Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Will 12.5 tires stick out? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/will-12-5-tires-stick-out-229437.html)

bhsanchez72 03-21-2013 08:07 PM

Will 12.5 tires stick out?
 
Will 33x12.50 tires stick out pass tj flares, if so how much? Will it pass inspection still.

Ridge Runner 99 03-21-2013 08:18 PM

Mine are about 5" past the stock flares. They pass in Virginia.

TJspeed 03-21-2013 08:20 PM

If your wheels have the correct back spacing for 33x12.5 then yes they will. Not sure how much. But my 33x10.5 sick out about 2" to 3" past oem non Rubicon flares. But new mexico doesn't have inspections :D

Dragnslayr06 03-21-2013 08:20 PM

You will need larger flares to pass an inspection. 6inch flares should cover them enough.

Melissas6570 03-22-2013 09:13 AM

Glad we dont have that in AL. I would keep my old tires and wheels, or borrow a set of smaller tires from a friend.

i_be_heepin 03-22-2013 09:40 AM

This is a random pic i had when I was on 33s. depends on your rim backspacing and im not exactly sure of mine so take that into account.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/z..._8003955_n.jpg

Neil F. 03-22-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsanchez72 (Post 3535754)
Will 33x12.50 tires stick out pass tj flares, if so how much? Will it pass inspection still.

(Note, you appear to have YJ. Do you have a TJ or YJ?)

No idea where you are located (no info in your profile) Inspection and wheel coverage laws are different state to state so there is no way to determine what you need.

It is not only tire width that determins how much further out they will be. You have to know the rim backspacing.

rketr 03-22-2013 10:05 AM

Agreed. Each state is different. Mine stick out by 15" (yes fifteen), but there's no problem with that in TX.

ninjaturtle0 03-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rketr (Post 3538211)
Agreed. Each state is different. Mine stick out by 15" (yes fifteen), but there's no problem with that in TX.

Whew! I was wondering about TX when I read this post until I saw your reply :wavey:

PStov98TJ 03-22-2013 11:00 AM

For a1 2.50 tire you should have ~4-3.5" bs. They'll stick out 4-5" past stock, non rubi flares.

jricher82 03-22-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsanchez72 (Post 3535754)
Will 33x12.50 tires stick out pass tj flares, if so how much? Will it pass inspection still.

Yes, as everyone said 12.5 will stick out past stock flares. What state are you trying to pass inspection in? I know in NJ where I live it's an emmissions only inspection so lift, tires and stuff like that don't apply to the inspection anymore. I'd go online and check the laws in your state for inspection requirements for passenger vehicles.

SHADYDC 03-22-2013 11:16 AM

mine stick out bout 3-4'' past stock flares w/ after market wheels i think they are 3.5'' BS

bhsanchez72 03-22-2013 12:08 PM

I am looking at buying this 02 wrangler off CL and the tires on it are bald and wont pass inspections. And I plan on putting a lift and 33s but I dont have any stock tires to get it through inspection. I live in MD and they cant stick out at all. So I have three options.
1st- is to borrow someones stock tires
2nd- buy 33X12.50 tires and buy 6" flares
3rd- I could just buy 33X10.50 tires and be done.

Not sure what I wanna do though.

TJspeed 03-22-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsanchez72 (Post 3538605)
I am looking at buying this 02 wrangler off CL and the tires on it are bald and wont pass inspections. And I plan on putting a lift and 33s but I dont have any stock tires to get it through inspection. I live in MD and they cant stick out at all. So I have three options.
1st- is to borrow someones stock tires
2nd- buy 33X12.50 tires and buy 6" flares
3rd- I could just buy 33X10.50 tires and be done.

Not sure what I wanna do though.

33x10.5 will still stick out past the flares. I have 33x10.5 and they stick out 2"-3" past the OEM flares. Does the Jeep your looking at have stock or aftermarket wheels?

bhsanchez72 03-22-2013 07:26 PM

It has stock wheels and I plan on keeping it on the stock wheels for now.

Trailsnail 03-22-2013 09:48 PM

On stock rims without spacers, the trailing edge of the front tires will probably rub your radius arms during sharp turns

PaulisTJ 03-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsanchez72 (Post 3538605)
I am looking at buying this 02 wrangler off CL and the tires on it are bald and wont pass inspections. And I plan on putting a lift and 33s but I dont have any stock tires to get it through inspection. I live in MD and they cant stick out at all. So I have three options.
1st- is to borrow someones stock tires
2nd- buy 33X12.50 tires and buy 6" flares
3rd- I could just buy 33X10.50 tires and be done.

Not sure what I wanna do though.

Are you sure about the tires sticking out in MD? Because when I had mine inspected just a few months ago I passed. I have stock with 31's on(no idea on width) but they definitely do stick out past the fenders. Also there are some "jeeper" friendly places if you look around and ask if you know anyone. I did some reading online and there are no specific laws in regards to tires sticking out past fenders. And also if I remember correctly the inspection points sheet they gave me did not include any fender/tire coverage. I might still have it, if you want I can try to post it here. Theres always a chance I might be wrong, interested on how it turns out. Another option is go to a used tire place and ask if you can borrow a trashed set that will still pass, I'm sure if you ask nice they will. Good thing in md is once its done its done till you get another jeep or car...

GoldenSahara00 03-22-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulisTJ (Post 3540616)

Are you sure about the tires sticking out in MD? Because when I had mine inspected just a few months ago I passed. I have stock with 31's on(no idea on width) but they definitely do stick out past the fenders. Also there are some "jeeper" friendly places if you look around and ask if you know anyone. I did some reading online and there are no specific laws in regards to tires sticking out past fenders. And also if I remember correctly the inspection points sheet they gave me did not include any fender/tire coverage. I might still have it, if you want I can try to post it here. Theres always a chance I might be wrong, interested on how it turns out. Another option is go to a used tire place and ask if you can borrow a trashed set that will still pass, I'm sure if you ask nice they will. Good thing in md is once its done its done till you get another jeep or car...

I know guys from MD who have had issues. There is a big jeep club on FB and this comes up from time to time. But like you said there are jeep friendly places etc. it's the same here in pa. Mine are illegal but I can get anything to pass almost... Haha

bhsanchez72 03-23-2013 07:34 AM

I found someone that will let me borrow there stock tires, so I will just borrow those to be safe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.