Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Heater core ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/heater-core-228614.html)

mrbat23 03-18-2013 04:34 PM

Heater core ?
 
I am starting to smell radiator fluid on the inside of my jeep. ( 2002 4.0 with air) I cannot see any visible leaks on the floors , is there something else i should check before i go after the heater core?.

Patrick H 03-18-2013 04:36 PM

Check the HVAC/ evaporator drain tube. It's in the engine compartment, on the firewall, below the battery. It's a 90 degree rubber tube sticking out. That's where the majority of the external leakage was on mine. It'll drip down onto the frame rail just in front of the control arm bracket.

Patrick H 03-18-2013 04:37 PM

If you're smelling coolant inside the Jeep, it almost has to be a leaking heater core.

mrbat23 03-18-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3520023)
If you're smelling coolant inside the Jeep, it almost has to be a leaking heater core.

Thats what i was thinking, I'm just wondering where the puddle might be. From what i have read it sounds like a pita to change the core.

Patrick H 03-18-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbat23 (Post 3520051)
Thats what i was thinking, I'm just wondering where the puddle might be. From what i have read it sounds like a pita to change the core.

That depends on your mechanical ability and experience.;) The whole dash has to be pulled away from the firewall.

mrbat23 03-18-2013 04:54 PM

That is what i was afraid of, i have pretty good skills but never attempted dash removal of any kind. Thanks for quick replies.

TILLER 03-18-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbat23
That is what i was afraid of, i have pretty good skills but never attempted dash removal of any kind. Thanks for quick replies.

Did mine a month ago ... Took me 3.5 hrs

Hardest part was separating the hvac unit

Wesboy 03-18-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TILLER (Post 3521078)
Did mine a month ago ... Took me 3.5 hrs

Hardest part was separating the hvac unit

Haha - took me 5 days :)

But I was taking my time...

These 2 write-ups were very helpful

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/dash...al-144267.html

TJ Heater Core Replacement - 1

freeskier 03-18-2013 11:18 PM

When you put it on defrost and heat do you get any condensation on the inside of the windshield? Also if you have carpet pull it up on the passenger side and check for wetness. I'd do some more thorough investigating before spending the time/money in replacing the heater core.

XV_ 04-14-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3521837)
When you put it on defrost and heat do you get any condensation on the inside of the windshield? Also if you have carpet pull it up on the passenger side and check for wetness. I'd do some more thorough investigating before spending the time/money in replacing the heater core.


condensation inside windshield yes, wet carpet passenger side yes! and smelly oily substance coming out of air blend motor, do I have to remove the dash?

TILLER 04-14-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XV_ (Post 3634726)

condensation inside windshield yes, wet carpet passenger side yes! and smelly oily substance coming out of air blend motor, do I have to remove the dash?

Dash comes out in 1 huge piece

XV_ 04-26-2013 06:38 AM

So if its not the heater core what else can be causing coolant to flow through air blend motor?

Patrick H 04-26-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XV_ (Post 3684938)
So if its not the heater core what else can be causing coolant to flow through air blend motor?

Nothing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.