Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Removing stock fog lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/removing-stock-fog-lights-230259.html)

JeepandMud 03-25-2013 05:01 PM

Removing stock fog lights
 
I busted both of my lights at some point and all I have now are the wires and the bracket. So I'm wanting to take them out completely. I have the 13mm socket and will be getting zip ties soon. The issue I'm having are two: 1) which way am I turning the bolt on the side of the bracket to get the bolt out. And 2) where under the hood do the wires connect to? I've read the bolt are in the hollow part of the bumper, but I've checked and it isn't there. My jeep is a 2000.

Thanx in advance

jp2611 03-25-2013 05:06 PM

FWIW...on my '04 TJ the wiring goes up about 6 to 8 inches from the bumper/ light..and there is a plug...just unplug it. Under the fender, part of the same wiring to headlights.

The lights are secured with conventional hardware on mine as well...which means "righty tighty/ lefty loosey" I know it is corny but it helps remember. as you look down on a bolt, (or up at a bolt) it turns to the left to loosen.

Gold Miner 03-25-2013 05:08 PM

... also, don't forget to remove the relay. It's located in the under-hood fuse box and labeled.

jp2611 03-25-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 3551092)
... also, don't forget to remove the relay. It's located in the under-hood fuse box and labeled.

Good point never considered that

Patrick H 03-25-2013 05:11 PM

As stated, the plug is just up inside the front of the fender. As for the fasteners, they're regular right hand threads, so, righty tighty, lefty loosey

JeepandMud 03-25-2013 06:09 PM

Alright. Good to know where the wires come up under. I opened the hood and I can find the fuse box easily, but it was those stupid wires lol. As for the bolt, I tried going towards the grill and it seemed to loosen up, then it went tight again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

jp2611 03-25-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3551326)
Alright. Good to know where the wires come up under. I opened the hood and I can find the fuse box easily, but it was those stupid wires lol. As for the bolt, I tried going towards the grill and it seemed to loosen up, then it went tight again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

probably need 2 wrenches to hold the nut on the bottom

OhSixTJ 03-25-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3551326)
Alright. Good to know where the wires come up under. I opened the hood and I can find the fuse box easily, but it was those stupid wires lol. As for the bolt, I tried going towards the grill and it seemed to loosen up, then it went tight again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Removing the drivers side: handle towards rear, pull towards you.

Passenger side: handle to rear, push away from you.

JeepandMud 03-25-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3551335)
probably need 2 wrenches to hold the nut on the bottom

Glad I got someone coming over Wednesday to help clean the engine. Can put her to work some more :dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSixTJ (Post 3551487)
Removing the drivers side: handle towards rear, pull towards you.

Passenger side: handle to rear, push away from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSixTJ (Post 3551487)
Removing the drivers side: handle towards rear, pull towards you.

Passenger side: handle to rear, push away from you.

Ahha, figured I was doing it wrong anyways, even though I could get the bolts to turn lol.

OhSixTJ 03-25-2013 10:25 PM

:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.