Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Squeaky Steering System (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/squeaky-steering-system-230019.html)

NWStewart79 03-24-2013 04:09 PM

Squeaky Steering System

Each time I turn the steering wheel, regardless of direction, the steering system squeaks from underneath the hood. I've had another set of ears verify the location, but we can't figure out how to make it stop. I've lubed the bushing between the firewall and the cab, as well as applied white lithium grease to the nylon-appearing bushing where the steering shaft changes angles. Outside temperature doesn't seem to have any affect, as I've owned this Jeep over a year and it seems to keep getting sqeakier. Please help!

SeaLevelJeeper 04-04-2013 08:58 PM

I can't help. But my steering wheel shaft is also squeaking. Although mine sounds like its coming more towards the interior side and not on the other side under the hood. It also seems as though its louder when its cold, in the mornings.

Everyone always asks if my steering wheel is going to fall off or if I have power stearing..... Everyone is stupid.

XwXCHADWICKYXwX 04-04-2013 09:09 PM

My steering wheel is a squeaker as well

InvisiblePants 04-04-2013 09:20 PM

My squeak is more of a moan sound. Only happens when really cold. I just hit it with some white lithium when is starts.

Jerry Bransford 04-04-2013 09:25 PM

Common problem. Spray the rubber boot on the firewall with white lithium grease where the steering shaft passes through it.

Patrick H 04-04-2013 09:30 PM

I had the squeaky steering shaft. I sprayed the boot with Amsoil red spray grease (since that's what I had on hand) and it's been quiet since.

PStov98TJ 04-04-2013 11:39 PM

What if the squeaking only occurs when it's cold/the engine is first turned on? Still the boot you think? Or just new PS fluid? If so what brand/type? Sorry for the dumb questions. I'd go out and try greasing up the boot first but I'm up at college away from my favorite toy :D so I like to have a plan of action set for the next time I'm home for little quick fixes like this

Norcal73 04-05-2013 12:01 AM

I put marine grease on the steering shaft between the rubber boot and shaft and its quiet until the grease wears off. Reapply when it starts squeaking again.

InvisiblePants 04-05-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3596815)
What if the squeaking only occurs when it's cold/the engine is first turned on? Still the boot you think? Or just new PS fluid? If so what brand/type? Sorry for the dumb questions. I'd go out and try greasing up the boot first but I'm up at college away from my favorite toy :D so I like to have a plan of action set for the next time I'm home for little quick fixes like this

Try greasing the boot first. I spray some on the engine side of the firewall and under the dash.

PStov98TJ 04-05-2013 12:36 AM

Can y'all post up pics of the boot you're referring to? Sorry, I'm more of a visual type person... Thanks in advance!

InvisiblePants 04-05-2013 02:03 AM

Took some googling, but i found an old post here with a pic.

Post number 8

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/sque...mn-126699.html

Norcal73 04-05-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3597016)
Can y'all post up pics of the boot you're referring to? Sorry, I'm more of a visual type person... Thanks in advance!

Cant get pic till tonight but look under your dash and follow steering column to firewall. Just before you get to firewall should be a rubber boot. Slide boot back and grease all over then let boot go. You will be amaZed at the difference.

Notoriously_rob 04-05-2013 05:59 AM

Dont nuke it- ur Siri column goes through Zynga of the jeep. On the floor of the tub for the Siri column goes through it you will see a rubber boot. Through some grease on that bad boy and it will never squeak again...until it squeeks again next time ;)

03Ruth 04-05-2013 06:34 AM

^^wth?^^

Shark_13 04-05-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Ruth (Post 3597439)
^^wth?^^

Lol auto correct on phone I'm guessing :)

UFOtestpilot 04-05-2013 08:02 AM

Ok, I've been looking for two hours now, and I can't find the Zynga anywhere. I'm starting to think they forgot to put one on my Jeep.

Patrick H 04-05-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot
Ok, I've been looking for two hours now, and I can't find the Zynga anywhere. I'm starting to think they forgot to put one on my Jeep.

It's actually "ba-zinga". Look again. ;) I found my ba-zinga when I was 15, but it was in a '72 Dodge Dart.

UFOtestpilot 04-05-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3597893)

It's actually "ba-zinga". Look again. ;) I found my ba-zinga when I was 15, but it was in a '72 Dodge Dart.

Ah, definitely want to apply lubricant where it goes into the boot. Much less squeaking that way.

Jerry Bransford 04-05-2013 10:15 AM

Don't make finding the rubber steering shaft boot more difficult than it really is. Follow the steering shaft to the firewall, you'll find the boot.

InvisiblePants 04-05-2013 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics from the link i posted.

Engine side
Attachment 231970

Cabin side
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/06/hazequ2u.jpg

NC Bear 04-05-2013 12:47 PM

its the rubber boot on the inside of the Jeep at the floorboard.

NWStewart79 04-24-2013 01:23 PM

Hey guys...thanks for all of the quick replies! Sorry I'm not able to get on here more often...but the boot wasn't my issue. I tried coating inside that with white lithium grease even before I signed up for this forum :( I have even double-checked the Zynga...greased the carburetor and topped off the taillight fluid, just to be safe;)

My problem appears to be in the nylon bushing where the steering shaft changes angles. At least thats what two sets of ears say after taking turns turning the wheel and listening around.

Any ideas in that area?