Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   So pissed...water spots. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/so-pissed-water-spots-229875.html)

Coronatj 03-23-2013 10:34 PM

So pissed...water spots.

The jeep has been parked in the driveway for a while. I hadn't noticed that the sprinklers had been hitting my wheels on the right side of the jeep. I think the wheels are ruined, I have hard water spots all over the wheels.

Tried some cleaning today, including some Meguiars water spot removal, as well as some spray and play wipe and wash stuff. The Meguiars did not work. I think my wheels are blown, and it looks like shit. So pissed.

The mineral content of the water out here is brutal. Anyone have any ideas besides adjusting my efen sprinklers?

I will try some white vinegar and distilled water tomorrow see how that goes. I've heard Duragloss works, but who knows.

Appreciate it if anyone had some good ideas.

Patrick H 03-23-2013 10:36 PM

Black powder coated?

Coronatj 03-23-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3544440)
Black powder coated?

Black Rock 9625851240 Black Rock Desperado 962-Series Jeep Wheels

Moabrubi 03-23-2013 10:45 PM

Go wheeling. Rocks will take it off like nothin. If you want to sell them I don't mind water spots. I need new 15" wheels anyway :D.

Weird because I have never had hard water issues like that..

Norcal73 03-23-2013 10:48 PM

CLR (calcium lime rust) will remove the water spots but I dont know if it will do anything bad to the rims. We have hard water too and its a circus making sure the sprinklers never hit the cars.....might try clr on a small spot to test. Good luck let us know

Patrick H 03-23-2013 10:55 PM

I use Blue Magic metal polish to remove water spots from my windows. It won't hurt your powder coating. I also used it to remove stains from forest fire smoke/ rain (yes, rain and heavy smoke together) from the paint on my white truck.

Dew 03-23-2013 11:02 PM

I've got some pretty bad water spots on my hood that I haven't been able to get rid of. Would like to know if anything you try works.

Patrick H 03-23-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dew (Post 3544538)
I've got some pretty bad water spots on my hood that I haven't been able to get rid of. Would like to know if anything you try works.

Blue Magic will remove them.;)

UnlimitedRubicon 03-23-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 3544434)
I think the wheels are ruined, I have hard water spots all over the wheels.

Joking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coronatj (Post 3544434)
Appreciate it if anyone had some good ideas.

Don't sweat the small "stuff".

OKLAHOMA_TJ 03-24-2013 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Can someone recommend something for mud stains? This is after 2 carwashes!

Oh yeah... If you look real close, I gace hard water stains all over

K9HDLR 03-24-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA_TJ (Post 3544784)

Haha...,

Rolf 03-24-2013 01:06 AM

I agree with Moabrubi. Rocks or deep gritty mud will take care of them in no time. I removed the shine from my alloys with mud with great success.

K9HDLR 03-24-2013 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try your local car wash or detail shop. I saw this sign today. These guys will know what to use that won't damage anything and you won't wear yourself out.

TJDave 03-24-2013 12:31 PM

My Jeep did not have a mark on it when I bought it.

After my first off road adventure, it came back with some nice NW Pin-striping installed.

I was so happy.:)

What's a water spot? What's it look like?

Raiderfan001 03-24-2013 12:35 PM

Since the wheels are ruined clearly the only thing left to do is throw them away and buy new ones.

4Jeepn 03-24-2013 12:40 PM

Like most of you, I don't consider water spots a big deal..however it appears the OP does so keep that mind with your replies.

sinjin 03-24-2013 05:06 PM

vinegar will take off mineral deposits

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 03-24-2013 05:27 PM

For future use, a nice coat of wax/resin glaze will help prevent water spots from forming...and if they do form they're easy to remove.

mraybrake 03-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA_TJ (Post 3544784)

Yea, get it completly covered with that way it all looks the same haha or tell people that a white paint can exploded over your brown jeep with 3D paint job... probably your 2 cheepest options.

Full Spool 03-24-2013 10:26 PM

How to remove water spots by hand - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

c_goodnow 03-24-2013 10:29 PM

If vinegar doesn't work, try using that crappy drink mix called tang. (I think thats what it is).

It comes as a powder mix, just mix some up and give it a shot. We use it a lot for getting the stains out of sinks and tubs and such.

tsteb 03-24-2013 10:33 PM

Vinegar won't ruin the paint?

WaterDR 03-25-2013 12:24 AM

Wash the thing, then rinse it with distilled or demineralized water. Distilled water is devoid of all minerals which makes the water "hungry" for minerals and will want to dissolve hardness deposits. Adding a weak acid like vinegar will help the process and should not hurt the paint. You don't need that much vinegar and can alter based on results. It works great on windows.

I have not ever tried this, but you could also add a few drops of jet dry to your rinse water. Jet dry i think is basically citric acid. Try it in one spot first. Frankly, distilled water may do the trip. It has always removed water spots for me. But, if the spots are old and really baked in you will need to drop the pH or use a clay bar.

BTW, it all depends on what caused the spots.....as in, what was in your water. If you have been using hard water that is also high in silica, it will be much, much harder to remove the spots. If the spots are a combination of a little soap and hardness, they can look really bad, but should be easy to remove. Soap scum is basically calcium-phosphate but it will readily dissolve in clean water.

The best tricks to avoid spots are to always wash and rinse with soft water and avoid direct sunlight. Also, never let the thing air dry.

EnglishBulldog1 03-25-2013 01:02 AM

Mother's and Meguiars make water spot remover. However I have not tried it. Wash and claying will also help.

hdb 03-25-2013 04:06 AM

would a magic eraser hurt the coating on your rims? I havent had anything I havent been able to remove with a magic eraser.

ChaddG 03-25-2013 06:26 AM

I do like the idea of giving the Jeep a mud bath! :D you will never see the spots after a bath like Oklahoma Tjs
Try a non scratching buffing compound or buffing pad.
Can we see some pictures of your water spots? In case someone else has this problem.

WaterDR 03-25-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdb (Post 3548920)
would a magic eraser hurt the coating on your rims? I havent had anything I havent been able to remove with a magic eraser.

Those are a abrasive and not sure I would try that on paint.

TJGARMA03 03-25-2013 12:03 PM

I know that Ford makes a acid and alkaline neutralizer that removes water spots. Also removes any other paint contaminants.

WaterDR 03-25-2013 12:27 PM

An alkaline won't remove water spots, but it will remove organic contaminants like oils and grease.

TJGARMA03 03-25-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3550239)
An alkaline won't remove water spots, but it will remove organic contaminants like oils and grease.

It's a 2 part process that's why I mentioned it. Alkaline neutralizer and acid neutralizer. Works really well but you have to be careful with this stuff. Also will need to be compounded, polished, and wax again as the 2 steps removes EVERYTHING!