Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Checking for lockers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/checking-for-lockers-229382.html)

oneeyebear 03-21-2013 03:54 PM

Checking for lockers
 
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and just bought my jeep 2 days ago. I am trying to check if my wrangler has lockers. I think it is a high possibility because of the visible work that the previous owner put into the vehicle. My problem is that I purchased it from a small dealership so they did not know half of the upgrades that were installed on this jeep.

I have done searches and have seen tons of different answers. I am just looking for a sure answer. I want to do a spin test to check if there are lockers, don't want to have to open up the diff. Can anyone help me out here?

TJspeed 03-21-2013 04:52 PM

Jack the tires off the ground and hand spin one tire. If the other tire moves in the same direction you have a limited slip, if it moves in the opposite direction then its an open diff. Assuming that you don't have locker switches inside the Jeep.

Jerry Bransford 03-21-2013 05:09 PM

You can't really tell if a locker or limited slip differential is installed by which way the opposite tire spins when you spin a tire. Gear-based LSDs like the Detroit Truetrac spin the other tire in the opposite direction, clutch-based LSDs like the OE Tracloc spin the other tire in the same direction. An unlocked selectable locker will cause the other tire to spin in an opposite direction to the one you're spinning.

About the only sure way to know is to remove the differential covers & see what the center differential looks like.

TJspeed 03-21-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3534944)
You can't really tell if a locker or limited slip differential is installed by which way the opposite tire spins when you spin a tire. Gear-based LSDs like the Detroit Truetrac spin the other tire in the opposite direction, clutch-based LSDs like the OE Tracloc spin the other tire in the same direction. An unlocked selectable locker will cause the other tire to spin in an opposite direction to the one you're spinning.

I did not know that. Good to know!

BrandonsJeep 03-21-2013 05:48 PM

+1 :thumb:

Duma 03-21-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A quick way to check is just crawl under your Jeep and look at the pumpkin- one single rubber tube coming out of your differential is the vent tube. If there is a 2nd line coming out (could be either a cable, an air line or an electric cable), you probably have a locker.

Here's a pic of my D44. You can see both the vent tube and the air line for the locker:

Attachment 225722

Jerry Bransford 03-21-2013 07:22 PM

Don't take the absence of an extra hose or electrical connector as indicating no locker, many lockers including all lunchboxes and the Detroit Locker need no hoses, cable, or electrical connector.

Duma 03-21-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Don't take the absence of an extra hose or electrical connector as indicating no locker, many lockers including all lunchboxes and the Detroit Locker need no hoses, cable, or electrical connector.

Good point, I forgot about automatic lockers. OP, go to a wide open parking lot, turn sharply and punch the gas...if it locks up, tries to go straight and scares you, then you have a lunchbox locker! :)

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 03-21-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyebear;3534606 I want to do a spin test to check if there are lockers, [B
don't want to have to open up the diff[/B]. Can anyone help me out here?

You really should pop both covers and have a look/replace lube especially since you just bought the jeep. For all you know there's nothing but muddy water in there.

5spdftw 03-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duma (Post 3535917)
Good point, I forgot about automatic lockers. OP, go to a wide open parking lot, turn sharply and punch the gas...if it locks up, tries to go straight and scares you, then you have a lunchbox locker! :)

I would not sign off on that...

oneeyebear 03-24-2013 01:36 AM

Haha yeah don't worry I'm not about to do that parking lot test. So everyone agrees that the ONLY way to know if the truck has lockers is to open up the differential.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.