Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Any need for a relay if running Rigid Duallys? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/any-need-for-a-relay-if-running-rigid-duallys-229019.html)

Marcsblackjeep 03-20-2013 08:09 AM

Any need for a relay if running Rigid Duallys?

If i want to set up my rigid lights to run on their own circuit, Do I need a relay? I ask because the kit does not come with one.:confused: thanks forum

XTRyan 03-20-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep (Post 3528189)
If i want to set up my rigid lights to run on their own circuit, Do I need a relay? I ask because the kit does not come with one.:confused: thanks forum

Marcsblackjeep,

Yes, anytime you are wiring something directly to the battery, you want to run a relay. It's just another level of protection for your electrical system.

Shoot me a PM if you need any other help with wiring your lights up!
-Zach

MRT2 03-20-2013 04:23 PM

If you run the Rigid Dually's to replace the OEM foglights, is it a matter of splicing the Rigid wires into the OEM wires without relay?

Gbobva 03-20-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 3530226)
If you run the Rigid Dually's to replace the OEM foglights, is it a matter of splicing the Rigid wires into the OEM wires without relay?

If you use Duallys as OEM fog replacement, you can just splice into the existing harness. Works great, I did it. You MIGHT get some very small flicker that is only noticeable at night. And this is flicker with the fog lights off. They will just sit there and lightly flash. Kinda weird.

If this is a problem (and it is not for me), you could build a cable harness similar to the SMS Truck Lite harness that has relays in line and terminated into the OEM harness. I was going to talk to SMS about building one, but at $100+ it didn't seem worth it.

Another note... DO NOT USE D2 to replace the OEM fogs... they are way too bright (the D1 are almost too bright).

Marcsblackjeep 03-20-2013 08:55 PM

Not going to replace fogs

I will keep my oem fogs, but want to run 2 Rigid D1s off of my bumper. The wires that come with the lights have a fuse, but I still don't see the need for a relay. I want to run them with a simple on/off switch directly from the battery. (I want to be able to use them with the car on and off. Sorry for the repeat question but in this set up is the relay needed? Thanks forum

truthiness 03-20-2013 09:08 PM

I connected mine to the battery and installed the switch that came with the lights on the lower left dash area. Works fine. Everything I needed came in the Dually box... except the drill bit I needed for the hole for the switch.

NFRs2000NYC 03-20-2013 09:11 PM

There is absolutely no need for a relay for something that draws so little. An inline fuse is more than enough.

MRT2 03-21-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbobva (Post 3530851)

If you use Duallys as OEM fog replacement, you can just splice into the existing harness. Works great, I did it. You MIGHT get some very small flicker that is only noticeable at night. And this is flicker with the fog lights off. They will just sit there and lightly flash. Kinda weird.

If this is a problem (and it is not for me), you could build a cable harness similar to the SMS Truck Lite harness that has relays in line and terminated into the OEM harness. I was going to talk to SMS about building one, but at $100+ it didn't seem worth it.

Another note... DO NOT USE D2 to replace the OEM fogs... they are way too bright (the D1 are almost too bright).

Thanks Gbobva.

WhommismSMS?mand do you have a link to follow on what the truck lite harness would look like?

danrb 03-21-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbobva (Post 3530851)

I've got the D1's in my fogs, glad I didn't get the D2's, since they are about twice as bright. I spliced them into the OEM harness and I do get the flicker when I turn everything off and it does annoy me. Thinking about adding an sPod in, as my battery is begining to fill up with wires everywhere. I love how I buy one thing and it makes me buy two more things. lol