Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New Kicker Speakers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-kicker-speakers-228559.html)

Getyourwings383 03-18-2013 01:13 PM

New Kicker Speakers

So I just replaced my front and rear speakers with kickers this week and I LOVE the sound I am getting from them so I figured id just throw in my $0.02. The rear speakers were easy enough to install but after looking at the front dash I decided to take it to a local shop (Sound Decesion in Roanoke, VA if anyone is interested, great work) to get them to deal with it. There is a drastic difference between the new speakers and the old stock ones. I can get a loud crisp sound or deep bass with these speakers without an amp or sub after messing with the stock head unit's audio settings just a little. I am putting a 10" kicker sub and 250 watt mono amp in tomorrow and will give another update after that but for now I'll have to agree with a lot of guys on here that the kicker upgrade for the JK's sound system is on point! :punk:

panthermark 03-18-2013 01:16 PM

Glad you like them.

The front speakers look a lot harder than they really are. The key...remove the entire pod first..it makes removing the speakers cake.

I was not all that impressed, but I had the factory Alpine speakers. I actually loss volume and bass (probably due to them being 4 ohms instead of 2 ohms), but I was very happy to get more tweeters. However ,the speakers have broken in a bit...so I've gotten some bass back.

From what I've read, if you have the base system, the Kickers are a huge improvement.

Getyourwings383 03-18-2013 01:26 PM

Absolutely, going from the base to this is a huge improvement over the factory setup.

Getyourwings383 03-20-2013 01:03 PM

Update: Appointment for the amp and sub kept getting pushed back (missing parts...:facepalm:). On the bright side they aren't charging me for a them :thumb: the amp and sub should be put it tomorrow for sure.

After talking to them I decided to also go ahead and put in a new Clarion VX401 head unit since he was going to cut me a deal because they had to keep pushing back my appointment. I was going to do it any way so figured might as well do it now!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some pictures to show off my new system!

Getyourwings383 03-26-2013 11:56 AM

So, after a lot of headache I got the amp and sub installed and everything is now working no problem. The Clarion VX401 head unit is horrible, I told them to take it out, put the stock one back in, and give me a refund (which they did). I wouldn't recommend that thing to anyone but everything else is perfect!

If anyone else decides to wire this setup to the stock head unit just be sure to turn the gain on the amp way down other wise the bass complete over shadows any of the highs or mids. But after some mild tweaking it sounds perfect.

FudderMucker 03-26-2013 12:42 PM

I had tried infinity reference first, which sounded like garbage. I then switched to Polk DB651 slim mount and they sounded worlds better.

I was getting a weird rattle sound coming from the speaker box so I filled them with polyfill and drilled a hole or two to help them vent (don't ask me for a technical reason why I drilled the holes... I had a few drinks in me)

It made it sound quite a bit better and cut down on vibrations.

warbird24 04-05-2013 05:31 AM

Thanks for this post.

I just bought on-line 4 of the Kicker speakers and will install them ASAP after they get here. I've tried everything from balance to fade and I just can't get this stock setup to sound well at all. I am spoiled because my other vehicle has such a well balanced system in it that sounds nearly perfect for my ears.

I am going to do the speakers FIRST and see what happens. I MAY upgrade the head unit, but I don't want a lot of extra wiring, amps, or subs in this rig due to the open top and off-road use that it will have.

One quick question? Why Polyfill in any of the speaker enclosures? I guess I can understand the sound bar to help baffle the sound from the left and right speakers but the fronts also?

lolpetewtf 04-05-2013 06:11 AM

Yes do the front boxes too. Upgrade the head unit since it is so pitiful. I did mine in steps too with the same Kicker speakers. Big difference with my Clarion cx501. Then I added an Alpine amp now it just gets stupid loud.

Getyourwings383 04-05-2013 09:56 AM

Yeah, my kicker sub fits perfectly in the back and I'm going to throw an instatrunk on the back for a little protection. I dont live in a high crime area but rather be safe than sorry.

My setup was also super loud at first but I turned the gain waaaay down on the amp and turned down the bass from the hu and now it sounds about perfect.

l2abbit 04-05-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FudderMucker (Post 3555014)
(don't ask me for a technical reason why I drilled the holes... I had a few drinks in me)

I like your style! Lol

warbird24 04-07-2013 07:24 AM

Due to a shipping error I only received 2 speakers yesterday. I was NOT happy. Called the vendor and told them their mistake, but the speakers won't be here till Tuesday at the soonest.

This morning I installed the two speakers in the sound bar because they were the quickest to install. I have NO POLYFILL in the bar at this time. I fired the stock stereo up (Base Radio in a Sport S) and dialed it all in towards the rear so I could hear those great speakers. Sounded like total crap and almost no difference than the stock speakers.

I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake going for these speakers. I will wait in total judgement when I get the front two installed later this week.

Anyone else have problems with these? It's probably the head unit me thinks....

bigkevj 04-07-2013 09:39 AM

I did it backwards and started with replacing the head unit, so I cant help out much. But the factory head units suck big time. I now have replaced the head unit and 3 speakers (2 in soundbar and passenger side dash). I have not gotten to the driver side dash yet, but plan to soon. Then comes an amp and a new sub....just trying to figure out how to do the sub in the back but be able to keep the storage as well.

Salticon 04-07-2013 09:52 AM

Alittle dynomat goes along way in the sound at and front speaker pods, also speakers only soy d as good as their source

Billet13 04-07-2013 12:37 PM

Just completed changing over to the Kicker speakers (standard HU). Made sure to polyfil fore and aft. The improvement is definitely amazing. As posted previously, it's not an audiofile system by any stretch but definitely a solid improvement.
The rears were easy, the passenger front also. The drivers was a little harder, owing not to being able to remove the entire speaker box from behind the dash. But nothing broke and no parts were left over when complete.
Here's a thread I used to help get me through it... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/201...asy-92376.html

:thumb:

Getyourwings383 04-07-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbird24 (Post 3604954)
Due to a shipping error I only received 2 speakers yesterday. I was NOT happy. Called the vendor and told them their mistake, but the speakers won't be here till Tuesday at the soonest.

This morning I installed the two speakers in the sound bar because they were the quickest to install. I have NO POLYFILL in the bar at this time. I fired the stock stereo up (Base Radio in a Sport S) and dialed it all in towards the rear so I could hear those great speakers. Sounded like total crap and almost no difference than the stock speakers.

I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake going for these speakers. I will wait in total judgement when I get the front two installed later this week.

I only noticed a mild difference after upgrading just the rear but after I added the front two and a sub so I could get better low end I'm completely satisfied. Just the speaker swap though I just noticed a better clarity with the sound quality. To get the lows I wanted I added the sub and I can't complain at all. I would agree with most of the guys on here that the head unit isn't all that great but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Getyourwings383 04-07-2013 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the sub I have in the back just for reference. The amp is bolted to the back of the sub enclosure to save space.

Attachment 232947

RonS 04-08-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbird24 (Post 3604954)

Same story, different speakers. They appear to have a crossover circuit installed or built in for the rear channel. There is no bass or even mid-bass sent to the speakers in the sound bar. From they way they sound nothing below 1000 or 1500 Hz is sent to the rear which means that no music is sent to the rear speakers. I didn't find this out until I took the time to install insulation and upgraded the speakers. If anyone knows or finds out how to disable this crossover please PM me. As it stands, upgrading the rear speakers is a waste of money. One might as well hang potted plants from the empty holes for all the good it does to have speakers installed. At least the plants would be pretty to look at. Yes, Iím not very happy about it.