Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Poison Spyder Brawler Lite - Anyone? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/poison-spyder-brawler-lite-anyone-228799.html)

Mom2one 03-19-2013 12:37 PM

Poison Spyder Brawler Lite - Anyone?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I thought I was set on the Ace Pro series front bumper but I think I have changed my mind. Gee, imagine that.....a woman changing her mind! Lol!

The Poison Spyder Brawler lite w/ brawler bar has really caught my eye and I'd love to see some photos of it on your jeep and hear about coating it. Any tips on how to determine if a powder coating place is good or not? Cost for powder coating?

Also, there is the optional skid plate. So cut the crash bar and leave off the skid plate or leave the crash bar and add the skid plate or like the photo...leave the crash bar and leave off the skid plate? Opinions?

Thanks y'all! I appreciate all the advice and knowledge that you all share on this forum. I am really learning a lot!

Lowerumble 03-19-2013 12:43 PM

Yeah that bumper is one of my favorites for a shorty. Powdercoating of a similiar style middy cost me $100. Check yelp or other review sites of the shop. The skid plate is your choice. Mine is actually on still, and I left my skid off for the time being. I am waiting to cut out the crash bar and rotate the disco motor up with the metal cloak relocation kit. The skid plate is extra $ and extra weight....

kash 03-19-2013 01:55 PM

those dont look like bushwacker fender flairs any idea of which ones they are?

hbgirl 03-19-2013 02:37 PM

Love that bumper, it's my favorite, but it's just a little too spendy for me so I'm going with JCR instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash (Post 3524195)
those dont look like bushwacker fender flairs any idea of which ones they are?

PSC makes their own flares; those look like the Crushers:

Jeep Front Crusher Flares | Parts & Accessories | Off-Road Upgrade |

kramer2k 03-19-2013 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have that bumper. Love it!

Mine was $200 to PC. I wish I had gone with the place that did my sliders for $100. But it's a good quality job and came out nice b

I chopped my crash bar and rotated the sway bar motor up. I didn't want the added weight and cost of the skid plate.

Attachment 224812

Attachment 224813

DallasJKU 03-19-2013 03:06 PM

Here's mine:

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...an/photo-5.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...an/photo-8.jpg

MikeK46 03-19-2013 03:09 PM

I chose the tube gussets & powder coated it the "Coal Black" below, it has just a very very fine wrinkle/crinkle to it, really very nice.

Prismatic Powders: E-9107S COAL BLACK

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/uplo..._pi_e-9107.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/455056/2013-...4-48-50_33.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/455056/2013-...-05-56_867.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/455056/Resiz...2497096410.jpg

BigManAndy 03-19-2013 03:48 PM

Love this bumper!! It will be mine.......hopefully this summer! Just need to decide between powder coat or bed line.

nicksdiner 03-19-2013 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got it powder coated. Iwas debating many bumpers and glad I whent with the lite.

Attachment 224843

Mom2one 03-19-2013 07:57 PM

THANK YOU so much everyone for posting your pics and experience with this bumper and coating it. All of your jeeps look sexy running the poison spyder!

I think this has decided it for me and I'm going to buy this front bumper!! Woohoo!!!!

Mom2one 03-19-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK46 (Post 3524491)

Thanks for that link on powder coating. I went to their website and there are some places listed that are in my general area. Finish on yours looks really nice. I just ordered the Ace pro series rear bumper w/ tire carrier so I think I will see if they can somewhat match that.

MikeK46 03-20-2013 10:50 AM

No problem, good luck!

Sinclair 03-20-2013 11:26 AM

Mom2one, I've had this bumper for almost 2 years now. I love it! Really changes the whole look of the jeep besides providing a sturdy mount for the winch and a place to stand on when I do anything under the hood.

The install wasn't bad at all. I used a couple of jack stands and a floor jack to "walk" it into place since it is quite heavy and cumbersome for one person to handle. The shackle tabs are solid also. I did not add the PS skid for the e-disco yet, just left the factory crash bar.

And if you want to get creative, you can put some reflective colored tape behind the cut out spider in the front and give it some character. Will post some pics of mine once I find a good image.

Sinclair 03-20-2013 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite on my jeep, minus the winch.

KrawlOff-Road.com 03-20-2013 03:12 PM

The PSC is a nice bumper. We suggest just rattle canning it. You can do a front for around $30 bucks and it is super easy to do. Plus, you can touch it up when you scratch it off road! That is what we always do to our bare steel parts.

-Jason

Mom2one 03-20-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 3528723)
Mom2one, I've had this bumper for almost 2 years now. I love it! Really changes the whole look of the jeep besides providing a sturdy mount for the winch and a place to stand on when I do anything under the hood.

The install wasn't bad at all. I used a couple of jack stands and a floor jack to "walk" it into place since it is quite heavy and cumbersome for one person to handle. The shackle tabs are solid also. I did not add the PS skid for the e-disco yet, just left the factory crash bar.

And if you want to get creative, you can put some reflective colored tape behind the cut out spider in the front and give it some character. Will post some pics of mine once I find a good image.

Thanks for the review! Looks great on your jeep and I think that is the way I am going to run with it too. We think alike because I was already thinking about doing that to the cutout spider. :D

Mom2one 03-20-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 3529678)
The PSC is a nice bumper. We suggest just rattle canning it. You can do a front for around $30 bucks and it is super easy to do. Plus, you can touch it up when you scratch it off road! That is what we always do to our bare steel parts.

-Jason

Hey Jason! I think I am going to powder coat it. I've been calling around and it's a lot more expensive but I trust that better than my painting skills! If I got one run it would drive me insane! Lol!

Hopefully I can find some rattlecan paint that's close for touch ups.

Sinclair 03-20-2013 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2one (Post 3530037)
Hey Jason! I think I am going to powder coat it. I've been calling around and it's a lot more expensive but I trust that better than my painting skills! If I got one run it would drive me insane! Lol!

Hopefully I can find some rattlecan paint that's close for touch ups.

I can only speak from my experience - the powder coat on mine is tough. You won't need too much touching up. Mine is 2 years old, and the finish is still going strong. I think you will be very satisfied with your purchase. Remember to post pics!

Here's mine today....nothing but smashed bugs on the surface. And it reminded me that I need a new "spider background"!

Dr. Sizzle 03-20-2013 05:27 PM

Who's got the best prices for this bumper. I'm ready to order it today!

Mom2one 03-22-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sizzle (Post 3530244)
Who's got the best prices for this bumper. I'm ready to order it today!

I ordered from Northridge 4x4 yesterday and they shipped the same day. :dance:
Shipping was free with them.
Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts Online Store - Home

You can also try Krawl offroad to see what kind of deal you can get.

MikeK46 03-22-2013 04:37 PM

I ordered from Northridge 4x4 as well.

Mom2one 03-22-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 3530187)
I can only speak from my experience - the powder coat on mine is tough. You won't need too much touching up. Mine is 2 years old, and the finish is still going strong. I think you will be very satisfied with your purchase. Remember to post pics!

Here's mine today....nothing but smashed bugs on the surface. And it reminded me that I need a new "spider background"!

Looks good minus the smushed bugs! Lol! I found a place to powder coat it that sounds like they will do a good job.....fingers crossed!

The PS bumper arrives next week but I want to wait for my Ace rear bumper w/ tire carrier to arrive since it is already powder coated. This way I can get the Poison Spyder front bumper powder coated to match the finish on the Ace rear. I hate waiting though and it sounds like I have another 2 -3 weeks to wait on Ace.

KrawlOff-Road.com 03-22-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2one (Post 3539193)
You can also try Krawl offroad to see what kind of deal you can get.

We have free shipping as well on most PSC items....

-Jason

Mom2one 03-22-2013 04:42 PM

Anyone running a front license plate with this bumper? I think in Texas it is required. Wonder if I could just stick it on the front dash and it be legal?

TXrubicon 03-25-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2one (Post 3539241)
Anyone running a front license plate with this bumper? I think in Texas it is required. Wonder if I could just stick it on the front dash and it be legal?

Currently a front license plate is not required in Texas. During the last legislature there was a typepo which omitted the front plate requirement. There is talk of it being put back into law but if they do it will allow for it to be placed in a manor that it is clearly visible from the front of the vehicle...ex. having it suction cupped to the front windshield so that angle glare is not a factor. We couldn't ask the rich doctors to comply if it required messing up the front bumper of their expensive vehicle which has no LP mount on the front haha.

BTW my source is I'm a current police officer in TX and have been for over 6 years.

Mom2one 03-25-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXrubicon (Post 3551309)
Currently a front license plate is not required in Texas. During the last legislature there was a typepo which omitted the front plate requirement. There is talk of it being put back into law but if they do it will allow for it to be placed in a manor that it is clearly visible from the front of the vehicle...ex. having it suction cupped to the front windshield so that angle glare is not a factor. We couldn't ask the rich doctors to comply if it required messing up the front bumper of their expensive vehicle which has no LP mount on the front haha.

BTW my source is I'm a current police officer in TX and have been for over 6 years.

Thank you so much for answering that question. I'm suprised but glad it's not required. :)

My PS front bumper arrives wednesday! The brown santa is gonna be giving me dirty looks when he has to lug that up to my front door! Ha!

TXrubicon 03-26-2013 04:37 AM

I love the brown Santa...he always brings such wonderful goodies. Just keep an eye on the legal part of the news...I'm sure they'll report on it if it goes back into law

Spyder1049 03-26-2013 06:04 AM

Going to call you today Jason, going to pick up this bumper and the ace sliders
I'm in new York almost positive I need a front license plate, any one have Any ideas or pics would appreciate your input, tia

Spyder1049 03-26-2013 06:08 AM

Mike did you cut the crash bar? Also see your on the island awesome

MikeK46 03-26-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3553615)
Mike did you cut the crash bar? Also see your on the island awesome

Yep we trimmed the crash bar on both sides to get the skid on. Whereabout on the island? :thumb: