Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Build Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/)
-   -   My White JKU Expedition Build (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/my-white-jku-expedition-build-229044.html)

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:18 AM

My White JKU Expedition Build
 
I decided to start a build thread on this forum as I have done on others because I seem to be coming back here more than some other forums. I have had many vehicles in the last 4 years since selling my TJ. I have owned a '09 GLI, '10 FJ, '10 GTI, '12 Xterra, '13 CC and now a 2013 JKU Sport. I have been searching for the ultimate fun and expedition vehicle with some VW"s sprinkled in. I always said I would never own the new JK because I didn't think they were Jeep enough. Man, I was wrong.

On 12/28/2012, I went in and test drove a 2 door JK with 35's which was a blessing in disguise. It drove like crap and I hated it. So, I said what the hell let me drive the JKU with 35's. It drove great even with the ProComp lift. I was sold so I made an offer and got a great deal for them to take back a two month old CC. My new car payment was even cheaper than the CC lease payment so I'm very happy I will actually own this thing in 5 years or less.

On 12/28, I ordered an AEV 2.5" lift with geometry correction brackets. Also some 35" Duratracs and ProComp 7069's. This was the perfect lift for me for 35's and very light wheeling with lots of long trips planned and camping. I really love this thing so far!!

Day 1:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...an/photo-2.jpg

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:18 AM

On 1/8/2013: My AEV showed up and then on Tuesday my Poison Spyder Brawler Lite front bumper showed up. ON Tuesday, I had my AEV installed and Wednesday, I took the bumper to the powder coaters.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...an/photo-1.jpg

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:19 AM

On 1/17/2013: Installed my PS Brawler Lite front bumper.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...an/photo-5.jpg

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:21 AM

On 1/25/2013, I purchased and installed my TF tire carrier to help keep the weight down on the Jeep.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/photo-10.jpg

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since then, I added some perfect condition Rubi rock rails. They are pretty close but still don't rub with some flexing. Fine for now, but may trim later.

Then I added JKS QD's and OME Steering Stabilizer. I also added a grade 8 bolt kit.

I also added a MetalCloak rear 62" bumper that was super easy to install, but many pointed out how it shows the odd styling of the Jeep rear. I never notice it so I'm not concerned with it at this point. The TF and MC have saved me quite a bit of weight in the rear. The extra rear flare has been since trimmed off.



Attachment 225216

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:31 AM

This is where she sits today. I appreciate all feedback. I also have a JKS front TB and Trek Armor rear seat cover coming for all the dog fur. On Monday, I am having the interior Line-X'd. And hopefully in the next week or two, my ORH fastback top will arrive.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps6a6b5109.jpg

Greg_2012_JKU 03-20-2013 11:32 AM

Love the look of your rig!! How is the AEV suspension? That is the one that I am looking at getting. Their shop is about 40 mins from me and in a few months going to make an appt and have them install it for me.

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_2012_JKU (Post 3528739)
Love the look of your rig!! How is the AEV suspension? That is the one that I am looking at getting. Their shop is about 40 mins from me and in a few months going to make an appt and have them install it for me.

Its a great riding and handling lift. I went with JKS QD's because I am adding C-gussets soon and didn't want to alter the sway bar bracket and side benefit of easy disconnecting. I am also adding the JKS front TB because I got a little more axle shift after I got about 3" of lift and I'm OCD about stuff like that.

MikeK46 03-20-2013 02:42 PM

Looks great, coming along very nicely!

I can't help but say "aww those lil wheels are so cute in that first pic" LOL

However, your Jeep has grown up quick!

Casotakar1229 03-20-2013 03:22 PM

nice. the fun never ends...

kramer2k 03-20-2013 03:25 PM

What a huge improvement from stock to now. Awesome Jeep. :thumb:

I think I'll look into Metalcloak for my rear bumper. I wanted a PSC one to match my front bumper but you can't get their 1st generation Brawler Lite rear without the light buckets. And you can't get their 2nd generation Brawler Lite rear without the integrated hitch receiver. :/ Bummer

I'm going to check to see if Metalcloak has one that wraps around a little bit.

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3529741)
What a huge improvement from stock to now. Awesome Jeep. :thumb:

I think I'll look into Metalcloak for my rear bumper. I wanted a PSC one to match my front bumper but you can't get their 1st generation Brawler Lite rear without the light buckets. And you can't get their 2nd generation Brawler Lite rear without the integrated hitch receiver. :/ Bummer

I'm going to check to see if Metalcloak has one that wraps around a little bit.

They have a 72" one that wraps around. I like the MC because it on sticks out about three inches. The PS was about 5-6". Just my preference.

Dunkin_D 03-20-2013 03:34 PM

Awesome jeep...mine will be looking the same once I get my 35's put on. I also am waiting for an ORH top; so once you get yours and installed could you post a few pictures.

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunkin_D (Post 3529780)
Awesome jeep...mine will be looking the same once I get my 35's put on. I also am waiting for an ORH top; so once you get yours and installed could you post a few pictures.

You post pics also if you beat me. When did u order??

Dunkin_D 03-20-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasJKU (Post 3529792)
You post pics also if you beat me. When did u order??

I ordered on March 4th. He said sometime in April but from what I heard on the boards I shouldnt expect it until May sometime. Plus I asked how many he had before mine and he said like 30 some but half were just about done. When did you place your order?

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunkin_D (Post 3529807)

I ordered on March 4th. He said sometime in April but from what I heard on the boards I shouldnt expect it until May sometime. Plus I asked how many he had before mine and he said like 30 some but half were just about done. When did you place your order?

I ordered mine on 2/7. Hopefully mine was one that is almost done. Weather is changing here in Dallas and I want to enjoy a few nice days before the heat!!

kramer2k 03-20-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasJKU (Post 3529763)
They have a 72" one that wraps around. I like the MC because it on sticks out about three inches. The PS was about 5-6". Just my preference.

Ok, I just checked out their site and see the full width. Since I'm not running OEM fenders anymore I actually think the 62" "Crawler" bumper would look better.

What odd styling of the Jeep rear were you talking about in your prior post? Do you happen to have any more pictures of your rear bumper? I can't seem to find many online that are running only the rear bumper. There are some pictures out there of their tire carrier/bumper combo. I'm looking for different angles of the rear bumper.

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3529876)
Ok, I just checked out their site and see the full width. Since I'm not running OEM fenders anymore I actually think the 62" "Crawler" bumper would look better.

What odd styling of the Jeep rear were you talking about in your prior post? Do you happen to have any more pictures of your rear bumper? I can't seem to find many online that are running only the rear bumper. There are some pictures out there of their tire carrier/bumper combo. I'm looking for different angles of the rear bumper.

I will take some more pics today, but check out where the opening is in the bumper. You will see an indentation that is covered by most. Doesn't bother me, but many raised the issue.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...psaa9a3c49.jpg

DallasJKU 03-20-2013 05:05 PM

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...psad30b131.jpg

Thorshammer7 03-20-2013 05:15 PM

Very nice, what a transformation !! :cool:

DallasJKU 03-21-2013 01:54 AM

Thanks to all the replies!! I will call this Phase One. I originally budgeted about $10K for this phase. So far I have spent about $8K for everything. I still would like some nets for the rear. If the ORH top is like people say then I will ultimately sell the hardtop. Another $725 will be spent Monday on Line-X. I currently have no idea what Phase Two will be, but I imagine it will entail 37's and flat fenders. Lots more to research though.

DallasJKU 03-23-2013 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New toys!! JKS front trackbar to re-center that axle and Trek Armor rear seat cover. These will be installed Sunday and then Monday is LineX day!!


Attachment 226241

1Topp 03-23-2013 07:47 AM

:thumb:

joeg679 03-23-2013 10:05 AM

Very Nice!

JEEPbug 03-23-2013 11:23 AM

That's an awesome rig!! I have a white Sahara and it will look similar to yours when it grows up! Look forward to the Line-X pics...

Westside1 03-23-2013 11:25 AM

:punk:

DallasJKU 03-24-2013 12:00 AM

Another shot of the rear.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps741fab25.jpg

DallasJKU 03-25-2013 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I added my black Jeep emblem, JKS front TB and Trek Armor seat covers. I also decided to hold off on my LineX until it gets a little warmer and I have more time.



Attachment 227152

DallasJKU 03-25-2013 12:51 AM

I also found a squeak in the rear that has been alluding me for a couple months. It was the U-bolts in the rear. I checked them a couple times but they really needed a little more torque. Feels like a new Jeep!!

DallasJKU 03-25-2013 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Emblem


Attachment 227290


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.