that any wheels made in the USA are usually made for OEM applications.

No worries...it's all good.

:)

Salticon 03-26-2013 05:57 PM

Wheels will be here tomorrow! I'm alittle excited!!

parker65 03-26-2013 06:21 PM

You'll like them. I have a set of 5 with Cepek FC-II's mounted sitting here waiting on my 10th anniversary Rubi.

JTPhoto JK 03-26-2013 06:32 PM

I thought pintlers had too much Backspace to run 35s. On their website it says they have 5.2" BS.

JerryJeepster 03-26-2013 07:03 PM

Pintlers are backspaced specifically for the JK. Mine are perfect and look great. The only way to go beadlock, is true beadlocks not look a likes. IMO...I also love that I can clean the inside of the rims with ease!!

Damooch 03-26-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK
I thought pintlers had too much Backspace to run 35s. On their website it says they have 5.2" BS.

They do have the back spacing issue. I run pintlers with 35" duratracs and the rub the control arms. Easy fix with either wheel spacers or put washers on the steering stops. It will stop the steering wheel before it fully turns. The look of 35'sw with the pintlers really works for me. Didn't get the bead locks tho. Don't do enough wheeling.

Salticon 03-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryJeepster (Post 3556095)
Pintlers are backspaced specifically for the JK. Mine are perfect and look great. The only way to go beadlock, is true beadlocks not look a likes. IMO...I also love that I can clean the inside of the rims with ease!!

Hey Jerry, could you post some pics of your rig? Mine is white too thx

xjrguy 03-26-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salticon (Post 3519516)

I have the black Pintlers on my Jeep.

The finish absolutely sucks.

Easy to scratch and tissue paper thin paint job.

I rubbed paint off just by putting my lug nuts on (and I used a thin wall socket)

Going to have to get them powdercoated or something else for longevity.

kurtz265 03-26-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 3556352)
I have the black Pintlers on my Jeep.

The finish absolutely sucks.

Easy to scratch and tissue paper thin paint job.

I rubbed paint off just by putting my lug nuts on (and I used a thin wall socket)

Going to have to get them powdercoated or something else for longevity.

Mine are good to go, and i've ABUSED mine. Finish is just fine for me :thumb:

JTPhoto JK 03-26-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but not for 35" tires. Don't get me wrong, I love these wheels in black but not gonna pay that much for a wheel that I have to use spacers with. I rather not reduce the turning radius by adjusting steering stops but it is an option. Maybe the next rig I'll stay with 33s.
I was hoping they would come out with them in 4.5" BS.

Salticon 03-26-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Do you have 35's?

kurtz265 03-26-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salticon (Post 3556393)
Do you have 35's?

Im running 35s on mine, and had very slight rubbing on my lower control arms (im lifted). The issue was very easily fixed with a couple of washers on the steering stops. 10 minutes total.