Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   POR 15 worth it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/por-15-worth-it-229423.html)

cchartrand 03-21-2013 06:37 PM

POR 15 worth it?

Alright, I've seen hype and heard praises but is POR 15 worth the cost? Once the snow and ice isn't in my driveway, I plan on getting all up under my baby and squashing any possible rust on my tub/ frame. I live up here at the end of the " rust belt" in New England, and am looking for the right product, not an overpriced snake oil. Thoughts???

TJGARMA03 03-21-2013 06:46 PM

It is all about the prep. You have to make sure you prep it really well. Good product but you have to prep the surface correctly. Just follow the instructions. Get the pattern here? Prep prep prep!

cchartrand 03-21-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJGARMA03
It is all about the prep. You have to make sure you prep it really well. Good product but you have to prep the surface correctly. Just follow the instructions. Get the pattern here? Prep prep prep!

I hear yah! If am going that route, I was thinking of going with their three step process. Any experience w/ the product?

Horn5413 03-21-2013 06:53 PM

It's a good product. Like said above. Prep! Don't use it on anything exposed to sun it will fade unless you paint over it. Overall I would use it again it does not chip or flake if prepped right.

TJGARMA03 03-21-2013 06:59 PM

It's a very good product. Wouldn't put over paint. If using on bare metal let it rust over a little bit first. It sticks really well to rust compared to a freshly sanded or media blasted surface.

cchartrand 03-21-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horn5413
It's a good product. Like said above. Prep! Don't use it on anything exposed to sun it will fade unless you paint over it. Overall I would use it again it does not chip or flake if prepped right.

Awesome. Thanks for the input! I'm going to put some A to Z fabrications rocker guards on, and I'm ordering them in bare metal. In addition to everything underneath, I'm going to hit them as well. I believe the same makers of POR 15 make a UV resistant top coat too. I might be all in.

cchartrand 03-21-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

It's a very good product. Wouldn't put over paint. If using on bare metal let it rust over a little bit first. It sticks really well to rust compared to a freshly sanded or media blasted surface.

Thanks man! No shortage of rusty spots under my Jeep! Just surface stuff right now, but since I plan on keeping this thing FOREVER, I want to deal w/ them now. Sounds pretty positive so far, anyone got a BBD?

TJGARMA03 03-21-2013 07:19 PM

Yeah I have to do my drivers floor and rear tailgate. Apparently the previous owner never ever washed under or behind the spare tire. Tailgate bubbled and rusted right on the bottom of tailgate behind the spare.

cchartrand 03-21-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah I have to do my drivers floor and rear tailgate. Apparently the previous owner never ever washed under or behind the spare tire. Tailgate bubbled and rusted right on the bottom of tailgate behind the spare.

Apparently we'll both be spending some time under our babies ! Labor of love, right? Thanks for the input my friend!