Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Track Bar Death Wobble (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/track-bar-death-wobble-229774.html)

invmgmt 03-23-2013 03:19 PM

Track Bar Death Wobble
 
2 Attachment(s)
Well, After reading about death wobble CAUSES, I finally figured out that the bushings and ball joint on my track bar are bad (thank you planman for the diagnostic videos).

However, I now realize that I don't have a stock track bar. The track bar appears to be adjustable and, therefore, I assume that I can replace just the ball joint rather than the entire track bar (of course I need to get the bushings for the other side as well).

Can anyone help with the identification of this track bar? I don't see any manufacturer markings on it so I am a bit lost.

griffin84184 03-23-2013 04:07 PM

Sorry, I have nothing to add to your post, but those are some crazy looking control arms? Who makes those?

Jaxon1023 03-23-2013 04:13 PM

What kind of control arms are those. They look scary

Mass tj 126 03-23-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxon1023 (Post 3543139)
What kind of control arms are those. They look scary

Those scary control arms are rancho I believe. The track bar looks like a rough country.

invmgmt 03-23-2013 05:59 PM

Yes, the control arms are Rancho.

Thanks for the ID as a rough country track bar. I guess that I can google that to find the replacement ball joint?

UnlimitedLJ04 03-23-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invmgmt (Post 3542983)
Can anyone help with the identification of this track bar? I don't see any manufacturer markings on it so I am a bit lost.

it's a diff smasher.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/some...bar-96630.html

invmgmt 03-23-2013 07:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3543560)

Are you certain? It doesn't appear to be that close to the diff cover.

Patrick H 03-23-2013 07:45 PM

Pull the springs and jack the axle up to full bump. I'd bet the track bar hits the diff cover. I see you do have bump stop extensions, but not sure they're enough.
Also not sure about your death wobble, but I'd bet that dropped pitman arm along with stock track bar mounting locations are causing bump steer.

Hiatus83 03-23-2013 09:15 PM

x2... def ditch the dropped pitman arm and put back on stock, the drag link angle will be better.. i have the same adj track bar, and the nut stripped out, recommend welding it into place so it can not be adjustable anymore, and doesnt look like you have enough grease in that tie rod end on the track bar..., got death wobble scary as hell cause of a stripped rough country adj track bar nut.. welded it, no problems since... also all new exhaust and other fun expenses related to severe death wobble

UnlimitedLJ04 03-23-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invmgmt (Post 3543810)
Are you certain? It doesn't appear to be that close to the diff cover.

100% certain. you have a big mark in your diff cover. smashing the track bar into the diff cover is what killed your track bar ends.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...psf08911ed.jpg

you have a major clearance problem, even with the giant aluminum bumpstop extensions already bolted to the spring pad. you need a different track bar that fits - I'd suggest a Currie TJS or TJJ model from Savvy Offroad, or a JKS. Currie is the better choice, IMHO.

read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

also, as previously stated, that drop pitman arm is crap and needs to be replaced with a stock pitman arm.

Patrick H 03-23-2013 09:58 PM

I couldn't tell if that mark was from track bar impact, or just a grease spot.

invmgmt 03-24-2013 02:47 PM

Didn't realize that was an aftermarket pitman arm...was on the Jeep when I bought it.

invmgmt 03-25-2013 04:11 PM

So, I had emailed Rough Country based on the identification by Mass TJ. Their response..."buy a new track bar".

Thanks guys! Great customer service. You can bet the new track bar will be from Currie or JKS.

Are both Currie and JKS a direct bolt on solution? Or will I need to re-drill holes?

Patrick H 03-25-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invmgmt (Post 3551106)
So, I had emailed Rough Country based on the identification by Mass TJ. Their response..."buy a new track bar".

Thanks guys! Great customer service. You can bet the new track bar will be from Currie or JKS.

Are both Currie and JKS a direct bolt on solution? Or will I need to re-drill holes?

The frame side bracket has to be drilled out. JKS has two options, you drill either 9/16", or 5/8" for their "heavy duty" unit. The Currie also requires 5/8", and the axle bracket drilled to 1/2".
I chose the JKS OGS126 that requires 9/16". It removes very little material, and in my opinion, a stock tapered stud track bar could still be used.

All Terrain JK 03-25-2013 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had the same type of clearance issues you're having. I had a Skyjacker track bar and it was a diff masher as well. I decided to go with the currie TJJ track bar and couldn't be happier.

Attachment 227389



Attachment 227390

The thing about clearancing is once you get one part to clear you usually find the next part to hit.
If you want to see what I did to get clearance in my front end you can check out my build thread.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/marc...-221479-2.html
Good luck. :)

Arch Stanton 03-25-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3551209)

The frame side bracket has to be drilled out. JKS has two options, you drill either 9/16", or 5/8" for their "heavy duty" unit. The Currie also requires 5/8", and the axle bracket drilled to 1/2".
I chose the JKS OGS126 that requires 9/16". It removes very little material, and in my opinion, a stock tapered stud track bar could still be used.

Did the JKS track bar clear your diff cover? I'm thinking of getting the JKS TB as well.

Patrick H 03-25-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 3551888)
Did the JKS track bar clear your diff cover? I'm thinking of getting the JKS TB as well.

I haven't pulled the springs and pushed it to full bump yet as I'm waiting on new shocks to get here, but I've seen pics and claims that it'll clear with 2" bump stops, even shorter with the ZJ tie rod, which I have...\

And right now I have about 2 1/2" bump stops, but I'll probably be able to reduce that to 2" with my new shocks, if the tire still stays out of the fender.

Patrick H 03-25-2013 07:27 PM

This is the JKS track bar with stock tie rod, and 2" bump stops. Not mine.

http://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...l-img_2610.jpg

Arch Stanton 03-25-2013 08:50 PM

I have BDS 2" springs and OME shocks, and I have somewhere between 1.5 to 1.75 of bump stop in the front and rear. I have the Crown HD Steering Kit with the ZJ bent tie rod, and the track bar is making contact with the ODC diff cover. I was wondering if the JKS would provide more clearance over the stock TB. If not, I'm going to remove the ODC diff cover and go back to stock or maybe the Barnett cover.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3551917)
I haven't pulled the springs and pushed it to full bump yet as I'm waiting on new shocks to get here, but I've seen pics and claims that it'll clear with 2" bump stops, even shorter with the ZJ tie rod, which I have...\

And right now I have about 2 1/2" bump stops, but I'll probably be able to reduce that to 2" with my new shocks, if the tire still stays out of the fender.


Arch Stanton 03-25-2013 08:52 PM

That's pretty close. Maybe the ZJ tie rod would provide enough clearance.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3551927)
This is the JKS track bar with stock tie rod, and 2" bump stops. Not mine.

http://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...l-img_2610.jpg


All Terrain JK 03-25-2013 08:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton (Post 3552310)
I have BDS 2" springs and OME shocks, and I have somewhere between 1.5 to 1.75 of bump stop in the front and rear. I have the Crown HD Steering Kit with the ZJ bent tie rod, and the track bar is making contact with the ODC diff cover. I was wondering if the JKS would provide more clearance over the stock TB. If not, I'm going to remove the ODC diff cover and go back to stock or maybe the Barnett cover.

I had to go back to stock.

Arch Stanton 03-25-2013 09:29 PM

Maybe I'll get a skid or a guard for the bottom half.

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3552345)
I had to go back to stock.


invmgmt 03-26-2013 11:35 AM

Another question...since the track bar is bad at both ends, should I assume that the axle side mounting hole is ovaled? If so, does that change potential replacement bar? The bar shifts on the axle side a little bit which is how I was able to diagnose as DW contributor.

All Terrain JK 03-26-2013 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by invmgmt (Post 3554739)
Another question...since the track bar is bad at both ends, should I assume that the axle side mounting hole is ovaled? If so, does that change potential replacement bar? The bar shifts on the axle side a little bit which is how I was able to diagnose as DW contributor.

I have no experience with the JKS bar but for the TJJ the housing mount is drilled out to 1/2".


Attachment 227755


So I guess it depends on how distorted the hole is. Or you can cut and weld a cover plate on the mount and re-drill. UnlimitedLJ04 has a nice pic of that. I think a write up to.

UnlimitedLJ04 03-26-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3554801)
Or you can cut and weld a cover plate on the mount and re-drill. UnlimitedLJ04 has a nice pic of that. I think a write up to.

i'm a big fan of welding a piece of 1/8" over the stock axle side mount. I did it on my HP D30, and would recommend it to everyone....regardless of track bar.

All Terrain JK 03-26-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3554829)
i'm a big fan of welding a piece of 1/8" over the stock axle side mount. I did it on my HP D30, and would recommend it to everyone....regardless of track bar.

I will be doing this when I install my axle housing JJ kit. I'll have the welder right there, no more excuses lol.

Patrick H 03-26-2013 12:43 PM

Yep, made an 1/8" plate for mine..

invmgmt 04-02-2013 06:40 PM

How much play is there around the axle-side bolt? I removed the existing Track Bar to see if it was ovaled...it was not. But there is some play around that bolt, is that normal? I just don't know how tight the tolerances are supposed to be on that part.

OhSixTJ 04-05-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invmgmt (Post 3586235)
How much play is there around the axle-side bolt? I removed the existing Track Bar to see if it was ovaled...it was not. But there is some play around that bolt, is that normal? I just don't know how tight the tolerances are supposed to be on that part.

It's probably a bad bushing. I'm in for this question as well, just found my track bar is loose too

invmgmt 04-13-2013 06:23 PM

Okay...bought the JKS. Now the problem is that I have broken TWO 9/16" bits trying to enlarge the hole. The only bits at Home Depot are Milwaulkee in a 9/16". Seriously, broke two. Guess I will see what Lowes has, but these are supposed to drill steel.

Any ideas??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.