Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Water Pump (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/water-pump-230003.html)

03WranglerRubicon 03-24-2013 02:59 PM

Water Pump
 
Code for the water pump came on in my jeep this weekend. how hard is it to replace. i do not have the best mechanical skill but i am willing to learn. i have seen some vids on youtube on how to change the waterpump and it does not look to hard, but i would like some personal experience from someone who has done this already. also, should i change the radiator? how should i see if it needs to be replaced. if it needs to be replaced then what would be a really good aftermarket radiator that would be just as expensive as a stock radiator.

Thanks for the help

BLK00TJ 03-24-2013 03:35 PM

No need to change your radiator but there are other things that I think should be done along with the water pump. First off, get an OEM water pump and not the cheap Chinese made ones from AutoZone. Yes, the AZ ones come with a lifetime warranty but that warranty won't cover other damage incurred when it fails on you. Along with the waterpump, you should also replace at minimum the thermostat. I would also recommend your upper and lower hoses as well if they are looking worn out. Finally, since you already have to drain all the coolant, a flush and fill should be done. Altogether it's about a 4 hour job for a first timer. I had to do mine last year and messed up the gasket on my first try. I did it again a few days later (had to repeat the same steps) and was finished in about 2 hours. All you need is the waterpump, thermostat, and associated gaskets (don't use rtv) as well as hoses if you want to do them.

Take your time and make sure to get ALL of the old gasket off of the motor block with a good scrapper.

downs14 03-24-2013 03:51 PM

waterpump
 
Do not over tighten!!!! I cracked my goose neck and it didnt take much.

BadPenny 03-24-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3546665)
No need to change your radiator but there are other things that I think should be done along with the water pump. First off, get an OEM water pump and not the cheap Chinese made ones from AutoZone. Yes, the AZ ones come with a lifetime warranty but that warranty won't cover other damage incurred when it fails on you. Along with the waterpump, you should also replace at minimum the thermostat. I would also recommend your upper and lower hoses as well if they are looking worn out. Finally, since you already have to drain all the coolant, a flush and fill should be done. Altogether it's about a 4 hour job for a first timer. I had to do mine last year and messed up the gasket on my first try. I did it again a few days later (had to repeat the same steps) and was finished in about 2 hours. All you need is the waterpump, thermostat, and associated gaskets (don't use rtv) as well as hoses if you want to do them.

Take your time and make sure to get ALL of the old gasket off of the motor block with a good scraper.

X2 on everything above^^

tangofox007 03-24-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03WranglerRubicon (Post 3546553)
Code for the water pump came on in my jeep this weekend.

What code was that?

03WranglerRubicon 03-24-2013 05:40 PM

P1689 I think this is what it said. Not right next to my jeep, sorry.
What is a good waterpump? Where should I look to buy one

mickeygriffin 03-24-2013 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Changed mine today.... I've had a harder time changing a tire on my bicycle before. Rig rides 1000x better. I'm was embarrassed after lookin at the old one.

mickeygriffin 03-24-2013 05:58 PM

The fan n goose neck gave me the mode probs. Also.... Take you time and remove that old gasket. Scrapper n a razor are your friends.

tangofox007 03-24-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03WranglerRubicon (Post 3547077)
P1689 I think this is what it said. Not right next to my jeep, sorry.

I would suggest that you verify the DTC before you do anything else. If, in fact, you are planning to replace a water pump based solely on a DTC.

03WranglerRubicon 03-24-2013 07:16 PM

What's a DTC?

tangofox007 03-24-2013 07:19 PM

Diagnostic Trouble Code.

05wrangler 03-24-2013 09:00 PM

here is my write up I did on my 05 http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-w...up-178292.html

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn 03-24-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 3547198)
I would suggest that you verify the DTC before you do anything else. If, in fact, you are planning to replace a water pump based solely on a DTC.

Exactly...tango knows his stuff so i'd listen to his advice. The water pump won't throw a code so double check which code was shown. What symptoms are you having anyway? Just the code? Any overheating, coolant from the pump weep hole, unusual noise, wobbly fan/fan shaft?

03WranglerRubicon 03-24-2013 10:13 PM

error codes P1698 and P1687.

I know one is the cluster, gauges ocassonally die.

Other code reaserch showed was the water pump.

there is no leakage, unusual noise or wobbly fan/fan shaft.

last weekend i did drain the fluid and refill it with distilled water and coolant.
When i refilled the radiator i poured 1 gal of coolant in the rad. and about half gal of distilled water in the rad. the other gal of distilled water i poured into the overfill tank. maybe this messed something up?

tangofox007 03-24-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03WranglerRubicon (Post 3548277)

Other code reaserch showed was the water pump.

I would suggest additional research. And cancel the water pump order.

RUBI 4 MY MRS 03-24-2013 11:10 PM

  • P1687 - No Cluster Bus Message
  • P1698 - No CCD Messages Received From PCM
Water pump????????

03WranglerRubicon 03-26-2013 10:48 PM

aww shuks. haha i must have misstyped the code. so what is P1698?

RUBI 4 MY MRS 03-27-2013 12:42 AM

Got an auto trans? It looks like the 1687 won’t set the CEL (check engine light) but is a “companion” to further explain the 1698 which is what set the CEL.

Found this here (Grand Cherokee but probably applies to Wrangler too(?):

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes


P1687---No MIC BUS Message---No CCD/J1850 messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster (MIC) Module.


P1698 (M)-- No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM -- No CCD/J1850 messages received from the electronic transmission control module (EATX) or the Asian transmission controller.

OR

P1698 (M) -- No CCD/J1850 Message From PCM --Bus communication failure to PCM. A “Companion DTC” was set in both the ECM and PCM. May be caused by after market remote starter. Remove after market remote starter. This code can be set as the remote starter is activated and the pcm receives ignition run voltage and the tcm does not.

I don’t know any more than this so you may have to do some searching. I did see this so you might contact him & see what he found.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/p169...as-226410.html

03WranglerRubicon 03-29-2013 08:21 PM

yea i have an auto transmission.... i hope it is nothing major

03WranglerRubicon 03-30-2013 10:50 AM

where would i find the transmission computer? do you think P1687 is a result from P1698.

tangofox007 03-30-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03WranglerRubicon (Post 3571686)
where would i find the transmission computer?

In the engine compartment, left front side. Behind the windshield washer fluid bottle.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+...ml%3B640%3B456

RUBI 4 MY MRS 03-30-2013 01:57 PM

Notice in post 18 that the P1687 does not have a (M) after it but the P1698 does. That means that a P1687 code will not set the CEL (also called MIL or DTC). It may be stored but won’t set the CEL. It is the P1698 that sets the CEL. Now which one causes which I don’t know but the P1687 MAY be the “companion DTC” shown in the 2nd P1698. That I can’t say. Either way you are getting both so they both must be related to what is happening to your jeep. Seems to be a communication problem somewhere - MIC, PCM, &/or TCM. Check all the connection to all 3.

From theGrand Cherokee link above:

(M) Check Engine Lamp (MIL) will illuminate during engine operation if this Diagnostic Trouble Code was recorded (depending if required by CARB and/or EPA). MIL is displayed as an engine icon on the instrument cluster.

Chili99 03-31-2013 05:48 AM

I was gonna say.....code for a water pump?????

either way good luck with the fix


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.