Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   CV Driveshaft help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/cv-driveshaft-help-229624.html)

Daydreamnation0312 03-22-2013 04:43 PM

CV Driveshaft help!

Hey guys I am about to upgrade my cv driveshaft and add a SYE so I can get rid of the vibrations that come from the t case drop. I need help on finding a relatively good deal on a Tom Woods driveshaft or any other kind. I also don't know which SYE I should get.

Colo-TJ 03-22-2013 06:19 PM

I went with the Teraflex......
call Mike. he will help you out. http://www.avalanche4x4.com/Default.asp

Oldguy 03-22-2013 09:27 PM

Go with the Advance Adapters SYE, I believe that's what Teraflex sells. Tom Woods is good, you can be sure if you give them the right numbers it will fit. This is not a good place to try to save a few bucks.

Sunshine24 03-22-2013 10:34 PM

Bill's Englewood Driveshaft...best in the business and great guy to work with. IMO.
I know he does deals for members on other forums, just not sure about this one (haven't looked at the vendor list) "You Can't Beat My Shaft!" - Welcome

Daydreamnation0312 03-30-2013 03:46 PM

Checked out Bill's driveshaft he said he'd give me the driveshaft and SYE for around $500 which is a pretty good deal. I'm also going to regear it to 4.56 and throw on some Rokmen upper control arms for my front and rear.

GSPup 03-30-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 (Post 3572401)
Checked out Bill's driveshaft he said he'd give me the driveshaft and SYE for around $500 which is a pretty good deal. I'm also going to regear it to 4.56 and throw on some Rokmen upper control arms for my front and rear.

Front uppers aren't really necessary in your situation.

Daydreamnation0312 03-30-2013 05:48 PM

You sure? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard you need adjustable upper control arms if you're going to raise the t case to stock level.

GSPup 03-30-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 (Post 3572744)
You sure? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard you need adjustable upper control arms if you're going to raise the t case to stock level.

I am sure. I just did a tummy tuck my self a few months ago. So my tcase is lifted above stock level and adjustable rear uppers are the only after market arms I have. Rear upper control arms are all that's necessary. The front drive shaft is long enough that you don't need to adjust the angle.

Daydreamnation0312 03-30-2013 06:09 PM

Oh okay sweet! That'll save me a couple bucks. Thanks for the pointer! How's it run with a new driveshaft? Pretty nice?

GSPup 03-30-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 (Post 3572802)
Oh okay sweet! That'll save me a couple bucks. Thanks for the pointer! How's it run with a new driveshaft? Pretty nice?

Very smooth. Just had to adjust the uppers to get the pinion angle correct...sounds harder than it actually is. I eyeballed the driveshaft angle and all is good.

1320quick 03-30-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPup (Post 3572777)
I am sure. I just did a tummy tuck my self a few months ago. So my tcase is lifted above stock level and adjustable rear uppers are the only after market arms I have. Rear upper control arms are all that's necessary. The front drive shaft is long enough that you don't need to adjust the angle.

Looks good GSPup. Who's skid is that in the picture that you used for the TT???? Currently doing a TT myself and will be in the market for a rear CV shaft next week...

GSPup 03-30-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320quick (Post 3573977)

Looks good GSPup. Who's skid is that in the picture that you used for the TT???? Currently doing a TT myself and will be in the market for a rear CV shaft next week...

Thanks. It's a UCF ultra high clearance skid. If your local I did a Rocky Mountain Driveline shaft and they're local.

GSPup 03-30-2013 11:34 PM

TT is a great addition you your jeep.

Daydreamnation0312 04-11-2013 08:58 PM

Ok so my parts should be almost here by now. I ordered the rear upper control arms an SYE and cv driveshaft. Will there be anything else I need?

1320quick 04-11-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 (Post 3625949)
Ok so my parts should be almost here by now. I ordered the rear upper control arms an SYE and cv driveshaft. Will there be anything else I need?

You will need do do something with your lower shock mounts. When you use the new adjustable uppers to rotate the pinion to point at the output shaft on the transfer case, that will pull the bottom of the shocks into the lower spring buckets. I put Curry shock extensions on mine. The JKS ones look decent too. I've heard that you can just cut a notch in the lower spring bucket but I didn't want to try that on my Tj. Other than that, it sounds like your are all set. I finished my TT/CV drive shaft this week so it's pretty fresh in my mind. ;)

BreckenridgeYJ 04-12-2013 12:18 AM

Just did it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320quick (Post 3626223)
You will need do do something with your lower shock mounts. When you use the new adjustable uppers to rotate the pinion to point at the output shaft on the transfer case, that will pull the bottom of the shocks into the lower spring buckets. I put Curry shock extensions on mine. The JKS ones look decent too. I've heard that you can just cut a notch in the lower spring bucket but I didn't want to try that on my Tj. Other than that, it sounds like your are all set. I finished my TT/CV drive shaft this week so it's pretty fresh in my mind. ;)

You can run the bilstein 5100's (shaft down) which typically clears... I went that route as well as notching the buckets. I've read of quite a few brackets breaking off from the added strain of mount extensions but yet to read of one from removing material. (plus it's free)

GSPup 04-12-2013 12:50 AM

The relocation brackets aren't always necessary. I didn't need to do anything to make room
for my shocks. If you're running minimal lift you should be fine. If your running 3" or more you might need relocation brackets.

You'll know after you set your pinion angle...

Daydreamnation0312 04-12-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 3626660)

You can run the bilstein 5100's (shaft down) which typically clears... I went that route as well as notching the buckets. I've read of quite a few brackets breaking off from the added strain of mount extensions but yet to read of one from removing material. (plus it's free)

Good thing I switched to some 5100's! Haha but I'm running a 3.5 inch lift so you think it'll still be good without using the relocation brackets? Sorry I'm new to this guys haha

GSPup 04-12-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daydreamnation0312 (Post 3627722)
Good thing I switched to some 5100's! Haha but I'm running a 3.5 inch lift so you think it'll still be good without using the relocation brackets? Sorry I'm new to this guys haha

Ya. We just intalled a TT on a rubi a few weeks ago with 3.5" Rubicon Express lift and his shocks fit fine...even at full bump. Every jeeps different but I think you'll be ok.