Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rocker switches always on (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rocker-switches-always-on-229893.html)

2000jk 03-24-2013 12:10 AM

Rocker switches always on
 
I've heard people talk about wiring the power for their rocker switches to the dimmer switch so they only light up when the headlights/parking lights are on. Mine are always lit up and I want to change that. Anyone know how to change the wiring on a 2000 TJ so they act this way? Pictures would be appreciated if possible.

andrew127 03-24-2013 03:25 AM

I just back probed the factory switch plugs with the lights on till I found which wire was for illumination, then tapped into that wire. I cant remember off hand what the colour code is, Ill take a look today

2000jk 03-24-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew127 (Post 3544990)
I just back probed the factory switch plugs with the lights on till I found which wire was for illumination, then tapped into that wire. I cant remember off hand what the colour code is, Ill take a look today

Cool thanks

RUBI 4 MY MRS 03-24-2013 05:03 PM

Should be the orange wire. Maybe from the HVAC panel lights or the radio. I think you can also tap off fuse 3 in the block behind the glove box. (Test it before tapping it.)

2000jk 03-25-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUBI 4 MY MRS (Post 3546965)
Should be the orange wire. Maybe from the HVAC panel lights or the radio. I think you can also tap off fuse 3 in the block behind the glove box. (Test it before tapping it.)

Thanks RUBI

InvisiblePants 03-25-2013 06:04 PM

Re: Rocker switches always on
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RUBI 4 MY MRS (Post 3546965)
Should be the orange wire. Maybe from the HVAC panel lights or the radio. I think you can also tap off fuse 3 in the block behind the glove box. (Test it before tapping it.)

Yeah, I used the orange wire for the radio dimmer.

2000jk 03-25-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3551502)
Yeah, I used the orange wire for the radio dimmer.

Can you tap into the HVAC wire just as easy cuz I have an aftermarket stereo and the wires are a mess back there.

InvisiblePants 03-25-2013 09:53 PM

Re: Rocker switches always on
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000jk (Post 3552607)
Can you tap into the HVAC wire just as easy cuz I have an aftermarket stereo and the wires are a mess back there.

Yes, you can even tap the 12v lighter wire.

2000jk 03-25-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3552646)
Yes, you can even tap the 12v lighter wire.

That will make them on whenever the ignition is on not just when the headlights are on but that could be a possibility.

InvisiblePants 03-26-2013 03:10 AM

Re: Rocker switches always on
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000jk (Post 3553144)
That will make them on whenever the ignition is on not just when the headlights are on but that could be a possibility.



I may have tapped into the ashtray light lead. I don't have an ashtray so I don't know if they even had a light. Although I think my cig lighter had a light attached to it. If my headlights are not on the lower light in the switches does not light up, but if I switch them on the top light, lights up. I am going to be tearing into the dash tomorrow so I will figure out how I ran them.

Picture to show lower vs upper light incase I confused anyone. The left switch is off, right is on.
Attachment 227635

I have found all sorts of random wires in the dash from the PO.

2000jk 03-29-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3553495)

I may have tapped into the ashtray light lead. I don't have an ashtray so I don't know if they even had a light. Although I think my cig lighter had a light attached to it. If my headlights are not on the lower light in the switches does not light up, but if I switch them on the top light, lights up. I am going to be tearing into the dash tomorrow so I will figure out how I ran them.

Picture to show lower vs upper light incase I confused anyone. The left switch is off, right is on.

I have found all sorts of random wires in the dash from the PO.

Good luck trying to sort out those wires

InvisiblePants 03-29-2013 04:48 PM

So i did some digging and checked how i ran power to the lower light of the switches. I have a 97 se soft top. When i pulled the switch panel there was a plug behind the right blank. I spliced into it. This allows me to dim them with the dimmer knob. I did not tap the ashtray or cig lighter as i had mentioned.

2000jk 03-29-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3569012)
So i did some digging and checked how i ran power to the lower light of the switches. I have a 97 se soft top. When i pulled the switch panel there was a plug behind the right blank. I spliced into it. This allows me to dim them with the dimmer knob. I did not tap the ashtray or cig lighter as i had mentioned.

I have that plug also, any idea what its for?

XxHelmetxX 03-29-2013 05:03 PM

invisiblepants where did u get that zombie lights switch

Hiatus83 03-29-2013 08:19 PM

sorry to mess up the thread but where did you get those rocker switches from looks nice i wanna hook up my sub and exterior lighting with rockers like that

2000jk 03-29-2013 08:24 PM

They're from otrattw.com

InvisiblePants 03-29-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000jk (Post 3569749)
They're from otrattw.com

Yep, and their shipping was pretty quick too. Getting ready to order another switch for my aux reverse light.

Hiatus83 03-29-2013 09:10 PM

another mod i wanna do... where are you mounting them above or under your bumper

InvisiblePants 03-29-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiatus83 (Post 3569984)
another mod i wanna do... where are you mounting them above or under your bumper

I got a harbor freight spot and am mounting it on top of the rear bumper. I would end up ripping it off when off road if i went under. Im using a hole from the factory milk jug below the license plate. I may add another but first want to see how 1 does. It will be quick $5 mod. I may just tap the reverse wire until i get another switch.

2000jk 03-30-2013 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePants (Post 3570341)

I got a harbor freight spot and am mounting it on top of the rear bumper. I would end up ripping it off when off road if i went under. Im using a hole from the factory milk jug below the license plate. I may add another but first want to see how 1 does. It will be quick $5 mod. I may just tap the reverse wire until i get another switch.

I actually just did a similar mod, tapped mine into the reverse lights.



Attachment 229122


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.