Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What wheels to run?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-wheels-to-run-229639.html)

Melvin 03-22-2013 07:00 PM

What wheels to run?!
 
I just bought a set of 33 Toyo open country MTs off of craigs. Now I need to know what rims to run.

The tires are 33 12.5 r15

I have no clue what offset I should run. I am looking at these right now.

15x8 19 Vision Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels Rims 5x4 5 Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ | eBay

any suggestions? Thanks.

tjwood29 03-22-2013 08:15 PM

I am running 33x10.5xr15 on my tj and I have more than enough room. I was told on the thread I posted that 4 backspacing is good for running 10.5 and 12.5.

Full Spool 03-22-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin (Post 3539662)

I'd get the procomp series 97 or 98, with 3.75 backspacing from quadratec, or see if your local shop has them. They are a dime a dozen and it's the same shit, different chinese distributor.

Melvin 03-22-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3539960)
One wheel for $250? The wording on that posting is deceptive.

I'd get the procomp series 97 or 98, with 3.75 backspacing from quadratec, or see if your local shop has them. They are a dime a dozen and it's the same shit, different chinese distributor.

Its 250 for a set of 4 wheels. How do I know what back spacing the wheel has? These just say offset is neg 19

Full Spool 03-22-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin (Post 3540011)
Its 250 for a set of 4 wheels. How do I know what back spacing the wheel has? These just say offset is neg 19

I guess you could convert from metric. or google procomp series 98.. :)

Patrick H 03-22-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540043)
I guess you could convert from metric. or google procomp series 98.. :)

Simply converting the measurement of offset won't directly give you the backspace.;) Offset and back space are two different things.

Full Spool 03-22-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540054)
Simply converting the measurement of offset won't directly give you the backspace.;) Offset and back space are two different things.

Gosh damnit, you gonna make me calculate that foreign language...
That's why I sent him to an american institute like quadratec.:surrender:

mdutton 03-22-2013 09:06 PM

So what is the difference between offset and back space in regards to rims?

Full Spool 03-22-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdutton (Post 3540117)
So what is the difference between offset and back space in regards to rims?

The wheel offset is the difference between the mounting surface at the brake side of the rim compared inside to outside. -19 means the wheel is has more out, than on the inside.

Bump steer comes into play when the mounting surface strays from center of the rim.

http://www.4wd.com/promo/2008-02/tir...l-advisor2.jpg


Back space is needed to clear the tie rod ends and other components.
Jeep wheel usually sell with two different back spacings, 3.75 and 4.5

To get tie rod clearance the 3.75 with an 8" rim is the best bet.

Patrick H 03-22-2013 09:21 PM

http://www.minimania.com/imagesbig/wheel%20offset.jpg

Patrick H 03-22-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540160)
The wheel offset is the difference between the mounting surface at the brake side of the rim compared inside to outside. -19 means the wheel is has more out, than on the inside.

Bump steer comes into play when the mounting surface strays from center of the rim.

http://www.4wd.com/promo/2008-02/tir...l-advisor2.jpg


Back space is needed to clear the tie rod ends and other components.
Jeep wheel usually sell with two different back spacings, 3.75 and 4.5

To get tie rod clearance the 3.75 with an 8" rim is the best bet.

I went with 4" back space. Plenty of clearance for 12.50's

Full Spool 03-22-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540189)
I went with 4" back space. Plenty of clearance for 12.50's

It's kinda funny when people buy rims with 4.5" backspace, then buy wheel spacers. :D

TJDave 03-22-2013 09:34 PM

I used to run the exact same Toyo's. 33x12.5x15. They are a very heavy tire. I had them on cheapo black steelies. 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing. When I went to 35's, I put them on alloy wheels. Lighter, and stay balanced better. I would suggest going alloy wheels.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...9/DSCN2370.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...DSCN1942-1.jpg

Melvin 03-22-2013 09:46 PM

So then will the 3.75 back spacing work with the Toyo Open country mts that I mentioned?

Melvin 03-22-2013 09:48 PM

And also the -19 offset? Is this what I should run? Or is there a better offset?

Patrick H 03-22-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540211)
It's kinda funny when people buy rims with 4.5" backspace, then buy wheel spacers. :D

Why would someone buy new wheels that didn't have the back space they wanted?
I ran 1.25" spacers on my stock Canyons @5.5" back space, so the 4" back space wheels gave me 1/4" less back space than that setup.

Patrick H 03-22-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin (Post 3540307)
And also the -19 offset? Is this what I should run? Or is there a better offset?

That's fine. That should be the offset for an 8" wide wheel with 3.75" back space.

Full Spool 03-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin (Post 3540307)
And also the -19 offset? Is this what I should run? Or is there a better offset?

Offset is gonna change between a 8" rim and a 10" rim, if the back spacing is to stay at 3.75"

-19mm = -.75 inches

so it's saying the mounting surface is .75 off center on an 8" wheel, which equates to about 3.75' of back spacing if you calculate in the thickness of the wheel.

Melvin 03-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540321)
That's fine. That should be the offset for an 8" wide wheel with 3.75" back space.


Cool. I will be ordering up the set I was looking at. Thanks.

Patrick H 03-22-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Offset is gonna change between a 8" rim and a 10" rim, if the back spacing is to stay at 3.75"
Exactly, which is why for our application, offset isn't generally a concern. Pick your wheel width, and pick your back space.

mdutton 03-22-2013 10:06 PM

What about 8" vs 10" wide rim for 33 x 12.50 x 15 tires

Rude Dog 03-22-2013 10:07 PM

Ok so $62.00 wheel delivered, not bad... Even better if no sales tax. I've seen some black wheels @ $55.00/Wheel, but then there's tax, shipping, or both. There's basic black steel wheels used/sold in the racing industry that are reasonable in price in many off-sets. Not sure exactly which offsets "they" offer? Likely offsets in increments of 1/2 "& 1".

Full Spool 03-22-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540314)
Why would someone buy new wheels that didn't have the back space they wanted?

They didn't investigate before they bought? Or maybe they upgraded to curry steering and it didn't have the clearance.

Anyway, it's good discussion.

Full Spool 03-22-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540373)
Exactly, which is why for our application, offset isn't generally a concern. Pick your wheel width, and pick your back space.

Unless you buy a 12" wide rim with 3.75 backspacing. Then a heavy duty steering damper would be on the menu. :D

Patrick H 03-22-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540430)
Unless you buy a 12" wide rim with 3.75 backspacing. Then a heavy duty steering damper would be on the menu. :D

As far as the wheels themselves go.............................................:)

Full Spool 03-22-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540314)
Why would someone buy new wheels that didn't have the back space they wanted?
I ran 1.25" spacers on my stock Canyons @5.5" back space, so the 4" back space wheels gave me 1/4" less back space than that setup.

But what size tires originally came on those rims. You move up to 33' or 35' on those wheels and you would have to set the steering stops to where you need a parking lot to turn a circle.

Patrick H 03-22-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540483)
But what size tires originally came on those rims. You move up to 33' or 35' on those wheels and you would have to set the steering stops to where you need a parking lot to turn a circle.

The Canyons?
12.50's on 5.5 BS with 1.25 spacers would clear just fine I'd think. That's only 1/2" more back space than your 3.75 BS

Full Spool 03-22-2013 10:36 PM

My last point then it's back to watching this stupid zombie movie.

Keeping the offset closer to 0 is going to keep the ball joints closer to wheel center which will reduce steering component fatigue. 10" wheels on 12 inch tires makes the wheels more prone to damage from rocks.

Full Spool 03-22-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3540491)
The Canyons?
12.50's on 5.5 BS with 1.25 spacers would clear just fine I'd think. That's only 1/2" more back space than your 3.75 BS

I'm just saying the spacers weren't a factory option.

Patrick H 03-22-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Spool (Post 3540540)
I'm just saying the spacers weren't a factory option.

Oh, OK. :) Go watch your movie..:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.